• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011
    That told em! tongue
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer

Great score, very enjoyable album. Not so good in the film but then the film wasn't very good anyway.

Thought the film was fine. Never read the book, though. Love the score both in the film and outside.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011 edited
    NP: RARITIES (John Williams)

A long playlist of rare and unreleased tracks from film and otherwise. See the contents here:

http://www.celluloidtunes.net/non-website/williams2.jpg
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE DA VINCI CODE - Hans Zimmer

Great score, very enjoyable album. Not so good in the film but then the film wasn't very good anyway.

Thought the film was fine. Never read the book, though. Love the score both in the film and outside.

I read the book, it grips like a vice and is a proper page-turner, it's also awfully written, i kinda enjoyed it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I'm currently spinning a playlist with tracks that are are 15 minutes is length - nothing shorter that 14:59 and nothing longer that 16:00... and NO edited or concert suites. This is for something I'm doing this month... and if you have been following my show over the years you kinda already no what I'm up to. I'm not going to give away the playlist but I will say that out of the soundtrack 3771 albums that I own (70,689 tracks) there are only 14 cues that fit my specifications above. The first is James Horner's epic "The River Crossing to Stalingrad" from the fantastic film Enemy at the Gates which I'm playing right now!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Erik Woods wrote
    I'm currently spinning a playlist with tracks that are are 15 minutes is length - nothing shorter that 14:59 and nothing longer that 16:00... and NO edited or concert suites. This is for something I'm doing this month... and if you have been following my show over the years you kinda already no what I'm up to. I'm not going to give away the playlist but I will say that out of the soundtrack 3771 albums that I own (70,689 tracks) there are only 14 cues that fit my specifications above. The first is James Horner's epic "The River Crossing to Stalingrad" from the fantastic film Enemy at the Gates which I'm playing right now!

-Erik-

I only have 3 out of my 12200-track playlist.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Bulworth - Ennio Morricone

Wonderful. Especially the first two tracks (to use the same joke I always use, which I probably stole from franz_conrad in the first place).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Erik Woods wrote
    The first is James Horner's epic "The River Crossing to Stalingrad" from the fantastic film Enemy at the Gates which I'm playing right now!

-Erik-

I'm also betting Horner has multiple entries in that list, right?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    The first is James Horner's epic "The River Crossing to Stalingrad" from the fantastic film Enemy at the Gates which I'm playing right now!

-Erik-

Only two more.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Martijn wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

What's the score like as a whole?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    To me it's just a drone. I found it boring as fook.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Depressing, relentless, very atmospheric, with a romantic theme and actually underrated.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2011 edited
    It's chalked full of the four note danger motif - which irritates me to no end - but there are some good themes and good old fashion Russian styled choral music. It's not one of his strongest score but you can download my suite HERE! which contains all of the major highlights.

-Erik-
  4. Erik Woods wrote
    It's chalked full of the four note danger motif - which irritates me to no end - but there are some good themes and good old fashion Russian styled choral music. It's not one of his strongest score but you can download my suite HERE! which contains all of the major highlights.

-Erik-

Cheers Erik!

I've been listening to a Ten Tracks Today from the 1960s. Particular highlights were the great theme from Yojimbo, one of the quieter cues from North's Spartacus and a track from Quincy Jones' The Split.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Alan - Put that microphone to good use and start producing a "Ten-Tracks" radio show for me. wink

-Erik-
  5. Southall wrote
    Bulworth - Ennio Morricone

Wonderful. Especially the first two tracks (to use the same joke I always use, which I probably stole from franz_conrad in the first place).

Oh dear. If we have to apologise for stolen (I called them borrowed wink ) jokes, then I'm still recycling your saxon gold quip over here.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

To me the four-note motif is very fitting in that score, not more fitting than its great use in Willow, but much better than it's rather jarring use in The Perfect Storm and, adding insult to injury, one of my all-time favorite Horner action tracks, which is Coast Guard Rescue.
  7. Erik Woods wrote
    Alan - Put that microphone to good use and start producing a "Ten-Tracks" radio show for me. wink

-Erik-

What sort of a length of time would you want?

Mind you, sometimes I struggle writing a couple of sentences as it is!!
  8. After hearing a particularly strong Alberto Iglesias score recently (The Skin I Live In) I am listening to another Iglesias score that I quite like! His score for the upcoming Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - streaming here - sounds good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    After hearing a particularly strong Alberto Iglesias score recently (The Skin I Live In) I am listening to another Iglesias score that I quite like! His score for the upcoming Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - streaming here - sounds good.

I listened to it yesterday and liked it, though it did seem to go on a bit longer than would have been ideal. Liked what seemed to be a little nod to a past John Le Carre adaptation (The Russia House) and a few nice Herrmannesque touches too.
  9. Iglesias seems to be the man to go to for modern Le Carre adaptations?

I'm a huge fan of the Goldsmith score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2011 edited
    Days of Heaven - Morricone

Dreams are made of this. Sublime. This new release has propelled it into my Morricone top five. Can't remember the last time I listened to a new album as much as I've listened to this one. It makes me yearn afresh for a release of the most similar music Morricone would go on to write, What Dreams May Come.
  10. It is wonderful, yes. And it makes me wonder if there isn't a musical Terrence Malick connection. Not just in the quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

He, he...Horner was the first name that sprang to mind when I read your "theme". smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Southall wrote

Dreams are made of this. Sublime. This new release has propelled it into my Morricone top five. Can't remember the last time I listened to a new album as much as I've listened to this one. It makes me yearn afresh for a release of the most similar music Morricone would go on to write, What Dreams May Come.

Stop recommending this! It means I must add it to my buy list (the previous, abbreviated version).
    I am extremely serious.
  11. The longer version features the original program in the first half of the first CD anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE REIVERS (John Williams)

Wonderful, rambunctious score that gets down and dirty with fiddles, banjos and the kitchen sink while having a lush orchestral sound at the same time. I can certainly see why Spielberg liked this so much to hire Williams for SUGARLAND EXPRESS (which is quite dreary in comparison).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote

Stop recommending this! It means I must add it to my buy list (the previous, abbreviated version).

The only problem with that version is that it has really appalling sound. The same programme of music on the new disc sounds considerably better.
  12. I just played HEAVEN AND EARTH by Kitaro.

I love that theme. That first track is super powerful. There are several other tracks on the album that are also very good. I'm a little put off by some of Kitaro's synthy new age tendencies. For example, I quite dislike the first couple minutes of the end titles. But I really enjoy a lot of this score when he's using real instruments.

I've thought about picking up Kitaro's THE SOONG SISTERS. Anyone familiar with that? How does that one compare to this? Is there much of his new age-y synthiness going on there?
  13. franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Conan the Barbarian (Poledouris)

Fifthly, what a great score. Who can do this now? May he who can name a name, name it!

In epic-ness, Gabriel Yared. Look no further than "Troy", and when his rejected score to "Les Misirables" comes to CD, then look at that, too.

But we won't get that ad-libbing and free play found in Basil's score; as I understand, Yared very carefull plans his scores, with maybe some ad-libbed solos now and then.

As aweful as the Conan remake was, hey should have hired him just so we could have something to droll over later.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.