• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011
    NP: NIXON (John Williams)

Very good score. Love the religious sound in "Meeting with Mao", as well as the Americana bits, which he always does brilliantly. Some eerie suspense music too.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: NIXON (John Williams)

Very good score. Love the religious sound in "Meeting with Mao", as well as the Americana bits, which he always does brilliantly. Some eerie suspense music too.

I think it's a great score and one I return to frequently over the years, I prefer it over JFK ( which I also like a lot ), Williams employs what I can only describe as his 'poignant' sound in this score, best utilised in The Farewell Scene, IMO there is no other composer who does poignant as well as JW, only Thomas Newman comes close.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011 edited
    You do have quite a few Williamses, don't you, Tim? (I'm talking about Johns, I KNOW you have lots of Ralph Vaughans).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Not as many as you Thor as I'm not a Williams completist but yeah, I probably have about 60-70 CD's by him.

I also have 50+ by Vaughan Williams, obviously, many of these are different versions of the same works.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Looking to "kick some butt" (said in my best aggressive Scots-American hybrid accent). Currently listening to some video game soundtracks from a couple of EA Sports games:

EA Sports NCAA Football 11 & 12 - both Colin O'Malley

Typical in-your-face, aggressive brass and percussion based music. Entirely synth-based, it's great!!

This about sums it up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8qw3oWvDpo
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    ....I didn't think such games actually HAD scores...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  2. I was listening to Francis Lai's Bilitis for the first time and when I got to the track "Les Deux Nudités" I noticed a bit of a resemblance to something from Murray Gold's latter Doctor Who later scores (maybe something to do with Amy Pond (wishful thinking perhaps!?)).

Can anyone who is familiar with both scores maybe help out? Here's a link to the Lai track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vJ4khSJVxw
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    The secret of NIMH (Goldsmith)

Meh.

Peter slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2011 edited
    NP: Batman Begins (Recording Session) - Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard (and Ramin and Mel)

It's amazing how low key some of the music. Very moody and atmospheric but always with some thematic material. Synthy and organic at the same time. I do enjoy the thematic material very much, the ostinato is infamous, but the horn theme is often not mention since it's the A section to the B's grand melody (heard in full in Molossus) and then there's that recognizable two note orchestral statement. The two composer's style doesn't quite mesh completely, but they work together rather well. Of course, there'll never be an official complete score, so I'll keep on being happy that this version got released.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    plindboe wrote

Meh.

Peter slant

shocked It's not Goldsmith's best but its still fantastic compared to most 2011 stuff...
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote

Meh.

Peter slant

Agree totally! I sold my CD awhile back.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    plindboe wrote

Meh.

Peter slant

shocked It's not Goldsmith's best but its still fantastic compared to most 2011 stuff...

It's a wonderful score! There's a few bits I don't like ( that BLARING trumpet, what the hey was JG thinking ) but mostly it's a wonderfully mystical score with great use of choir, this is Jerry channeling Ravel and Debussy and I like it a lot!
  3. plindboe wrote

Meh.

Peter slant

I'll be happy to trade you "Meh" CD off you. I got a few pressed CDs, and of course a large list of unreleased/expanded scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE TIME MACHINE - Russell Garcia

One of the great Golden Age scores IMO and a fabulous film to boot ( why oh why did they make an awful remake ), the romantic theme is one of the most yearning you'll hear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Vibes - James Horner

One of the most original scores of Horner's career! Superb! Fantastic! Brilliant!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH - David Arnold

It's a shame there's some fine music left off the release, on the other hand I couldn't handle a complete release.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Two of my all time favorite Bond cues are on that album... actually, it's just one cue spanning two tracks... LAME!

"Show Me the Money/Come in 007, Your Time Is Up"

I have no issues with rolling down the car windows and turning this f__ker up to 11 for everyone to hear! Great, GREAT track! Awesome rendition of the Bond theme as well!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. There's a couple of really cool tracks in that score. The Bunker action scene is one of my favourite Bond action cues.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: NONE BUT THE BRAVE (John Williams)

It has a couple of nice tracks, but once again the C&C monster comes in and kills all listening pleasure. There's simply too much melodramatic sturm-und-drang going on over such a long time -- and without respite -- that it becomes tiring and grating. Too bad. It deserved better. Love the Rozsa licks in the main theme, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2011
    NP: NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T (John Williams)

Breezy, busy and fun. I have zero interest in the new expanded release, but this is a swingin' album that I often return to. The film is rather poor, though. The film misses were more frequent than the hits for Williams in the 60's.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. NP: Well, not right now, but listened to Taras Bulba this morning. Tadlow's version.

Firstly, magnificent score. One of the great greats.
    Secondly, the material I haven't heard before is largely great - it doesn't feel like a wasted note is in this score. 'Gypsy Camp' is probably the most impressive addition. Wild, energetic stuff.
    Thirdly, great to hear all this in a modern-sounding rich recording. There are a couple of flubs by the orchestra (reminding me of the good old city of prague glory days), but they're not dominant enough to ruin the experience as a whole.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  6. I'm halfway through The Deathly Hallows Part II and I'm loving the theme in "Statues" and "Courtyard Apocalypse." I have no idea what the context is in the movie that requires those pieces but it sounds appropriately epic.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Played this morning -

Devil by Fernando Velazquez
    The main title piece is one of the best of recent years. Some wonderfully sinister string writing elsewhere though the score as a whole never matches the genius of that opening.

Beastly - Marcelo Zarvos
    The obvious budget limitations of a TV movie have restricted Zarvos's creativity here. The undernourished sound is a bit frustrating after a while though a couple of very nice, though fairly generic, melodic ideas keep it afloat. Not in the same class as his superb work on Sin Nombre.

Now onto what has become one of my absolute favourite releases of the year:
    the fantastic Ravagers by Fred Karlin. Brilliant score! dizzy
  7. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    I'm halfway through The Deathly Hallows Part II and I'm loving the theme in "Statues" and "Courtyard Apocalypse." I have no idea what the context is in the movie that requires those pieces but it sounds appropriately epic.

I'm not going to spoil the film, but it's a theme that represent the two sides in a big battle in the film. In Statues and Courtyard Apocalypse it represent the good side, and in Battlefield and the last minute of Showdown Desplat twist that theme for the bad side. And it really gives a lot of emotion in the film. Desplat also adapts that theme as a emotional motif in The Resurrection Stone (played in piano) and A New Beginning (played in the celesta).
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PAPER CHASE (John Williams)

Hardly ever talked about, this a gem of a score -- from the baroque stylings (Telemann etc.) to the reflective, introspective music for academia & the romance. The film is uneven, but the score is excellent.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    The Black Hole - John Barry

This long awaited complete score release is well worth buying!
    So good to finally have the extra cues most of which add to the experience.
    Oh, and I'm always a sucker for the use of the blaster beam in these scores. Love it!
  8. My copy of this has just been delivered!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE PATRIOT (John Williams)

Sure, it's Williams on Americana/patriotic autopilot, but it's difficult to DISlike it. Soaring and beautiful, as always.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    My copy of this has just been delivered!

Before ME!!!? uhm
  9. The postman did tell me you were next on his list. wink