• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2011
    NP : THE FILM AND TV MUSIC OF - Christopher Gunning

One of the best buys I've made this year.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. FalkirkBairn wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    NP: Antigua Vida Mia - Ángel Illarramendi

A very minimalistic score (violin, cello, bass, clarinet, marimba and bandoneon). It has a main theme very quirky and with some argentinean references. It doesn't have the typical string writing from Illarramendi, but it's very nice.

Definitely worth a listen. Illarramendi is a composer worth looking into in my opinion.

It's sad that he never was called to score american blockbuster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2011
    yonythemoony wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

A very minimalistic score (violin, cello, bass, clarinet, marimba and bandoneon). It has a main theme very quirky and with some argentinean references. It doesn't have the typical string writing from Illarramendi, but it's very nice.

Definitely worth a listen. Illarramendi is a composer worth looking into in my opinion.

Definitely worth looking into, but like Delerue, Morricone and others who wrote gobsmackingly beautiful melodies, the dissonant suspense material often grates, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011
    Days of Heaven - Morricone, E.

Well, this is stunning. Terrence Malick films may not be to everyone's tastes but they certainly inspire the best from film composers. It's hard to pick a favourite Malick soundtrack (like picking your favourite vital organ) but disc two of this would probably be my choice.
  2. NP: King Kong (Complete Recording Sessions) - James Newton Howard

It's so nice to finally hear this score in the original chronological order, and some music from the movie which didn't make it to the original CD release.
  3. yonythemoony wrote
    NP: King Kong (Complete Recording Sessions) - James Newton Howard

It's so nice to finally hear this score in the original chronological order, and some music from the movie which didn't make it to the original CD release.

Where did you get this? I've been scouring the Net for years looking for it!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yonythemoony wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

What, and be dictated as to what style to write in? I suspect that's why the likes of Legrand, Sarde, Morricone etc rarely work in that mind numbingly unoriginal wallpaper pasting environment.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

There's a bit of music I wish had been on the official release but at the same time I find that CD a chore to listen to all the way through.
  4. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

It has been leaked since yesterday, try to look for it.
  5. Timmer wrote
    yonythemoony wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    yonythemoony wrote

What, and be dictated as to what style to write in? I suspect that's why the likes of Legrand, Sarde, Morricone etc rarely work in that mind numbingly unoriginal wallpaper pasting environment.

I don't think he's going to be quit his style to fit into american films. He has scored a few co-produced British-Spanish films like Shampoo Horns, Twice Upon A Yesterday and Presence Of Mind, and those have his style intact:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvxsa-YNmvo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YC-E4la4xjQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EmQE_M79o4

Also, he said in a interview that he would never change his style for a film (he barely used synths in his scores). As a example, he said that if a director want him to make music that sound like Williams, he would say to him to hire Williams instead.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I like his integrity applause
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Über-cool.

Peter cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Been listening to alot of Bent Fabricius-Bjerre today. The gf loves this man's music, and I've introduced her to several gems.

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011 edited
    NP: StarCraft - Three guys and maybe more?

Excellent main title music. There are a lot temp tracks, but the variety of style makes the listening experience interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Fast Five - Brian Tyler

After seeing the good action movie, the score has grown much more on me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    plindboe wrote
    Been listening to alot of Bent Fabricius-Bjerre today. The gf loves this man's music, and I've introduced her to several gems.

Peter biggrin

She's got great taste in music. Bjerre is great.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I agree Thor. biggrin

Matador
    Ikke spot forelsket
    Nøglen til paradis
    Alley cat
    Pusterummet
    Forelsket i København
    Olsen banden
    Når skyggerne blir' lange
    Jeg sætter min hat som jeg vil
    Duerne flyver
    Peter von Scholten
    Flåklypa grand prix
    Kærlighed
    Tænk på et tal

All great themes. Alas, composed for danish (/norwegian) movies, few people will ever get to know these themes.

I'm sure there are many more amazing themes. Being a danish film score composer, he's criminally underreleased, and there must be countless goodies out there waiting for a release.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011 edited
    Well, I've championed the FLÅKLYPA theme quite a few times over the years, one of my absolute favourite film or tv themes of all time. Maybe some of that has seeped in.

But I agree....too bad he's really only famous over here (except for "Alley Cat", which was quite successful overseas).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: LOST IN SPACE, VOL. 3 (John Williams et.al.)

Difficult listening, but more accesible than 2, which was more accesible than 1. Some really dreamy textures here. These scores constitute Williams at his most avantgarde, IMO.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011
    lp wrote
    NP: StarCraft - Three guys and maybe more?

Excellent main title music. There are a lot temp tracks, but the variety of style makes the listening experience interesting.

The track "Fire and Fury" has such an awful rip of the second half of "Arrival to Earth" from Transformers, that once when my foobar was playing random tracks, I literally thought I was listening to one of the demos from the Transformers promo, and it took me two minutes to realize what it actually was.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011 edited
    NP : THE SON OF KONG - Max Steiner

great stuff, thanks a lot Tom beer

Some of "Dad's" motifs aside I was surprised how Gershwin like some of this score is? It's been decades since I've seen the film but I was also surprised at how much was still reasonably familiar.

A bit later I also played THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME, also a fine score, one motif reminded me of Nascimbene's THE VIKINGS and there's another that I kept expecting to develop into Williams 'The Emperor's Theme' from RETURN OF THE JEDI.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: THE MAN WHO LOVED CAT DANCING (John Williams/Michel Legrand)

It strikes me that the rejected Legrand score is quite interesting in its own right. Has a kind of Middle Eastern tinge, especially through his own vocalizations. I would certainly have loved to see the film with it....might have given it a less conventional soundscape.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE SON OF KONG - Max Steiner

great stuff, thanks a lot Tom beer

Some of "Dad's" motifs aside I was surprised how Gershwin like some of this score is? It's been decades since I've seen the film but I was also surprised at how much was still reasonably familiar.

A bit later I also played THE MOST DANGEROUS GAME, also a fine score, one motif reminded me of Nascimbene's THE VIKINGS and there's another that I kept expecting to develop into Williams 'The Emperor's Theme' from RETURN OF THE JEDI.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Days of Heaven (FSM)

biggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrinbiggrin

Peter biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Black Hole (Complete) - John Barry

I listened to this score for the first time in years last week in preparation for Intrada's complete version. While I really enjoyed the LP presentation I must say that the Intrada album is a stunner. My appreciation for this score has gone up tenfold! While I'm not a fan of recording engineer Dan Wallin, the remastering of his recording on this release is brilliant. Being the first ever digitally recorded film score, the master tapes were perfectly preserved and the people at Intrada gave a lot of time and care to the transfer of them for this CD. The sound is, for the lack of a better word, flawless!!! Dynamic and detailed with the right amount of stereo separation (something that is severily lacking in Wallin's present day mixes) And the blaster beam comes through as clear as day!

This is a classic Barry score that got the release it deserved. Bravo Intrada!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Black Hole (Complete) - John Barry

I listened to this score for the first time in years last week in preparation for Intrada's complete version. While I really enjoyed the LP presentation I must say that the Intrada album is a stunner. My appreciation for this score has gone up tenfold! While I'm not a fan of recording engineer Dan Wallin, the remastering of his recording on this release is brilliant. Being the first ever digitally recorded film score, the master tapes were perfectly preserved and the people at Intrada gave a lot of time and care to the transfer of them for this CD. The sound is, for the lack of a better word, flawless!!! Dynamic and detailed with the right amount of stereo separation (something that is severily lacking in Wallin's present day mixes) And the blaster beam comes through as clear as day!

This is a classic Barry score that got the release it deserved. Bravo Intrada!

-Erik-

cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Days of Heaven - Ennio Morricone

First listen... beautiful.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2011 edited
    I had to turn off Days of Heaven at the 20 track mark of the first disc. It not something you just play in the background! It's excellent music, don't get me wrong, but you have to be in the right mood for that sort of score and you need to be willing to dedicate a full 2 hours and 16 minutes to get through it all. I got through 47 minutes and it felt like 2 hours and 16 minutes. Not sure when I will return to this one.

I've moved onto a score that I let iTunes pick for me.

NP: City Hall by Jerry Goldsmith.

Those that love Goldsmith's other film noir scores... most notably Chinatown and L.A. Confidential will find this 30 minute Varese CD a perfect complement to those two classics.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Erik Woods wrote
    I had to turn off Days of Heaven at the 20 track mark of the first disc. It not something you just play in the background! It's excellent music, don't get me wrong, but you have to be in the right mood for that sort of score and you need to be willing to dedicate a full 2 hours and 16 minutes to get through it all. I got through 47 minutes and it felt like 2 hours and 16 minutes. Not sure when I will return to this one.

It's the most beautiful score ever composed. I don't get you.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Been listening 3 times in a row to this Up remix on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVxe5NIABsI

One of my all-time favourite youtube videos. Catchy, fun and bloody marvelous.

Peter punk