• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011
    Oh, the news of this score just keeps getting better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Atham wrote
    Scribe wrote
    I've been waiting to make that comment ever since I heard Bates was doing the score (of all people! at least Zimmer might have had some respect!) but I was holding out for some sign that Bates had at least, gotten out of bed in the morning when he was working on this score, as opposed to dragging samples around on his laptop while listening to the temp track on his ipod...

sadly but unsurprisingly, it does not appear to be so.

It does appear Tyler slept in on various occasions as two other "composers" are credited with scoring this also.

Who are these "composers"?
  1. Tim Williams and Dieter Hartmann. They have co-written most of the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    yonythemoony wrote
    Tim Williams and Dieter Hartmann. They have co-written most of the score.

Looks like those two have been working with Tyler Bates since the beginning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Cowboys & Aliens - HGW

Not atrocious at all. Very disappoint listen as far as a western score. But not bad as anything but.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2011 edited
    NP: The Black Hole - John Barry

With the rumors of Intrada's August 23rd release being a restored, remastered, complete, non-limited edition of this score I thought I'd give the original LP presentation a spin. It has been YEARS since I've listened to this. I haven't seen the film since I was a kid. I have no clue how much music is missing and whatnot... and I know an expanded treatment of this (especially it's premiere CD release) is a holy grail for most but I find that the LP presentation is an excellent presentation of the music even though it is only under 31 minutes in length! Lots of memorable themes and deliciously dark material!

BTW, I got a fever and the only prescription is more blaster beam!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Yeah... even at 31 minutes I occasionally find my attention wandering, but it will be nice to have an official CD of it for the first time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    NP: Kundun - Philip Glass

There's a wonderful clarity to this music. It's message is clear with no unnecessary frippery required.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    Erik Woods wrote
    deliciously dark material!

You sound like Thor! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Disappearance of Garcia Lorca - Mark McKenzie

This is wonderful. Beautiful riches abound.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011 edited
    Jim Ware wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Humm... I thought I had the trademark on that line!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. NP: Conan The Barbarian 3D - Tyler Bates

I am finding that this is certainly not unlistenable but the thing most annoys me so far (and I am only as far as "Egg Race" so far) is that Bates doesn't spend too long on any idea he has. He just jumps about clipping together a motif here, a bit of a theme there, then slips in a bit of atmosphere and finishes off with a bit of generic ethnic orchestration. The onscreen demands may mean that he feels he needs to highlight every single nuance of the action (or whatever is on screen) but it's too much: composer's seemed to have more confidence in their own abilities to take a melodic line or a passage of atmospheric music and just run with it. Concentrate on the cohesiveness of the music for a scene and see it through.

This score here has a lot of ideas that I would like to see filled out and developed, but it's all just thrown in a bag and tossed out and however it lands that's the structure of the track. THAT'S what I don't like about this.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: Last of the Mohicans (Jones/Edelman)

A favourite film, and a favourite score (more for Jones' efforts than Edelman's). This is the full score.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Conan The Barbarian 3D - Tyler Bates
    composer's seemed to have more confidence in their own abilities to take a melodic line or a passage of atmospheric music and just run with it. Concentrate on the cohesiveness of the music for a scene and see it through.

Ironically, Zimmer seems to do this the most confidently of the modern-style composers...say what you will about his other choices for Batman, but the way he ties together the last 5 minutes of The Dark Knight with the slowly building, rolling waves of emotion are a huge part of what make that film so moving in its conclusion.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Conan The Barbarian 3D - Tyler Bates

I am finding that this is certainly not unlistenable but the thing most annoys me so far (and I am only as far as "Egg Race" so far) is that Bates doesn't spend too long on any idea he has. He just jumps about clipping together a motif here, a bit of a theme there, then slips in a bit of atmosphere and finishes off with a bit of generic ethnic orchestration. The onscreen demands may mean that he feels he needs to highlight every single nuance of the action (or whatever is on screen) but it's too much: composer's seemed to have more confidence in their own abilities to take a melodic line or a passage of atmospheric music and just run with it. Concentrate on the cohesiveness of the music for a scene and see it through.

This score here has a lot of ideas that I would like to see filled out and developed, but it's all just thrown in a bag and tossed out and however it lands that's the structure of the track. THAT'S what I don't like about this.

Even though I haven't heard this yet, I have a feeling you're being far too kind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Jim Ware wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Humm... I thought I had the trademark on that line!

-Erik-

He, he...."delicious darkness" has been a term of mine since the 90's, but it's a term that can mean many things, so we may put different things into it.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Battle Beyond The Stars - James Horner

This pre-Kahn study (or extended Kahn opus; not sure which one was first and I can't be bothered to look it up) is THOROUGHLY enjoyable and a wonderfully symphonic and melodic listen, the likes of which -as only becomes clear when such an old gem is released- we have been missing for FAR too long in this day and age.

Horner at his derivative best weaves a lush tapestry of unabashed Romanticism, with some fine thematic and beautifully orchestrated work.

BSX's new release is topped off by a not bad disco-ish source cue and a shitload of electronic sound effects by Alan Howarth and the Raine/Prague Symphony rendition of the Battle Beyond The Stars main theme.
    Interestingly I prefer the original recording, rough and sometimes slightly off as it is: there's a little harsh edge to it that really fits the music!
    Nevertheless THIS is what a good release should look and sound like: chockfull of great music and excellently fun goodies. Well done, BSX!!!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Map Of The Human Heart - Gabriel Yared
    That's the beauty of music. They can't take that away from you. (Andy Dufresne)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand....

wink

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished playing Titanic by James Horner. Yup, it's still a classic! Now I'm familiarizing myself with the Back To Titanic suite to hear what a real chorus would have sounded like! I have heard Debney's suite on the Varese/Horner compilation and didn't like the real chorus at all! Let's see how Horner's version works out...

EDIT - Wait a bloody second... I thought Horner used a real choir on the Back To Titanic suite?

2ND EDIT - Aaaaah... I see... he doubled the real choir with the fake Enya shit from the original recording.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished playing Titanic by James Horner. Yup, it's still a classic! Now I'm familiarizing myself with the Back To Titanic suite to hear what a real chorus would have sounded like! I have heard Debney's suite on the Varese/Horner compilation and didn't like the real chorus at all! Let's see how Horner's version works out...

EDIT - Wait a bloody second... I thought Horner used a real choir on the Back To Titanic suite?

2ND EDIT - Aaaaah... I see... he doubled the real choir with the fake Enya shit from the original recording.

-Erik-

I think the last three minutes is a real choir (16:40 - 19:05 shocked) ?

Man that would have been great to hear in the movie. Actually, even if I think Titanic is a superb work that made the movie even better, never understood why he didn't use a real choir.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I know that there is real choir but the doubling during the "'Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch" portion of the suite was bizarre. BTW, now having finished the suite I must say that on the whole it's quite dull. Even though the real chorus on Debney's version sounds strange I prefer his selections over Horner's... but "Rose" is performed PAINFULLY slow.

-Erik-
  5. That fake choir is one of the major reasons I've never been too fond of Titanic.

NP - The Other Boleyn Girl - Paul Cantelon

The last four tracks of this (especially the last two) are really, REALLY great. Who would expect such grandeur and beauty from a guilty verdict and an execution?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011
    christopher wrote
    That fake choir is one of the major reasons I've never been too fond of Titanic.

It never really bothered me. It's now a signature sound of that score and film so hearing the score without the Enya choir sounds... wrong.

NP: Tai-Pan - Maurice Jarre

My favorite Jarre score. Lyrical goodness!

-Erik-
  6. Harry Gregson-Williams - The Magic of Marciano

Pretty little score, something completely unexpected from the composer, known mostly for his better or worse (often worse) blockbuster scores.

First surprise, it's a small-scale work, not dissimilar to Horner's To Gillian on Her 37th Birthday in terms of arrangement, but without (that's the second surprise!) electronics, any electronics. So we have warm and emotional (particularly in the final cue) strings, woodwinds (flute, clarinet and an oboe), a harp, piano and a French horn (actually mixed quieter than in the Horner score, which makes it not that jarring to me, this score never gets "epic" in any way, fortunately). There is also a very nicely used (sampled maybe? Sometimes it does sound a bit like taken from Broken Arrow) children choir.

Largely restrained, it explodes emotionally in the final cue. And a good side is that the release is a tad over 20 minutes long, so it never overstays its welcome and makes a very good impression, especially due to its very beautiful theme. How subtle Gregson-Williams is in the score is how he handles the main theme harmonically. In general, the sad theme is written in minor key, but he always ends it with a major key, giving hope, something his master (it was written in 2000, Harry Gregson-Williams was still a part of Media Ventures by then, mind you) would never think of (and that said by the biggest Hans Zimmer fan on this board except maybe Nautilus!).

Long story short, I really like this score and it came to me as a surprise. I got the promo thanks to a HGW fanboy I know. I love what he does with the theme, I love how an emotional explosion is worked out from all the restraint. And I love that this score is coming from, of all composers, Harry Gregson-Williams. I can recommend it to fans of restrained scores, especially restrained Horner works.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    I know that there is real choir but the doubling during the "'Take Her to Sea, Mr. Murdoch" portion of the suite was bizarre. BTW, now having finished the suite I must say that on the whole it's quite dull. Even though the real chorus on Debney's version sounds strange I prefer his selections over Horner's... but "Rose" is performed PAINFULLY slow.

-Erik-

Yeah. I found it quite dull. Haven't been inspired to listen to it for years. Debney's suite with the real choir is pretty hideous, I think. Original (fake) choir sounds far better. Hard to explain, but there you go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Actually, it's not hard to explain at all (just to contradict myself). Horner's an actual composer with actual training. He wrote the music for synth choir, not for real choir. Therefore it works with synth choir but not with real choir. Not rocket science after all.
  7. Actually, I've heard that during recording sessions Shawn Murphy was completely shocked that there is no real choir in the recording, so Horner must have been at least toying with the idea of recording the choir for real.

Also, Debney also has "actual" training, maybe not a Ph. D. in composition as Horner, who seems to be the most educated composer in the industry at this point, but he has a BA in composition.

I know I'll sound very controversial here, but while Horner is a very good, in fact one of the greatest orchestral composers working right now, I think his education works to the detriment of his compositions for film. There were many cases in his career, really many cases, where I found his works to be much better albums than they are film scores in their respective contexts... Granted, a lot must be blamed on the film's directors (Ron Howard was never the subtlest narrator on Earth, but he's great, also for composers, when he somehow manages to be more subtle than usual... my favourite movies of his and my favourite scores for his movies happen to be - one by Horner, one by Zimmer - Apollo 13 and Frost/Nixon). In other words, I think he is more concerned with proper development of music as is, than actually working for the film.

Granted, if you look at early scores by Zimmer, those that actually work very good in their movies, too, he makes a lot of plainly musical mistakes (orchestrations in The Lion King anyone? Expanded/complete releases of such works as Crimson Tide (of which I have an expanded bootleg) and Broken Arrow show that he had issues with proper musical development, even when he was working primarily with electronics only...), but still it somehow manages to work.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011 edited
    I didn't mean to imply anything about Debney, by the way. He was presumably only doing what he was told (the life of the film composer - even when only conducting!)

I don't really agree about Horner, though that won't be a surprise to anyone. I rarely think what he does is detrimental to the film (he goes OTT with the emotional manipulation sometimes, but that's just the type of film he usually scores). I love the fact that he writes these long pieces, records without click track, etc - it goes against the grain for a film composer but I think it gives real air to his music, and usually makes the score in the film sound like it's breathing along with it rather than being a slave to it. Also - he's one of the few where the whole score generally sounds like it was conceived as an entity rather than being made up of a series of smaller entities. Perhaps all this just lends weight to your argument, I don't know; but it's why I think he's the best there is (octogenarians and near-octogenarians excepted).