• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011 edited
    NP: THE TIME TUNNEL (John Williams)

His Irwin Allen TV scores are really something to prepare for -- lots of melodramatic sturm-und-drang and definitely not everyone's cup of tea. But this is slightly more accesible than LOST IN SPACE. I actually remember seeing the Titanic episode when I was a kid....not from its premiere, obviously, but in reruns on Sky Channell and Super Channell in the mid 80's. Little did I know then that a few years later, the composer of that music would be an "obsession" of mine...
    I am extremely serious.
  1. James Horner - Avatar

Great score, one of my most listened albums in recent weeks.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011
    PawelStroinski wrote
    James Horner - Avatar

Great score, one of my most listened albums in recent weeks.

Horner's best since MASK OF ZORRO, IMO, at least of those I've heard.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I am a huge fan of some of his later albums, including the underrated Enemy at the Gates.

Jerry Goldsmith - Under Fire

Probably my favorite Goldsmith album, some of the very best music he's written in his career. Perfect themes, great guitar playing by Metheny, vintage Goldsmith action with a guitar twist in Bajo Fuego, what else can you want? And all exceptionally melodic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I am a huge fan of some of his later albums, including the underrated Enemy at the Gates.

Jerry Goldsmith - Under Fire

Probably my favorite Goldsmith album, some of the very best music he's written in his career. Perfect themes, great guitar playing by Metheny, vintage Goldsmith action with a guitar twist in Bajo Fuego, what else can you want? And all exceptionally melodic.

"what else can you want?"

The ORIGINAL tracks please! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. How much of this score is a re-recording? I know only of Bajo Fuego.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    From what I remember, quite a lot, some of it very different to the album tracks.

I'd recommend seeing the film Pawel, it's a very good film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : 'BOOM!' - John Barry

Love this score, very dark with interesting orchestral textures/colours from a time when John Barry did all his own orchestrating.
  4. Timmer wrote
    From what I remember, quite a lot, some of it very different to the album tracks.

I'd recommend seeing the film Pawel, it's a very good film.

I've seen it, one of the best movies about war crimes I've seen in my life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    UNDER FIRE seconded. Great score and album, one of my JG favourites. Have zero interest in the original tracks, but I'd like to check out the film again some day. I remember it being fairly good.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TOM SAWYER (Robert & Richard Sherman/John Williams)

Very busy, bumbling and rambunctious orchestral arrangements (and score bits) by Williams, while the songs are quite uneven in quality. More rural Americana...
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : FOLLOW ME! ( aka THE PUBLIC EYE ) - John Barry

Light hearted pop score for 1972 film starring Mia Farrow and Topol, kind of like Barry's score for The Knack but without the jazz swing of that score, as per usual with Barry, it's a very melodic score and quite a delightful way to pass 30 minutes when I'm in the mood for this kind of Barry sound.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE SWIMMER - Marvin Hamlisch

A real gem this one, warm, luxurious orchestrations and beautiful melodies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Just finished with Intrada's Explorers. Yeah.... ummm... I'll stick with the original release or at least the original playlist using Intrada's remastered tracks. I'm just so used to hearing "The Construction" right off the bat that hearing the same cue a good 25 minutes into Intrada's album seems... wrong. There's lots of fuller as well which didn't do much for me, however, the cameo of Goldsmith's Alien in "Looks Real" is simply wonderful!

Moving onto... and I have no idea why I have a craving to hear this... but I'm currently spinning Giacchino's Mission: Impossible 3. While I don't think it's on the same level as Elfman's score for the first film I do think it's a fine action score and I do like the fact that Giacchino tried to incorporate a tune, melody or motif in his action material a la Williams of the 70's and 80's. There always a hook in the action music highlighted by the dazzling "Hunting For Jules" which is one of the finest cues of Giacchino's career!

I've snipped out a few tracks for my listening pleasure! And no I'm not qualified to do that. wink I've trimmed this down to 14 tracks = 47 minutes.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Crimson Tide - Complete Score - Hans Zimmer

Love it. Pitch perfect scoring. Very melodic in its use of motifs and deconstructed thematic materials.
  5. lp wrote

Love it. Pitch perfect scoring. Very melodic in its use of motifs and deconstructed thematic materials.

Does this have nice and short tracks or are they loooong big suites?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    lp wrote
    NP: Drive - Cliff Martinez and others

Not bad. The electronic scoring of this kind makes me feel nostalgic for the 80s, being a child and growing up in that era. I haven't seen the movie yet, but, knowing the work of the director and his vision, it should work like gangbuster. The songs works well with Cliff's score though I feel that integrating it into the score would have been a much better move. Favorite song is "A Real Hero".

I got this recently, and absolutely adore it! It's EXACTLY this kind of ambient textures with the occasional groove that I'm looking for these days. The indiepop/electronica songs in the beginning are so-so, though. Not really my cuppa tea, but not bad.

This is what i wrote in twitter:

CLIFF MARTINEZ's "DRIVE" proves to be a very soothing and calming, late summer night listen. His "CONTAGION" is far rawer and darker though.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

Original film cues. Hans did write some long tracks though, typical for his 90s scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: K2 - Hans Zimmer

I would love to hear this score in the movie. The Chaz Jankel version was completely underwhelming to me. Hans' work is powerful and emotional and epic and intimate. There are so much variety in orchestration, coming from grand brass statements, to the gorgeous cello/viola-strong string passages. The electric guitar works wonder, accentuating the orchestration, rather than overwhelms it. Love this score. One of Hans' absolute best score in his career.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    NP: K2 - Hans Zimmer

I would love to hear this score in the movie. The Chaz Jankel version was completely underwhelming to me. Hans' work is powerful and emotional and epic and intimate. There are so much variety in orchestration, coming from grand brass statements, to the gorgeous cello/viola-strong string passages. The electric guitar works wonder, accentuating the orchestration, rather than overwhelms it. Love this score. One of Hans' absolute best score in his career.

I've seen the film once and caught little bits of it since ( it's a middling film, nether good nor bad ) but I've never heard the Chaz Jankel score, each print I've heard contains Zimmer's score.
  6. lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

Original film cues. Hans did write some long tracks though, typical for his 90s scores.

I have always assumed that the long tracks on the CD were put together for the album. I find them quite frustrating and have edited out the more enjoyable passages.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE VALLEY OF GWANGI - Jerome Moross

This is the Silva suite ( considering there isn't any other version around ) and very good it is too, shame the title theme is absent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: The Peacemaker - Hans Zimmer

Looks like it's Zimmer day, today. Excellent, excellent action score. It's an upgraded, well thought action thriller version of Crimson Tide/The Rock. Meaty, brassy action cues with dense orchestrations from the side of Hans that you don't hear often. Strong thematic core, with good motivic arrangements. Just excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    lp wrote

I have always assumed that the long tracks on the CD were put together for the album. I find them quite frustrating and have edited out the more enjoyable passages.

Well, yes and no. "Mutiny" has two part, the first part (the march theme) is a shortened version of the one in the movie, and the 2nd part is taken verbatim from a death scene. "Alabama" is a conglomeration of various cues. And a HUGE section of "1SQ" is the actual score (but shortened!) from the 3rd act.
  7. Is what you are listening a mix of the album tracks plus additional, extra tracks?
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Just finished with Intrada's Explorers. Yeah.... ummm... I'll stick with the original release or at least the original playlist using Intrada's remastered tracks. I'm just so used to hearing "The Construction" right off the bat that hearing the same cue a good 25 minutes into Intrada's album seems... wrong. There's lots of fuller as well which didn't do much for me, however, the cameo of Goldsmith's Alien in "Looks Real" is simply wonderful!

-Erik-

Good to know I can skip it then. The original album will continue to do nicely, which also includes the cool 80s songs.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  9. DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Good to know I can skip it then. The original album will continue to do nicely, which also includes the cool 80s songs.

and I'm sure you'll be more interested in the Forever Young score that's getting an expanded release wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ I can't wait to hear that one!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Is what you are listening a mix of the album tracks plus additional, extra tracks?

I was listening to an 89 minutes version, sourced from (I think) the original session. I think that some of the tracks in here have been edited from the official release, but the unreleased stuff sounds incredibly good, if not on par with the official release.
  10. Erik Woods wrote

I've snipped out a few tracks for my listening pleasure! And no I'm not qualified to do that. wink I've trimmed this down to 14 tracks = 47 minutes.

-Erik-

But but if you were a baker, and delivery man brought no bread --- wait, how do these silly analogies go again?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am