• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011
    KevinSmith wrote
    Two Brothers - Stephen Warbeck

Easily one of his best scores, much more diverse and appealing than his more critically acclaimed scores (like Shakespeare in Love).

Love Stephen's work, the way i see it he's another underused great composer like the late John Barry.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  1. He's scored like a dozen or more films the passed year or so.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well, where are they? Released scores?
  2. Obscure stuff, next to no releases, and he was replaced on two ("Games of Thrones" and "My Week With Marilyn").

Somebody has to score the obscure stuff.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah, i am talking big romantic scores like his most notable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : THE BOURNE IDENTITY - John Powell

cool

Awesome score buddy, moreso the sequel, Supremacy punk

Agree, the other two are superb but Supremacy reigns!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2011 edited
    NP: The Three Musketeers - Paul Haslinger

I'm going to say this really quietly and without much fanfare: I quite like this.

There's not a shred of originality in the 45 minutes (it's very much Pirates of The Caribbean without the boats, or the pirates), but it's a fun listen and I enjoyed listening to it. And it has a Take That song thrown in too - just to draw all the separate musical ideas together right at the end! rolleyes wink

I might just keep the completely different Zone of The Dead (aka 2012: Apocalypse of The Dead in the US) (Stefano Caprioli) - with its Serbian zombies - until tomorrow.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. BATMAN - "Finale" - Danny Elfman

My favorite thing he's ever done. I LOVE this track!

I also recently listend to HEAVEN AND EARTH by Kitaro again. That first track is incredible. There are something like four or five gorgeous themes in that one track. Stunning stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

Those three combined are probably the the most influential score of the 2000's too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DRIVE (Cliff Martinez)

Awesome score! It's like a lighter version of CONTAGION, more funky and less industrial.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: DRIVE (Cliff Martinez)

Awesome score! It's like a lighter version of CONTAGION, more funky and less industrial.

Exactly, wait 'till you see the movie. It's somewhat (the movie, that is) over-dramatic and over-stylized with pretentious slow-mo scenes that lead nowhere, but the music fits whatever the director had in mind, perfectly.

Also make sure you're going to check MANCHINE GUN PREACHER by Asche and Spencer out too, you - of all else, will love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Three Musketeers - Paul Haslinger

I'm going to say this really quietly and without much fanfare: I quite like this.

very much Pirates of The Caribbean without the boats, or the pirates
    a Take That song thrown in too

Ehm. uhm
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Damn! I should have mentioned it over at Reel Music where it could have remained hidden. wink
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Damn Alan my friend, damn! wink kiss
  5. Christodoulides wrote

It is great how opinions can vary. I couldn't even get through the clips for Drive, Contagion or Machine Gun Preacher.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

It is great how opinions can vary. I couldn't even get through the clips for Drive, Contagion or Machine Gun Preacher.

Well, it'd be boring if we all agreed smile

Don't tell me you liked Tyler Bates' CONAN too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Btw i gather the above aren't your style, but make sure you check out THE ITALIAN KEY, you'll love it.
  6. Christodoulides wrote
    Btw i gather the above aren't your style, but make sure you check out THE ITALIAN KEY, you'll love it.

Yes, Conan was more enjoyable than the awful piece of noise many said it was. And I will check out Kantelinen's score when it becomes more readily available to people. His work is something I always keep a look out for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Yes, Conan was more enjoyable than the awful piece of noise many said it was. And I will check out Kantelinen's score when it becomes more readily available to people. His work is something I always keep a look out for.

Granted, it had some good parts, but it's all 300 redux and those awful synths he uses...argh! Damn my friend aren't people supposed to get wiser as they get older? wink kiss beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Alan just gets drunker. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Ha! Ha!

I have always been of the opinion that similarities between scores, particularly if I like them, is a positive. Okay, it means a lack of originality in any new score, but it also means that there is more music in a style I like.

It is the music and how it makes me feel rather than whether something is original. That sounds bad, and it doesn't really explain what I mean fully, but something that mimics another score isn't automatically bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ola!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Ha! Ha!

Guess you need a :sarcasm: emoticon? wink

It is the music and how it makes me feel rather than whether something is original. That sounds bad, and it doesn't really explain what I mean fully, but something that mimics another score isn't automatically bad.

At the end of the day, the emotion that is inherent in music is what works its magic.
    The technical merits of any work are of course interesting, but fall far short of any emotional impact as far as I'm concerned.
  8. Bregt wrote
    Ola!

If Martijn had not have PM'd me, I would never have been the wiser!
  9. Martijn wrote
    At the end of the day, the emotion that is inherent in music is what works its magic.
    The technical merits of any work are of course interesting, but fall far short of any emotional impact as far as I'm concerned.

But, it sometimes seems that if it isn't original then it is no good. Yes, Bates' 300 (and Slither) sounds so like other scores that it could be from those other scores, but at the end of the day, the bits that sound like the other scores are good bits from those scores and are, therefore, equally good*.

*Good being defined as pieces of music that I enjoy listening to.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Timmer wrote

cool

Those three combined are probably the the most influential score of the 2000's too.

Very true! I wish that were not the case, like Zimmer's 'Journey To The Line', overuse just dilutes the power of the music.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Paycheck - John Powell

Excellent score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Ola!

If Martijn had not have PM'd me, I would never have been the wiser!

But that would have been cheating. smile

FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

But, it sometimes seems that if it isn't original then it is no good.

It only ever really annoys me if there is either no difference (i.e. a straight lift, not just thematically, but also as far as instrumentation and mood are concerned), OR when it's unoriginal and worse than the source.

For the rest I honestly don't mind Horner's self-references, or McNeely sounding like Williams or Elfman doing a Gabriel, as long as it hits home. So basically I agree with you! smile
  10. DreamTheater wrote
    SQUANTO: A WARRIOR'S TALE - JOEL MCNEELY

Not half bad! I had heard the clips and hearing the full cues is even better. It's traditional adventure film scoring, from McNeely in his prime. I wasn't immediately taken by it on my first listen, but I can see this grow on me quickly. The exciting action music takes front and center, and the lovely theme stays with you, so there's no reason to not check it out if you like your scores a bit more 80s and 90s than 00s.

It's quite interesting to hear 'The Last of the Mohicans' in the middle part of track 16. smile

And I could swear I heard a lift of 'Henry V' in track 10.

didn't spot the influences, need to check it out again. But it's surely filmmusic from a long lost era. So we really need to cherish it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    C'mon guys! You should be contributing to Alan's "sticky" thread now that it's into the 90's.