• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    My old trusted Nokia E71 (standby time roughly three decades, bandwidth usage 3,7 nanobytes per month) finally gave up, and even though I could still buy a replacement (for RIDICULOUS prices), support under Symbian is now becoming minimal for any kind of service.

So I bought I Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini last week.

I hate it.

I like all of the HTC phones I've had. But I've not had much experience with it for phone calls.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2014
    Martijn wrote
    My old trusted Nokia E71 (standby time roughly three decades, bandwidth usage 3,7 nanobytes per month) finally gave up, and even though I could still buy a replacement (for RIDICULOUS prices), support under Symbian is now becoming minimal for any kind of service.

So I bought I Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini last week.

I hate it.

Why not the regular s4? Anyway what's wrong with s4 mini...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Okay.

confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2014 edited
    Steven wrote
    Damn. I was thinking of getting one. sad

Keep in mind though what I'm comparing it to.
    I seriously shocked that me being online on 4G for a few minutes cost me 10 MB! 10!
    (To compare, without exaggeration, my monthly usage on Symbian was 40 MB tops).

Having installed a zillion firewalls, monitoring apps, sniffers and what have you shows that Android leaks ALL OVER the place! Dozens of apps and internal processes try and connect to the web continuously!
    Very disconcerting!

Plus you really, really, REALLY need to be an android fanboy OR a tech diehard to get it tweaked to your liking. Many options are NOT intuitive and require quite a bit of research! (I am a little embarassed to admit I missed my first two incoming calls because I didn't know I had to SWIPE the 'receive' button rather than just PUSH it....)

Upside:
    - accessories are in abundance and not expensive.
    - insane amount of apps in the store, and quite affordable too!
    - its' size is almost normal (even though the iPhone 4 outdoes it)
    - exceedingly tweakable, even unrooted!

Downside:
    - internal keyboard is awful. AWFUL! (Mind though that I absolutely DETEST onscreen keyboards. But sadly I don't have much of a choice this side of Blackberry). Purchased some 3rd party keyboards and am moderately satisfied now. (Ironically the lay-out that suits me best is an iPhone knock-off!)
    - as stated: LEAKAGE! A LOT of it!
    - To really take control (control startup items, block access) you need to root it...and I am nowhere near comfortable enough with it yet to even contemplate that!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Why not the regular s4?

Wayyyyyy too big for my taste!
    I don't understand this decades obsession with size.
    Clearly there must be some global sense of a need to compensate for something...

Anyway what's wrong with s4 mini...

See above. smile
    Not really particular to the S4 mini per se, I guess, but rather to android...although I have absolutely no basis for comparison!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I like all of the HTC phones I've had. But I've not had much experience with it for phone calls.

biggrin lol
    Made my day!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Not really, size = bigger screen, = hd material, games, movies, etc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

Some people just want a phone to be a phone with a few bonus extras (for me, it's the fact that it's a music player). So yes, really. Bigger does not always mean better. This is why I don't like the new iPhones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote

Yeah, I get it. It's the Tricorder Syndrome: one phone to do everything!
    Never been keen on that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Why not the regular s4?

Clearly there must be some global sense of a need to compensate for something...

No word of lie, I literally saw someone struggle to put (what I assume was an iPhone 6 Plus) in their breast pocket while I was in the queue in Subway. Now that made my day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote

Never been keen on that.

Why carry 2-3 devices when you can have one? bigger faster phones can really do everything and once you get used to that, there's no going back (tablets etc)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Why not the regular s4?

No word of lie, I literally saw someone struggle to put (what I assume was an iPhone 6 Plus) in their breast pocket while I was in the queue in Subway. Now that made my day.

Was the boob large enough to bend the iphone6?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Demetris wrote

Some people just want a phone to be a phone with a few bonus extras (for me, it's the fact that it's a music player). So yes, really. Bigger does not always mean better. This is why I don't like the new iPhones.

Indeed!
    For me I just need four functions:
    - Easy to handle primary phone functions (call and be called)
    - Data exchange (quick and easy internet access...oh, that's another thing I am very disappointed with on tyhis phone: whatever the browser, 90% of web sites will display just awfully! Just about readable when you shift to horizontal mode (which requires an inordinate amount of scrolling), quite unreadable in vertical mode. slant)
    - Quick and easy messaging (SMS text messaging and email synchronisation), easy integration into popular communication methods, like the execreable but sadly widely used WhatsApp.
    - GPS

That's it. Everything else is 'nice-to-have'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Demetris wrote
    Why carry 2-3 devices when you can have one? bigger faster phones can really do everything and once you get used to that, there's no going back (tablets etc)

Very simple example: when I travel, I listen to music. A LOT.
    That absolutely drains battery power. So I am very happy to keep my phone and iPod apart (aside from the storage issues we discussed before: everything under 180 GB is PTUIH for me!)

Battery power increases by increasing the battery (and phone) size...which as Steven beautifully outlnined, is NOT a pretty option. Unless you prefer to go through life carrying a man purse. Which I'm not.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Some of my best friends carry man purses.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote

Never been keen on that.

Not everyone wants or needs a phone to replace every form of multimedia device, so this is why a smaller screen is far better suited to some. Personally, I use a phone for texting, the very occasional phone call, music and MAYBE an Internet browser when I don't have my laptop or tablet at hand. But that's rather the point, I much prefer using a tablet whenever I can. I just have no need for a screen the size of Jupiter on my phone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Quick and easy messaging (SMS text messaging and email synchronisation), easy integration into popular communication methods, like the execreable but sadly widely used Whatsapp

biggrin

Agreed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Man purses rule. And moobs.
  2. In the summer I sometimes carry such a device ...

https://taschenwahn.files.wordpress.com … -leder.png

... for lack of pockets.

I know these things are often smiled upon. But you see, we live in enlightened times where women are entitled to do anything that men do. So I am in return entitled to carry a handbag or am I not? cheesy

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ha!

... wink

Seriously though, buy some cargo pants/trousers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
  3. Martijn wrote

Yes, they're called women.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    Demetris wrote

Never been keen on that.

Does Apple not do clothes with big pockets yet?

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/7 … -jeans.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Only one exception.
  5. Steven wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Only one exception.

Big girl's blouse!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Hey! angry Just because he's afraid of snakes, doesn't make him a pussy! (He was able to put up with Willy and Shortround. Now that's a man.)
  6. Martijn wrote
    I seriously shocked that me being online on 4G for a few minutes cost me 10 MB! 10!
    (To compare, without exaggeration, my monthly usage on Symbian was 40 MB tops).

Have you tried a different browser that has the option to compress data?

Opera's Mini Bowser has compression built in and Opera's usual browser has an "Off-road" mode where you can switch on the compression. My recent browsing history is listed as using 70MB of data (compressed) from a total of 440MB (uncompressed).
  7. Steven wrote
    Hey! angry Just because he's afraid of snakes...

No, that makes him an ophidiophobic apparently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

I'm certainly going to remember that one next time I watch it with people (but as I don't like people, I probably won't).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Opera's Mini Bowser has compression built in and Opera's usual browser has an "Off-road" mode where you can switch on the compression.

shocked
    Very, very nice!! Works like a charm!
    And it renders websites MUCH better as well!
    Thanks Alan! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Opera's Mini Bowser has compression built in and Opera's usual browser has an "Off-road" mode where you can switch on the compression.

shocked
    Very, very nice!! Works like a charm!
    And it renders websites MUCH better as well!
    Thanks Alan! beer

No problem. Glad it meets your needs!

I much prefer to use the main Opera browser with the "Off-road" option switched on - even when the phone is using the house's WiFi. One of the things I like about this browser is their Speed Dial.

I also have Chrome on my phone (as well as the phone's default browser) but I don't find that particularly user friendly.

Thinking about it, I don't really need to have 4 separate browsers on my phone!