• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    yeah

beer

Bregje wrote
    That's why we are glad you are here with us, to share enthusiasm for the Morricone scores we do not know. cheesy

Awwww, thanks Bregje! I'm always happy to rant about Morricone. smile

Timmer wrote
    I'd certainly like to think we'd see a lot less mentions of Zimmer and his ilk.

I'm sure there would be. That said, I'd still be one of the few though who'd like them. Zimmer and Powell would be among my fave composers, no matter how much music I were aware of.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Since John Powell found his own voice I tend not to think of him in the 'Zimmer and his ilk' way.

And there are certainly a few Zimmer scores I love and would not be without.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interestingly I think this is pretty much the case. Especially here.
    I can't seem to find it easily, but I think we had a discussion some years ago on the number of scores we own matched against the films we seen that contain these scores. Turned out that many (or most) here owned far more music from films they'd never seen than the other way around.

So I'd like to think that indeed most of the conversation is about the quality of the music (rather than its function in the film, or the popularity of the film).
    Still happens of course (and I'm glad: it IS film music's primary goal after all, AND I think visuals and music certainly can have a mutually reactive relation, with one potentially enhancing or demeaning the other).

So, it's all good. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Most scores I have from films I haven't seen are by composers who have scored films I have seen.

Is that right? Yeah, I think that's right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Good point. I guess for most of us, we were drawn into film music by hearing a certain composer in a certain film, and then looking for more work from the composer, rather than searching out more films that composer may have scored.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Most scores I have from films I haven't seen are by composers who have scored films I have seen.

Is that right? Yeah, I think that's right.

I approve of this post.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011 edited
    I was never drawn into soundtracks by films in any form or fashion. It was a gradual interest spawned by my interest in other forms of instrumental music. I had a suspicion that soundtracks could provide a similar 'concept album' feel, and indeed they did. Although, ironically, my first ever soundtrack -- a cassette copy of TWIN PEAKS in ca. 1991 -- was indeed related to the series, an effort to re-experience the MOOD of the show.

Parallell, but not related, to this was an interest in film as an artform and all the tools that go into it (cinematography, directing, acting, editing AND music).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I have just checked (I love my database! It makes these statistics so easy! biggrin )

Of the scores I own, I have only actually seen 24% of the films they were scored for! shocked

33% of the scores I own are by composers I have never seen any film by that they worked on!
    And that's increasing every year, so if anything I am moving away from the whole visual aspect more and more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I was definitely drawn into soundtracks by films. I love film music because it's exactly that; film music. Music designed for images to propel a story along. Which is why I like proper themes and a clear narrative in the music. (But I also like scores as just 'music' as well, i.e. compilations or Brian Tyler scores.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I don't have a database but a brief scan of my shelves suggest that I've seen around 90+% of the films scored by John's Barry & Williams.

Ennio Morricone on the other hand is a miniscule %, I'd loved to know Peter's percentage?
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Martijn wrote
    Interestingly I think this is pretty much the case. Especially here.
    I can't seem to find it easily, but I think we had a discussion some years ago on the number of scores we own matched against the films we seen that contain these scores. Turned out that many (or most) here owned far more music from films they'd never seen than the other way around.

So I'd like to think that indeed most of the conversation is about the quality of the music (rather than its function in the film, or the popularity of the film).
    Still happens of course (and I'm glad: it IS film music's primary goal after all, AND I think visuals and music certainly can have a mutually reactive relation, with one potentially enhancing or demeaning the other).

So, it's all good. smile

I think you're underestimating the promotional effects of movies. While I might never watch a particular Hollywood movie (for instance the latest X-men movie or Robin hood movie), I'm consistantly bombarded with opinions and rants about the scores, and I want to listen to them desperately. Then there's a 1968 russian score like Krasnaya palatka by Aleksandr Zatsepin. Practically no one has heard of it, and no one sees a reason to buy it. Is this because it's less known, or because the music isn't as good? Of course it's the former, because even if it was good, no one would ever realize this. The only reason I know about it because I like Morricone (as this was the russian score to the italian/russian movie La tenda rossa which in Italy was scored by Morricone), and this relates to Steven's point. I would never have discovered Morricone in the first place if he hadn't scored movies of some fame that made me aware of him.

I bet if quality was all that mattered, we'd be talking about czechoslovakian movies from the 1920s and chinese movies from the 1950s, just as much as we're currently talking about post-2010 Holllywood blockbusters.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    There's only a small percent of us who talk about scores from before the 80's so I can never see that happening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    But then the whole definition of quality is highly subjective.
    And availability is another matter as well.

The problem is you don't know what you don't know: I don't have the time (or the inclination) to go scouring Bulgarian web sites for film scores I never heard of!

I will act on recommendation though: I got a LOT of Polish and Russian material simply through enthusiasts like yourself (Remember Debski? smile ) here on the board. Never seen the films. Never heard of the composers (before).

That's why increasingly my collection is moving away from "being married to" visuals, and I should definitely say it's a trend continuing on the board, with Alan and Tom being holding up the vanguard with their blogs!

But as it IS FILM music, and, for better or for worse, Hollywood is still predominant in the industry, it's unlikely we will move away from the big blockbusters entirely any time soon. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Timmer wrote
    I don't have a database but a brief scan of my shelves suggest that I've seen around 90+% of the films scored by John's Barry & Williams.

Ennio Morricone on the other hand is a miniscule %, I'd loved to know Peter's percentage?

Holy crap, I just counted, and I've only seen a bit over 7% of the movies that Ennio scored. shocked

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    I sometimes wonder what boards like these would be like if popularity of scores and composers were completely unrelated to popularity of movies, and the quality of scores were the single dominant factor in determining their popularity. I wonder what composers we'd all be ranting about. No doubt guys like Williams would still be popular, since he's a bloody genius, but I think tons of composers currently considered obscure would be considered among the giants, and threads like these would be filled with titles in all kinds of strange languages, instead of being dominated by scores to English speaking movies.

Peter smile

Examples ?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Examples ?

I'm mostly a morriconian so some examples could be: I promessi sposi, La califfa, 122 Rue de Provence, La venexiana, Nostromo, Sepolta viva, Il cuore nel pozzo, Questa specie d'amore, Il clan dei siciliani, Il prato, La dame aux Camélias, Cosi' come sei, La tenda rossa, Le casse, I guardiani del cielo, L'eredità ferramonti, L'avventuriero, E per tetto un cielo di stelle. (Similar lists could no doubt be provided by tons of other composers, like Delerue, Kilar, Fabricius-Bjerre, Sahashi, Watanabe and even more obscure names)

I think any of these deserve more attention than for instance scores like the latest Robin hood or Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole got. Not that these two are bad scores, but in the grand scheme of things, they are just two average scores, getting tons of publicity because they happened to be attached to movies that got alot of publicity.

That said, I'm not claiming to be more knowledgable than the rest of you guys. I'm the victim of the same lack of information. We all need to be informed before we will spend money and energy on acquiring these items. We never get the information from the vast number of movies that have been made though, and we usually end up with a tiny spectrum of all the scores that have ever been made, and our collections end up reflecting a bias towards movies that got heavily promoted and of course released.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I do not think Morricone is obscure !
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    I do not think Morricone is obscure !

Depends on the score. There are ultra-obscure Morricone and ultra-famous Morricone scores.

In any case, it doesn't address my basic point, that there's tons of great music out there most of us have never heard of and will never hear of, so if popularity of movies truly didn't matter, our listening habits would be radically different.

Peter smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    He's not but the point Peter's making is that the majority of the films he's scored are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Surely major films offer more exposure to their composers. It is utterly natural and expected. It's up to everyone of us to look out for lesser known composers. It is not the movies, but rather the names of the composers themselves the problem, in my opinion. Most people will wet their pants for a new Powell score for instance but will never investhalf the time to listen once to a score by Arnau batallier for instance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Morricone? That overrated composer? :disgust:

(Don't get yer knickers in a twist. Inside joke between Peter and myself from the very earliest days of ol' Scorereviews wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    biggrin punkbiggrin punkbiggrin

I remember that discussion as if it happened yesterday.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    Surely major films offer more exposure to their composers. It is utterly natural and expected.

Indeed, and that's the reason for my thought experiment. If we only listened for quality, with no influence from publicity, our listening habits would be radically different.

Christodoulides wrote
    Most people will wet their pants for a new Powell score

Guilty as charged. shame

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Surely major films offer more exposure to their composers. It is utterly natural and expected.

Indeed, and that's the reason for my thought experiment. If we only listened for quality, our listening habits would be radically different.

Christodoulides wrote
    Most people will wet their pants for a new Powell score

Guilty as charged. shame

Peter smile

Who says most people listen film music according to the movies popularity ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, it KINDA stands to reason, D. What with it being FILM music and that...

Let's not forget WE are the odd ones out for listening to it OUTSIDE of its context!
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote

So if you've never heard of a score, you'll buy it anyway? Are you seriously suggesting that publicity has no say in the matter of what you buy? Are you omniscient?

Peter dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    Well, it KINDA stands to reason, D. What with it being FILM music and that...

Let's not forget WE are the odd ones out for listening to it OUTSIDE of its context!

As i said, i think film music fans listen to music according to the composers. Or composer - director's relationships.
    Not the movie so much.

The rest of the people, I.e. non film music fans, do not really care for film music in the first place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    plindboe wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So if you've never heard of a score, you'll buy it anyway? Are you seriously suggesting that publicity has no say in the matter of what you buy? Are you omniscient?

Peter dizzy

Who said this? Read my post above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    Christodoulides wrote
    As i said, i think film music fans listen to music according to the composers. Or composer - director's relationships.
    Not the movie so much.

How did they become aware of the composer in the first place? Remote viewing?

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sad

....beer ?

hug !

cheesy