• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2011
    The Tsar of the Sultan opera
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interestingly that exact popular misprint (it's actually "The Tale Of Tsar Saltan") is the reason that flight of the bumblebee is often mistaken as part of Sheherazade (which of course it isn't). I guess it's to do with the "Sultan" bit getting confused with the Middle East.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Martijn wrote
    Interestingly that exact popular misprint (it's actually "The Tale Of Tsar Saltan") is the reason that flight of the bumblebee is often mistaken as part of Sheherazade (which of course it isn't). I guess it's to do with the "Sultan" bit getting confused with the Middle East.

I suspect you're correct.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2011/12/13/mystery-clip/

I want to know the name of the lullaby. I'm sure this melody isn't original but I can't place it.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Rings no bells with me , Tom, but it's certainly generic and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it turns out to be grounded in a nineteenth century German folk song or something.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'm sorry you don't know but I'm glad we're in agreement. I asked Bruce but he hasn't responded. Certainly not Hefti.
    Tom
  1. Hefti was an song arranger, this could easily come from him.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Afraid I can't help either Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    Hefti was an song arranger, this could easily come from him.

You said it correctly Justin. He was a song arranger. In this case I don't think he composed the melody but like Tchaikovsky who constantly found material from a wealth of folk music, adapted this to suit his needs.
    Tom
  2. I'm saying it may sound familiar, but it's fairly simplistic for it's nature and sound. It just might be coincidental any sound.

Surely Kritzerland would have credited the source. Even if public domain. But you can always try asking Bruce, just in case.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  3. Mystery Score Clip 11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nryn8edv0y0

The composer might be a little too obvious, but we'll see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    justin boggan wrote
    I'm saying it may sound familiar, but it's fairly simplistic for it's nature and sound. It just might be coincidental any sound.

Surely Kritzerland would have credited the source. Even if public domain. But you can always try asking Bruce, just in case.

I'm not saying anything other than it was a common tune in public domain that was reused. On the same CD Quincy Jones used the Sailor's Waltz of Johann Strauss. I was just interested in where the tune came from. I think Martijn was on the right track.
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Mystery Score Clip 11

Hardly obvious. Some old tv thing by Goldsmith, perhaps?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    justin boggan wrote
    Mystery Score Clip 11

Leonard Rosenman

Don't know what it is though.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Tim is right on the composer.
    Tom
  4. Absolutely. only thing missing is the infamous four or five note crescendoing motif.
    Picture is in color.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    more clues
  5. Score is unreleased. Pre Trek work. Not much else I can give without just giving it away.
  6. Okay, I want to get this one out of the way for a couple quick Christmas themed ones, so one more clue:

It's a TV movie.

And, with that I present Christmas Mystery Clip #1:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbziYpp43fA

Finally, we all get the answer to what "'tis the Season to Be Jolly" would sound like when performed an a dramatic evil way. This one should get guessed pretty damn quickly. Tehre's a tiny bit of stuff right before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011
    justin boggan wrote
    Score is unreleased. Pre Trek work. Not much else I can give without just giving it away.

This is the music Leonard Rosenman wrote for the 1968 TV Movie "Shadow Over Elveron", one of the earliest ones during the late 1960s and also one of Rosenman's earliest (could be his 2nd or 3rd) TV Movie score out of dozens Rosenman wound up doing throughout the 1970s and early 1980s.

I've never seen it before except for the opening minutes posted on YouTube...Leslie Nielsen plays a psychotic sheriff dizzy
  7. Ding, ding, ding! I only hope the rest of the score is as good as that!

I was checking for every film from his film, up until that one, on YouTube that is unreleased -- just to hear his body of work.

"The Bramble Bush" has this excellent sounding jazzy piece for the opening credits, which you can see a partial of here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh_lnuxWJQg

And I think it was "Bombers B-52" that had some good orchestra work similiar to his Trek score, in fact, at one point (I didn't sample from the whole film) it has the exact same three not motif and them descending notes after.

I stopped at the TV movie in question. IMDB doesn't have his full credits, but it's pretty close.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb for the win! beer I'm guessing your name is a reference to Rosenman too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    justin boggan wrote
    I was checking for every film from his film, up until that one, on YouTube that is unreleased -- just to hear his body of work.

"The Bramble Bush" has this excellent sounding jazzy piece for the opening credits, which you can see a partial of here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fh_lnuxWJQg

And I think it was "Bombers B-52" that had some good orchestra work similiar to his Trek score, in fact, at one point (I didn't sample from the whole film) it has the exact same three not motif and them descending notes after.

I stopped at the TV movie in question. IMDB doesn't have his full credits, but it's pretty close.

There's lots of unreleased Rosenman, especially his pre-Italy (1955-1962) scores @ Warner Bros.
    In addition to the 2 famous James Dean movies, there's "Bombers B-52" (available on regular commercial DVD from a Natalie Wood boxset), "Lafayette Escadrille", "The Rise And Fall Of Legs Diamond", "The Crowded Sky", "The Plunderers", "Convicts 4", "The Chapman Report" (the original mono sound recordings exist at Warners, but all albums [LP and CD] are from the re-recordings done in Italy), "A Covenant With Death", "Countdown", plus some more I'm sure - enough for a "Leonard Rosenman at Warners" box-set! biggrin

If you like jazzy Rosenman, I heartily recommend getting the M-O-D DVD-Rs of "The Rise And Fall Of Legs Diamond" (can't get that main theme out of my head and I've only watched this once so far) and "Convicts 4".

Plus, if you like Rosenman's music for the 'aircraft disaster' "Bombers B-52", then you should also like "The Crowded Sky", too (and both star Efram Zimbalist!).
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Timmer wrote

Thanks, Timmer

Yep ... "The Cobweb" was my inspiration for my user name, although the moniker also symbolizes my area of interest - old stuff from before the 1980s - you know, with dust and cobwebs all over them due to fanboys' attention all focused on the summer of '82 blockbusters (like ... ahem ... Andy Dursin).
  8. You win a cookie, Cobweb.

But I ate it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011 edited
    Cobweb wrote
    Timmer wrote

Thanks, Timmer

Yep ... "The Cobweb" was my inspiration for my user name, although the moniker also symbolizes my area of interest - old stuff from before the 1980s - you know, with dust and cobwebs all over them due to fanboys' attention all focused on the summer of '82 blockbusters (like ... ahem ... Andy Dursin).

I like the reasoning applause

I also noticed your avatar is a young Rosenman if I'm not mistaken?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb

Yes ... that's a small image of "Lenny" you see.

I've noticed there's a couple of threads here on Rosenman, but I didn't see anything on Richard Rodeny Bennett ... what gives?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2011 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    You win a cookie, Cobweb.

But I ate it.

Maybe you'll eat a pork chop, too, if you get to watch the main titles of "Pork Chop Hill" by Rosenman. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Cobweb wrote

Yes ... that's a small image of "Lenny" you see.

I've noticed there's a couple of threads here on Rosenman, but I didn't see anything on Richard Rodeny Bennett ... what gives?

Richard Rodney Bennett? Far too highbrow for this Zimmer/Giacchino/Powell dominated board. And yes, I'm surprised to see there is no composer thread for this very fine and barely heard ( by posters at this board ) composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I think I can take care of that.
    Tom