• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2011 edited
    Nice to hear that Tom! The moments we spend with our own are so precious! I had a very nice time with my family too and I'm now looking forward to a New Year's day with my love. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2011
    Did a film music quiz at Christmas, where people were supposed to guess the clips I played. A bit disheartening that some of my faves weren't guessed, but it ended up being rather fun. Here are the movies I played themes from:

01the third man
    02schindler's list
    03raiders of the lost ark
    04the pink panther
    05gone with the wind
    06the mission
    07a summer place
    08jaws
    09dr zhivago
    10once upon a time in america
    11the exorcist
    12jurassic park
    13sophie's choice
    14psycho
    15cinema paradiso
    16the bridges of madison county
    17the godfather
    18the good, the bad and the ugly
    19titanic
    20star wars
    21born free
    22breakfast at tiffany's
    23superman
    24once upon a time in the west
    25e.t.
    26casablanca

I'm sorry to say though that the people were complaining that tracks 3, 12, 20, 23 and 25 sounded "exactly the same". shocked I had to play them a few more times though and I think many of them ended up being guessed in the end. Funny how they got that impression though, since I think those JW themes are very different. Perhaps the Raiders march and Superman march have some similarities, but come on!

No one guessed Cinema Paradiso or The mission. cry And surprisingly no one got The exorcist one. Not sure anyone got ET. And even though everyone knew Moon river, no one knew what movie it was from. People scored between 6 and 11½. uhm

Peter smile
  1. Even I wouldn't have guessed Cinema Paradiso!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They thought they sounded the same!? 20 lashes for them all! slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Exorcist? What did you play? Tubular Bells??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    nothing on the list all that difficult. I can understand the comment about the themes sounding familiar. There are people who've commented to me that all Mozart material sounds the same.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    sdtom wrote
    had a really good time with my grandkids and my daughter and her partner.
    tom

Nice Tom! How old are your grandchildren?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    plindboe wrote
    I'm sorry to say though that the people were complaining that tracks 3, 12, 20, 23 and 25 sounded "exactly the same".

Well Peter, I had a discussion about that a while back too here at home...

My hubby has to live with me so that means he hears some film music every now and then. He even recognizes John Powell, which is really nice, except that he said 'too bad that guy can only do the same thing over and over again. And only for animation too...'

That comment hit me two ways, first animation doesn't mean you're some sort of B-artist. Secondly and most importantly: these are all very original and good scores! What he is hearing is the composer sound and style. I told him that but he still thought he did the same thing again. I said, what about different themes? Instruments?? The only way I could explain it a bit was this: when I hear a singer or band I don't care about and I play their whole album I hear the same song again each time too. Because the singer uses his voice the same way each time and the band uses the same instruments and it's all the same style of music too. To me that sounds all the same.

It was How To Train Your Dragon by the way and he knows a bit from Shrek and Chicken Run. Now who on this board would say that HTTYD is a copy of Chicken Run?

So Peter, we'll just have to accept that some people don't hear it. The more you like certain music, the more difference and nuance you can hear...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bregje wrote

My hubby has to live with me...

He doesn't!? shocked

wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It's completely similar to anyone suggesting 'all classical music sounds the same', and there are plenty of those around! Unless someone is actually interested I just shrug and let it go. More often than not I find such comments are just pretty overt preludes into a discussion of which the only intended point is not illumination but trying to convinceyou that 'really! It IS all the same!'
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
    Anyone have an particular plans this year around?

For me, it's all very traditional. Staying with the family in my hometown, grandmother(s) coming over tomorrow -- the rest of Christmas a combination of relaxing, family gatherings, at least one drinking binge with buddies who have also travelled home for the holidays and then back to a big New Year's party in Oslo.

I should really try to experience Christmas somewhere far away and warm some year. Maybe Australia. Just for a different vibe.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. No plans whatsoever.

A quiet Christmas and New Year here. Beer, wine and food all in place.

One thing I do need to do is find time for 17 hours of Star Trek music!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2012
    He, he...yeah, I can imagine STAR TREK TV music isn't exactly the kind of music that gets you in the spirit of the season!
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Normally that would be true. But it is my Christmas present!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012
    Tonight will be a quiet night at home, nothing special I think.
    Tomorrow morning Christmas brunch of course, I always like that. This reminds me, I have to do some more groceries... Hate that...

Tomorrow we will have dinner at my mom's. My sister won't be there so it's just us with my mom and her partner and perhaps his daughter.

And wednesday we will have dinner at my mother-in-laws's. We start in the afternoon with presents. Each bought three small gifts and then we will play a game with the gifts, you know, roll dice, get a gift, give a gift, move all your gifts to the left or right, etc. My brother- and sister-in-law will be there too and all the kids. This year we thought our kids were old enough to join the adults in the game so they bought gifts too.

Here at home there are gifts under the tree as well. Just some small gifts for the kids (they already got presents at St. Nicholas Eve!) and some gifts for Maykel. I know what I will get too and I hope it will arrive soon, somewhere next week I think.

Enjoy the holidays everyone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Thanks Bregje! I feel lucky that I don't need to stuff myself full of food two times a day on these festivities. It's all rather quiet and cosy, just like you I think. No week of holidays, except today and next Monday, but I've had my fair share of great holidays this year.

Have a great time everyone!
    Kazoo
  4. Happy Christmas everyone! wave

I'll spend the holidays with my parents, friends and neighbours. In Germany festivities start at Christmas' Eve, so tonight we will be giving out our presents.
    On Wednesday, my sister, my brother in law and my niece / godchild will come up from Bavaria to join us, so there will be a second handing out of presents.
    Everything will be calm and relaxed an high on calories. wink

I am not a man of faith, but peace and contentment be with you all the same!

Cheers!
    Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2012 edited
    christmas_reindeer christmas_tree MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY christmas_tree christmas_reindeer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Everyone have a happy festive time over the next few days. Presents are wrapped - not so much sneaking around and hiding of presents now that are older - and the food shopping has been done.

Now making a few 'in-roads' into the Christmas booze.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!! punk

Right back atcha
    , man!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!! punk

Right back atcha
    , man!

beer One of my all time favourite guitarist too! punk :axe:
    •  
      CommentAuthorCristian
    Merry Christmas everyone!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Have a wonderful Christmas fellow score lovers! beer
  6. Merry Christmas everyone, hope you all have a wonderful cozy time smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  7. Merry christmas everybody.
    I hope you all have plenty of fun, or otherwise (like myself) plenty of rest if the previous days/weeks/months have been hectic.
    Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
  8. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Merry christmas everybody.
    I hope you all have plenty of fun, or otherwise (like myself) plenty of rest if the previous days/weeks/months have been hectic.
    Elin

No fun at all? That sounds rather sad. I hope you are well!? wave
  9. Thor wrote
    I should really try to experience Christmas somewhere far away and warm some year. Maybe Australia. Just for a different vibe.

I grew up at the base of a mountain. We had lots of cold and snow every winter. Now I live in southern Nevada. It's obviously nothing like Australia this time of year, but it's weird to have a Christmas without snow or freezing temperatures. We fired up the grill the last couple of days. I haven't worn a coat more than once in the last month. I don't miss driving in the snow, but Christmas doesn't exactly feel right without it.

My kids don't know any better, though. They had a ball today. My oldest son (5 years old) repeatedly declared today to be the best day of his entire life. smile His odd Christmas wish list to Santa was "Dear Santa, please bring me a coal, and a little singing Christmas tree." I don't think he knows why Santa brings coal. I don't think he even knows what coal is. I think he just heard that Santa does bring that sometimes and thought, "Sure, I'll take one of those." As for his other request, since it was his only request, we had to find one. It's amazing how easy it is to find odd items on ebay. He really liked his tree.

Merry Christmas, all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2012
    christopher wrote

My kids don't know any better, though. They had a ball today. My oldest son (5 years old) repeatedly declared today to be the best day of his entire life. smile His odd Christmas wish list to Santa was "Dear Santa, please bring me a coal, and a little singing Christmas tree." I don't think he knows why Santa brings coal. I don't think he even knows what coal is. I think he just heard that Santa does bring that sometimes and thought, "Sure, I'll take one of those." As for his other request, since it was his only request, we had to find one. It's amazing how easy it is to find odd items on ebay. He really liked his tree.

Haha, that's cute applause
  10. Christmas in Germany starts with Christmas' Eve, when the pesents find their happy new owners.

So, Happy Chistmas, Chanukka, Yule, happy days to all non believers who celebrate anyway!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbKQ7nXx0o8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yg5g_Xl-uU

christmas_biggrin Volker