• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017 edited
    Thor wrote
    I hated THE LEGO MOVIE [...] but I absolutely adore Lord & Miller's TV series THE LAST MAN ON EARTH. So they've clearly got something.

Absolutely they do... with zany screwball comedy.

Which is why I'm totally with Lucasfilm, Kasdan and Kennedy here: Han Solo is NOT zany screwball material. Putting him in that position would completely reboot and redefine the character where nothing would be left but the name.

I am not particularly interested in any Star Wars spin-offs (I watched a few Clone Wars animation shorts, and I'm still to start on Rebels...if I ever do. I can't really muster the enthusiasm up until now), but I'm enough of a sentimentalist to still want Solo to keep true to his origins. Not become a "not your father's Solo".
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017 edited
    I can see your point. But THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, at least, is very rarely just 'screwball comedy'. It has a lot of heart and genuine drama as well. Which is why I was going into the new Han Solo film with some comfort. But I'm not too sad by their departure from the project either; Ron Howard is a longstanding favourite of mine (perhaps not as 'visionary as Lord & Miller, but always extremely capable).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2017
    Thor wrote
    I can see your point. But THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, at least, is very rarely just 'screwball comedy'. It has a lot of heart and genuine drama as well.

Really? uhm
    Well.
    Maybe in later series.
    I only watched season 1 so far, and that most definitely is pretty much 99% screwball comedy.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Thor wrote
    But I'm not too sad by their departure from the project either; Ron Howard is a longstanding favourite of mine (perhaps not as 'visionary as Lord & Miller, but always extremely capable).

Indeed, whoever thinks Ron Howard is a mediocre director, give Parenthood, Apollo 13, Backdraft and A Beautiful Mind a watch. These are all great films.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    [I'm] allergic to noisefests of this kind (unless it's someone like Michael Bay or Zack Snyder)

Presented without comment.
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    Thor wrote
    I can see your point. But THE LAST MAN ON EARTH, at least, is very rarely just 'screwball comedy'. It has a lot of heart and genuine drama as well.

Really? uhm
    Well.
    Maybe in later series.
    I only watched season 1 so far, and that most definitely is pretty much 99% screwball comedy.

Yes, it really kicks in in season 2 and 3.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. Aidabaida wrote
    [I'm] allergic to noisefests of this kind (unless it's someone like Michael Bay or Zack Snyder)

Presented without comment.

Dontcha go dissin' my main man Mikey Bay !!!! knight
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Also Aidabaida, to quote correctly (including the original poster's name), just use the first button on the right of that post (which turns into an edit button for your own posts).
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Oh thanks.
  4. DreamTheater wrote
    Thor wrote
    But I'm not too sad by their departure from the project either; Ron Howard is a longstanding favourite of mine (perhaps not as 'visionary as Lord & Miller, but always extremely capable).

Indeed, whoever thinks Ron Howard is a mediocre director, give Parenthood, Apollo 13, Backdraft and A Beautiful Mind a watch. These are all great films.

He has done great work, without question. I really think he's been wasting his time on these awful Dan Brown adaptations. They really seem beneath him, and he has failed to make something even a little decent out of them. I hope he does great things with this Star Wars movie, and I'm confident that he will. If Lord and Miller were really going to mess up Han Solo's character, then it's good that they're off the film, but I wonder how trustworthy that article was. the keys points seem to be unverifiable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017
    Knowing

The stuff leading up to the last 10 minutes was so good that I forgive the last 10 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017
    Aidabaida wrote
    Knowing

The stuff leading up to the last 10 minutes was so good that I forgive the last 10 minutes.

Now you're just jankin' our chain. One of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I'm a BIG Alex Proyas fan.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. I thought Knowing was pretty good. Not Dark City good but definitely entertaining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2017 edited

Thor wrote:

Now you're just jankin' our chain. One of the worst movies I've ever seen, and I'm a BIG Alex Proyas fan.

Thinking that I must be joking suggests that somehow Knowing is almost unanimously considered awful, like, I don't know, Michael Bay. Roger Ebert gave the movie 4 stars! Many people like it. I thought the possibility that the list might be inevitable gave it an incredibly suspenseful overtone. And the one-take plane crash scene was horrifying!
  6. Prepare to have your chain janked right back by Thor re: Michael Bay...
  7. I thought KNOWING was alright. Not good, but not bad. I actually liked the ending.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2017
    It's a spectacularly bad movie, like Shyamalan's THE HAPPENING.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    For comparison...
    A scene from THE HAPPENING: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rq-7zEVuwI
    A scene from KNOWING: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6gWFTv3xE8

Watch them both...one is clearly better than the other.
  8. Tonight's DOCTOR WHO was never going to live up ro last week's excellent episode. And it didn't. Moffat back to his usual incomprehensible storylines, and hard-to-believe plot developments.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tonight's Doctor Who delivered everything and more, wrapping up beautifully and quite, quite dramatically.
    What a season's finale.
    What an excellent season!

Oh, hey, Alan! Fancy meeting you here!
  9. crazy
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2017
    Martijn wrote
    Tonight's Doctor Who delivered everything and more, wrapping up beautifully and quite, quite dramatically.
    What a season's finale.

I agree, I enjoyed this finale and felt it was satisfying.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  10. Transformers: Age of Extinction

Another visual treat. And you wonder how Michael Bay could equal the finale of Transformers 3? Well he did and it's another masterful hour to watch. Too bad I totally didn't care for the characters. Oh how I missed Shia LaBeouf, Josh Duhamel, John Turturro and even Kevin Dunn in it. Dunn and Duhamel brought seriousness to the characters, while Turturro and LaBeouf brought over energized performances that I totally could appreciate. No, an uninteresting Mark Wahlberg and an over-shining Nicola Peltz (too bad her acting was even worse than in The Last Airbender) couldn't keep me interested at all. Then again, it isn't their fault they had to work with a storyline that was getting ridiculous and dialogue that was absolutely rubbish. Again, I would have loved it so much more if they just made all the previous characters return. But still bah never again.

5 out of 10
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2017
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    What a season's finale.

I agree, I enjoyed this finale and felt it was satisfying.

It was OK. No more, no less. I still can't stand Moffat's whimsical writing, but at least this had a more or less focussed plot. There were no emotions in it, though, even if they tried hard. Moffat is a far cry from Davies in that arena. But I did like the last few images, with [spoiler]David Bradley reprising his role as the first doctor[/spoiler].
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017 edited
    The Lego Batman Movie

As I said earlier, I adored "The Lego Movie", and watched it a few days before I watched this, Will Arnett's solo movie.

Wow, it was disappointing. Whereas "The Lego Movie" was often genuine in its emotions, "The Lego Batman Movie always felt cynical and sarcastic", and it just wasn't funny most of the time. The biggest problem is that while Batman was a great side character in "The Lego Movie", he's better as a supporting flavor than the main dish, if you get my drift. The score was fun, and the first 7 minutes were pretty good, (I loved, "MacGuffin Airlines"), but aside from that, it was pretty boring. The idea of bringing in a ton of villains from other movies promised great things, but they never delivered. Oh well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017
    I loved it, more than the first film. And didn't have the cringy family values message at the end. The best Batman film since The Dark Knight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Wonder Woman

Finally one of the 'Zach Snyder universe' DC films that doesn't suck. DC should just get rid of him; the worse aspects of this film was the Snyder-like stuff. Thankfully the rest of the film manages to transcend that style (for the most part). Chris Pine steals the film as Steve Trevor, and despite Gal Gadot's awful appearance in Batman V Superman, her naive, innocence here works pretty well. I didn't know much about the character until this film, aside from the silly costume and whip, but I can now see why she's so popular.

It wasn't perfect, and there was a lot of slow-motion, CGI-filled fight scenes, but the film had heart and characters we could empathise with. That's a lot for a DC film.

Gregson-Williams's score was functional, and is moderately enjoyable on album. But the film deserved a much better score. However, I may be in the minority here, but I rather like Junkie XL's theme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Steven wrote
    I loved it, more than the first film. And didn't have the cringy family values message at the end. The best Batman film since The Dark Knight.

I thought it was even more heavy-handed than the Lego Movie, hammering over and over again that BATMAN NEEDS TO WORK AS PART OF A TEAM OKAY? biggrin

and you liked it more than The Dark Knight Rises?

Steven wrote
    Wonder Woman

Despite Gal Gadot's awful appearance in Batman V Superman, her naive, innocence here works pretty well

Absolutely, she delivered an incredible performance, so positive and energetic!
  11. Aidabaida wrote

Steven wrote
    Wonder Woman

Despite Gal Gadot's awful appearance in Batman V Superman, her naive, innocence here works pretty well

Absolutely, she delivered an incredible performance, so positive and energetic!

I side with Aidabaida here. Me likes her performance a lot.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2017
    Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with him about Batman V Superman, I think she was much better in Wonder Woman.