• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2014
    Thor wrote
    I never said that. I said that "I think I've come to the realization that I love minimalism-influenced music, but not necessarily hardcore minimalism like this". LA LIGNE DROITE and SIGNS are minimalism-influenced, Glass is obviously hardcore minimalism. Your confusion probably stems from the fact that Erik cut out half my sentence.

Glass hasn't done any hardcore minimalism for years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Have you heard Visitors?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I think VISITORS is pretty hardcore, classic Glass minimalism.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. NP: Snow White & The Huntsman (2012) - James Newton Howard

Compared to Maleficent this is another cup of tea altogether. The more ambient parts not withstanding this is a solid 4 star score in my books.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Hans Zimmer - Broken Arrow

I like this quite a bit. And even (or maybe especially?) in its complete presentation.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Libertador Gustavo Dudamel

This is an extremely boring album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  3. The main title of the Conti score is good I think.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I don't like that style, really, like an 80s pop instrumental. There is so much good music on the album but it's just ruined for me by the electronics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Lady in the Water James Newton Howard

My favourite JNH. Better than Signs and Wyatt Earp put together.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Maps to the Stars - Howard Shore

Not without merit, but certainly not the sort of thing I would ever enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote

It is perhaps more minimalistic in tone than some of his more recent work, but is still very much in his post-1987 neo-Romantic idiom (it could be argued that his truly minimalist period ended with Another Look at Harmony in 1975).

Hardcore Glass minimalism is more along the 'line' (if you'll excuse the pun) of 600 Lines.
  4. Southall wrote
    I don't like that style, really, like an 80s pop instrumental. There is so much good music on the album but it's just ruined for me by the electronics.

80s electonic pop instrumentals are among the best things that ever happened on this planet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2014 edited
    If only we could tag people. #Demetris
  5. Demetris is Batman? Yes - I should have known all along.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    He's the darkest knight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Snow White and the Huntsman - JNH

Excruciatingly dull for the most part, punctuated by a few fine moments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote

Having just now followed this conversation down to its first post, I've come to realize it STARTED with the listening of Visitors. Right.
  6. NP: Return of the Magnificent Seven - Elmer Bernstein

A fantastic version of the music and themes from The Magnificent Seven. I had this album long before the original tracks from the first film were available and it's one of my favourites.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Snow White and the Huntsman - JNH

Excruciatingly dull for the most part, punctuated by a few fine moments.

Agreed. "Lacking" is the word for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    BobdH wrote
    Thor wrote

Having just now followed this conversation down to its first post, I've come to realize it STARTED with the listening of Visitors. Right.

biggrin

Welcome back Bob. Long time no see. smile
    All good?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow - Ed Shearmur

It's been 10 years since this beauty came out.
    What an outstanding score it is!
    If Shearmur was given the task of scoring future Star Wars projects I'd be thrilled (not that that will ever happen).
    It's just sad we hear so little from him now.
  7. NP: Doctor Who: The Collection Disc 4 (Murray Gold)

Well, Gold's music has grown on me somewhat. I most like the cues that emulate Morricone. Still I don't get the hype that sorrounds these scores. Maybe if I was famliar with the show?

Volker
  8. For me, Gold's scores have mirrored the shows themselves. The show was at its best during the tenure of David Tennant and them music could do little wrong.

But I haven't really enjoyed the music for the last 3 or so seasons. It is just far too frenetic and haphazard, with very little cohesion to my ears. And the same for my eyes and the show itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    For me, Gold's scores have mirrored the shows themselves. The show was at its best during the tenure of David Tennant and them music could do little wrong.

But I haven't really enjoyed the music for the last 3 or so seasons. It is just far too frenetic and haphazard, with very little cohesion to my ears. And the same for my eyes and the show itself.

The overall quality of the writing has indeed gone down since Tennant's run. However, Smith's run has produced some stunning isolated moments. The "I Am The Doctor" theme suite is one of the most exhilarating heroic/adventure pieces in my entire music collection. The "Amy & Rory" theme in Season 7 culminating in "Together or Not At All" is heartbreakingly gorgeous. Then there are the sweeping, operatic, epic songs... "Abigail's Song" from The Christmas Carol episode and "The Long Song" from Season 7 have become some of my favorite "songs with words" of all time. I listen to those 4 tracks just as frequently, if not more so, than anything from Tennant's run. But I'll admit, most of the rest of the music from the Smith seasons is as boring as heck.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  9. The "I Am The Doctor" theme is really the only new music I have taken away from the Matt Smith period.

And, I think that the new arrangement of the title theme is absolutely awful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Yesterday I started to listen to my top 20 scores of all time in no particular order. Just wanted to listen to some music that I know I would enjoy from start to finish. I began with Dances With Wolves yesterday and continued with the genius of James Newton Howard's Signs this morning. Maybe Superman or Fellowship of the Ring on the way back home tonight!

BLISS!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  10. It's always good to remember why you like all this stuff.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Lair - John Debney

This is so good.