• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014 edited
    When I said he wants to work and Edmund said he thought he was too picky, there is some truth in that - essentially he doesn't want to do action movies, he wants to do serious dramas, and at the moment many of the more prestigious ones go to Desplat or Newman, who are able to write very distinctive scores that maybe aren't quite so overtly emotionally charged as Horner would do.

Personally, I certainly wouldn't mind him doing an action film or two - another Marvel score from him would be very welcome by me. I wish he'd done Ender's Game, even.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Even when he uses electronics, it sounds like Silvestri with electronics - he's not very good at it, but it's still identifiably HIS style and nobody else's.

Silvestri does electronics brilliantly -- just listen to some of his 80s efforts. However, I agree that the contemporary version isn't exactly his forte.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    just listen to some of his 80s efforts.

no.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yes, do! It's some of my favourite music, period. Brilliant use of the Synclavier, the Roland T-808 and even the ubiquitous Yamaha DX7.

80's synth Silvestri RULES!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    What part of the word NO do you not understand Thunderer?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    But you must understand once and for all that you are wrong and I am right.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Thor wrote
    Yes, do! It's some of my favourite music, period. Brilliant use of the Synclavier, the Roland T-808 and even the ubiquitous Yamaha DX7.

80's synth Silvestri RULES!

punk punk punk cool kiss beer

Even the DX7? Especially that one! And the Fairlight CMI!

Long live New Wave!

dizzy Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    If you don't like the infectious hooks of a cue like this, there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with you. FACT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml3qNKF8j9Q
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    If you don't like the infectious hooks of a cue like this, there's something SERIOUSLY wrong with you. FACT!

Oh, Thor
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

Oooooh.... so close.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    But you must understand once and for all that you are wrong and I am right.

I respect your right to have an opinion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Remember that while a lot of people like us enjoyed his Spiderman score, a lot of reviews of the film were highly critical of it - old-fashioned, too noticeable, too bright, whatever.

Bullcrap of course, 'cause the score was great and as superhero movies should be scored, but the negative reaction further proves my point.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Terminal Velocity - Joel McNeely

I know it leans heavily on John Williams at times, but who cares? Excellent.
  3. Demetris wrote
    ^ Is he dealing exclusively with Avatar sequels right now?

Actually I think he's focusing on classical music for the next year or so.
  4. Southall wrote
    When I said he wants to work and Edmund said he thought he was too picky, there is some truth in that - essentially he doesn't want to do action movies, he wants to do serious dramas, and at the moment many of the more prestigious ones go to Desplat or Newman, who are able to write very distinctive scores that maybe aren't quite so overtly emotionally charged as Horner would do.

Personally, I certainly wouldn't mind him doing an action film or two - another Marvel score from him would be very welcome by me. I wish he'd done Ender's Game, even.

He might be doing some movie called Wolf Totem, by the director of Enemy at the Gates, which I loved, and the synopsis sounds like something Horner would do.
  5. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Demetris wrote

Come to think of it I don't know a single concert piece by Horner, no Symphony, no concerto, no nothing.
  6. There's this and this.
  7. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    There's this and this.

That's interesting. Thanks! smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2014
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Demetris wrote

Love it! The problem being that the chance of any classical work being recorded and available for listening being slim........unless you're John Williams.
  8. I'm still waiting for a recording of a piece Thomas Newman wrote a few years ago called "It Got Dark." He performed it with the Kronos Quartet and the LA Philharmonic.
  9. Demetris wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Southall wrote
    He wants to work. People aren't hiring him.

I find that extremely difficult to believe. I was under the impression that he had simply gotten more picky about his projects. Yes, he had bad luck last year with rejections, but I don't think that means he's not wanted anymore. After all, Marc Webb apparently had to really strongarm him into getting to score The Amazing Spider-Man.

Why don't you believe it? He couldn't be more different from the Zimmer sound everyone is asking nowadays. And this is why he got rejected for Amazing Spiderman II, despite writing a gorgeous (imo) score for the first film.

Listen to the composers from his time and magnitude that still get works:

JNH: a tired, Zimmer copying composer.
    Doyle: an uninspired, weary, Zimmer copying composer. Somewhat sounding like Brian Tyler but without his zeal, excitement and vast energy.
    T.Newman: an unmistakable musical identity that still finds its way into certain type of films that can't be fitted with Zimmer-like music thankfully.
    Silvestri: an uninspired and tired Zimmer copying composer, with thankfully few exceptions.
    Giacchino: has his style, hired to do fantasy and sci-fi grand films that would previously require John Williams.

Horner has a very distinct 90's Hollywood style that sadly directors and studio execs think of as too 'old-fashioned' nowdays.

I loved The Amazing Spider-Man too but parts of it and Avatar do sound a bit Zimmer-like. So he's not as different as one would think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Southall wrote

He might be doing some movie called Wolf Totem, by the director of Enemy at the Gates, which I loved, and the synopsis sounds like something Horner would do.

Ah, indeed, Enemy at the gates is one of my all time favoriter H scores.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  10. Kevin Scarlet wrote
    Demetris wrote

Yeah, time to find more obscure classical pieces we won't recognize and would be oblivious to the lifts thereof. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  11. NP: Oliver Twist (1948) - Arnold Bax
    Re-recording on Chandos.

A benchmark recording of a beautiful score.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ One of my all time favourite scores! Great recording!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. NP: Scott of the Antarctic (1948) - Ralph William Vaughan
    Re-recording on Chandos.

Timmer is right about this one. He is right about this one. wink

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Grand Budapest Hotel - Alexandre Desplat

Oh, this is brilliant. So light and airy - and witty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Desplat! punk