• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    That's not what I meant. Y'all are definitely misunderstanding me!

So I'll probably miss out on a few good scores this year that fall through the cracks, but hopefully I'll also avoid wasting my time on a lot of mundane stuff. I don't need to check out every Christophe Beck or Christopher Lennertz comedy score this year. That's the kind of stuff I'm planning to skip.

I understand this and i am with you on this point, but not in general. For instance: Lennertz, rarely my thing. As well as some other composers; almost never my things. But there are surprises here and there. Like Teddy Shapiro's Walter Mitty this year which has been fantastic, very much unlike his previous scores which are completely tedious to me.

Sorry for misunderstanding you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    *Cough....cough* Half-a-dozen???? shocked That's it?! shocked

Alright... what HAVE you heard, Edmund?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. Planet of the Apes
    The Secret of NIMH
    Total Recall
    Mulan
    The Mummy
    The 13th Warrior

Plus assorted bits and pieces..."Bloody Christmas", "Ave Satani", his trailer music from Judge Dredd, the theme from Star Trek: Voyager...

...I know, I know. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Do you have any interest in exploring any of my radio shows that feature Goldsmith's music or would you rather a gigantic list of scores that you NEED to listen to and just sample them on Spotify?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Monuments Men - Alexandre Desplat

First listen... more Desplat torture or a pleasant surprise? Let's see...

This, ladies and gentlemen, is EXCELLENT!

-Erik-
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Do you have any interest in exploring any of my radio shows that feature Goldsmith's music or would you rather a gigantic list of scores that you NEED to listen to and just sample them on Spotify?

I might set some time aside and listen to your radio shows. I have this weird thing about "spoiling" scores though - when I first listen to a score, I want to hear the whole thing "fresh" (which is also why I avoid samples whenever I can). I also like to do composer marathons, so when I want to really acquaint myself with a composer, I get a ton of their stuff and listen to it chronologically. That's what I would want to do with Goldsmith.

I do know pretty much what the priorities would be, so I don't think I'd need a list (plus, from what I hear, it's hard to really go wrong with Goldsmith). But if I were to start with, say, five, what would you say to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Final Conflict, First Knight, The Blue Max and perhaps The Wind and the Lion?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    But if I were to start with, say, five, what would you say to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Final Conflict, First Knight, The Blue Max and perhaps The Wind and the Lion?

Can't go wrong with that list. All brilliant scores!

-Erik-
  3. Alien
    First Knight
    Lionheart
    Masada (re-recording)
    The Omen I-III
    Papillon
    Poltergeist
    QB VII
    Total Recall
    Star Trek 1&5

I'd like to humbly force on you.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Total Recall, at least, I've already heard (and it's incredible!). If past history is anything to go by I sense that this thread is about to degenerate into a list of hundreds of "must-get" Goldsmith scores. Maybe I oughtta just get all of them. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    SALAMANDEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I do know pretty much what the priorities would be, so I don't think I'd need a list (plus, from what I hear, it's hard to really go wrong with Goldsmith). But if I were to start with, say, five, what would you say to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Final Conflict, First Knight, The Blue Max and perhaps The Wind and the Lion?

Except for THE BLUE MAX, which I've always found annoying, all of those are fine.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Thanks for recommending The Blue Max, Thor. If you find it annoying it's bound to be excellent. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Total Recall, at least, I've already heard (and it's incredible!). If past history is anything to go by I sense that this thread is about to degenerate into a list of hundreds of "must-get" Goldsmith scores. Maybe I oughtta just get all of them. wink

Just stick with the five you mentioned above and then come back for five more suggestions.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Agent Cody Banks - John Powell

A-MAZING. One of his all time best!

-Erik-
  6. That score was never commercially released, was it? Someone should get on that - it's incredible! Proof that Powell should be scoring real Bond movies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't want Powell to score a Bond film because he's pretty much conquered that genre already. I mean, he's already got his own "Bond" series with the Bourne films.

-Erik-
  7. But the Bourne scores are stylistically very different to the Bond musical universe. I want to hear a Powell Bond score that takes the sound of "Hog Chase Part 2" from Paycheck and runs with it for the entire film. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Again, why not just listen to Hog Chase? Powell doing a Bond score doesn't interest me at all.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thanks for recommending The Blue Max, Thor. If you find it annoying it's bound to be excellent. wink

biggrin punk applause
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    But if I were to start with, say, five, what would you say to Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Final Conflict, First Knight, The Blue Max and perhaps The Wind and the Lion?

Can't go wrong with that list. All brilliant scores!

-Erik-

Absolutely what Erik said. Don't get bogged down by peoples lists suggestions ( I'm guilty of that shit too wink ) that is a fantastic, really fantastic starter for 5.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : GRAND PIANO - Victor Reyes

I agree with D and Erik, this is bloody outstanding.
  8. Erik Woods wrote
    Again, why not just listen to Hog Chase? Powell doing a Bond score doesn't interest me at all.

Because I want to hear more excellent Powell action music in the style of "Hog Chase" and I think that sound would work really well in a Bond movie. Not so hard to understand, is it? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote

Glad you liked it dear Tim, this was a huge surprise in 2013! Great score, very eager to hear his future works. 'Buried', his breakthrough score, although good, didn't hint that this would follow.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote

Glad you liked it dear Tim, this was a huge surprise in 2013! Great score, very eager to hear his future works. 'Buried', his breakthrough score, although good, didn't hint that this would follow.

It's a fantastically full-bodied work that just grips and doesn't let go. It's worthy of the concert hall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    It is. Of course, there's a lot of pastiche in it (Rach, mostly), but as you say it's a wonderfully "full" piece.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Grand Piano - VR

As good as the hype, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Monuments Men - Alexandre Desplat

First listen... more Desplat torture or a pleasant surprise? Let's see...

This, ladies and gentlemen, is EXCELLENT!

-Erik-

My early favourite of the year so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Mr Peabody and Sherman - Danny Elfman

I remember how much I used to like Danny Elfman. I can't believe he's ended up doing this sort of thing. It's well done for what it is, but I wish he was aiming higher. I think someone said he had young kids, so maybe he's doing films for them.
  9. Yeah, I posted similar thoughts that score recently. It's frustrating because I don't know exactly what to fault - technically it's all fine - but for whatever reason, my interest in new scores by him has diminished to almost nothing over the last couple years. Couldn't for the life of me tell you why. confused

As for "aiming higher" - well, I think that modern-day animated movies are usually a much more fertile ground for composers than modern-day action movies, and their scores have generally been much more enjoyable. So I don't fault Elfman for trying his hand at it. But it doesn't seem like he's the greatest match.