• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014
    You guys need to listen to stuff like PROMISED LAND, RESTLESS or THE NEXT THREE DAYS. That's the kind of adult, more restrained Elfman that I love these days. High expectations also for the Donald Rumsfeld documentary, which -- from the little I've heard -- sounds like a riff on the brilliant S.O.P. (which was also an Erroll Morris film).

However, I do think there's some great stuff in the kiddie material too.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Wasn't really impressed with Promised Land (can't remember a lick about it, actually, other than that it was pretty restrained and quite minimalistic) but I do very much enjoy The Next Three Days, a lot moreso than I'd usually expect to enjoy a score like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Grand Piano - VR

As good as the hype, I think.

This isn't your first listen, is it!? I'll be shocked if it is.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote
    Grand Piano - VR

As good as the hype, I think.

This isn't your first listen, is it!? I'll be shocked if it is.

-Erik-

Oh no, I've been enjoying it for months.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Again, why not just listen to Hog Chase? Powell doing a Bond score doesn't interest me at all.

Because I want to hear more excellent Powell action music in the style of "Hog Chase" and I think that sound would work really well in a Bond movie. Not so hard to understand, is it? dizzy

Meh... I'll just listen to Agent Cody Banks!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Wasn't really impressed with Promised Land (can't remember a lick about it, actually, other than that it was pretty restrained and quite minimalistic) but I do very much enjoy The Next Three Days, a lot moreso than I'd usually expect to enjoy a score like that.

PROMISED LAND is absolutely gorgeous, and one of my favourite scores from the last couple of years. But to each their own.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Again, you liked Pain and Gain. I just can't take you seriously anymore. wink

-Erik-
  2. lol

To be honest I don't see what's so shockingly dreadful about that score. I mostly just found it dull. But I can easily see how someone who likes Cliff Martinez might enjoy it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There's nothing wrong with Cliff Martinez.

There's nothing right with Pain and Gain.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014 edited
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture Jerry Goldsmith

Three of cinema's greatest themes in one score. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    punk
  3. NP: Ka-en Kita-no Yousei Den - Kenji Kawai

Typical Kawai percussion, typical Kawai strings, typical Kawai chorus.

Typical Kenji Kawai.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture Jerry Goldsmith

Three of cinema's greatest themes in one score. love

Three of cinema's greatest themes in one score amongst many great scores with more than one full bodied theme back in the day. What do we get now, oh, there's lot's of motifs....

rolleyes

yes I know there's exceptions but they're few and far between
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Yeah, I posted similar thoughts that score recently. It's frustrating because I don't know exactly what to fault - technically it's all fine - but for whatever reason, my interest in new scores by him has diminished to almost nothing over the last couple years. Couldn't for the life of me tell you why. confused

As for "aiming higher" - well, I think that modern-day animated movies are usually a much more fertile ground for composers than modern-day action movies, and their scores have generally been much more enjoyable. So I don't fault Elfman for trying his hand at it. But it doesn't seem like he's the greatest match.

Isn't easy to guess? Same as JNH, Silvestri, etc. They lost interest, they're in for the money, thus it's natural that it shows in the music they compose, and we lose interest too.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Let's not compare Martinez with Jablonsky once again please.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Demetris wrote

Indeed. They're apple and oranges in terms of sound. Different qualities. But both good.
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Demetris wrote

Yeah, you're right - Jablonsky's music can sometimes be enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: TO THE WONDER (Hanan Townsend/various)

I love this album! So soothing and ambient....just my kind of music. Haven't seen the film yet, though.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : GRAND PIANO - Victor Reyes

I agree with D and Erik, this is bloody outstanding.

Glad you liked it dear Tim, this was a huge surprise in 2013! Great score, very eager to hear his future works. 'Buried', his breakthrough score, although good, didn't hint that this would follow.

It's a fantastically full-bodied work that just grips and doesn't let go. It's worthy of the concert hall.

Giving this another blast love
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. NP: The Yakuza - Dave Grusin

A great main theme when it gets going. The rest is a bit more "atmospheric" than I remember it being. But, because there's a strong Oriental influence on the score, it's still interesting to listen to.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. NP: Rocky (1977) - Bill Conty

As iconic as it gets.

1977: STAR WARS, Rocky, Saturday Night Fever, Close Encounters, ... what a year!

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Rocky (1977) - Bill Conty

As iconic as it gets.

1977: STAR WARS, Rocky, Saturday Night Fever, Close Encounters, ... what a year!

Volker

Not to mention my own birth!
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

As iconic as it gets.

Volker

applause biggrin fireworks beer wave
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I was 15 waiting in a massive queue to see Star Wars.
  8. I was 6, knowing nothing about SW. I think I was 9 years old when I became highly interested in SW toys they sold when EMPIRE hit. I loved the die cast x-wing. (Never got it. sad ) The films itself I saw relatively late on VHS video. Not before the special editions did I see the OT on the big screen.

Germany was not as used to space opera as was the English speaking world. I wasn't till the 1978 re-run that SW really took off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

As iconic as it gets.

Volker

And indeed mine.
  9. Southall wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote

As iconic as it gets.

Volker

And indeed mine.

applause biggrin fireworks beer wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Let us all pause for a moment's reflection, because it was also the year the world lost Elvis Presley.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SAVANNAH (Gil Talmi)

Beautiful score -- and what a heartbreaking piano track "Time and Tide" is. Love it!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: REGARDING HENRY - REJECTED (Georges Delerue)

I love Hans Zimmer's score, but this is classic Delerue. Wonderful.
    I am extremely serious.