• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. It is, just not everyone has Robert Folk among their friends, so they can't read it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  2. yeah slant
  3. Well I have to say that Divergent is actually quite a pleasant surprise. Maybe it's just that after the awful 300 score my expectations for any of Junkie XL's film scores were subterranean, but this is not half bad. He still has trouble distancing himself from the tired Man of Steel percussion and synth brass in the action music (the fourteen-minute (!!!!) cue towards the end, "You're Not Gonna Like This", is a hell of a slog). But the quieter portions of the score are surprisingly nice. There's a main theme which is admittedly based on the four chords of pop, but because it's performed in quite a pop-ish style (the slow, soothing, soft kind...you know, with echoing guitars...I wish I knew what to actually call it shame ), it works better and feels less forced than, say, your average Brian Tyler theme.

If you put together an album out of "Tris", "Capture the Flag", "Ferris Wheel", "I Am Divergent", "A Friend", "Conspiracy", "Faction Before Blood", "Final Test", "The March" (rad Vangelis stylistics in this one!), "Fight the Dauntless" and "Everywhere and Nowhere" you'd have a nice, reasonably varied three-star 45 minutes or so. Okay, Junkie XL...you win this round. You've made me not completely hate the fact that you got three plum assignments out of nowhere this year when there are literally hundreds of more deserving composers. Damn it. tongue

Thor, I think there are some parts of this that you'd particularly like. Then again, it's a ninety-minute album... dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Well I have to say that Divergent is actually quite a pleasant surprise. Maybe it's just that after the awful 300 score my expectations for any of Junkie XL's film scores were subterranean, but this is not half bad. He still has trouble distancing himself from the tired Man of Steel percussion and synth brass in the action music (the fourteen-minute (!!!!) cue towards the end, "You're Not Gonna Like This", is a hell of a slog). But the quieter portions of the score are surprisingly nice. There's a main theme which is admittedly based on the four chords of pop, but because it's performed in quite a pop-ish style (the slow, soothing, soft kind...you know, with echoing guitars...I wish I knew what to actually call it shame ), it works better and feels less forced than, say, your average Brian Tyler theme.

If you put together an album out of "Tris", "Capture the Flag", "Ferris Wheel", "I Am Divergent", "A Friend", "Conspiracy", "Faction Before Blood", "Final Test", "The March" (rad Vangelis stylistics in this one!), "Fight the Dauntless" and "Everywhere and Nowhere" you'd have a nice, reasonably varied three-star 45 minutes or so. Okay, Junkie XL...you win this round. You've made me not completely hate the fact that you got three plum assignments out of nowhere this year when there are literally hundreds of more deserving composers. Damn it. tongue

Thor, I think there are some parts of this that you'd particularly like. Then again, it's a ninety-minute album... dizzy

Gosh darn it, the score album is really long. It's about as complete as I want it to be. There are some great moments within that, if given some judicious editing, would make for an entertaining 45 minutes. Tom Holkenborg certainly proved something to me; That he can do an electronic score well, Paranoia not withstanding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP: Grand Piano - Victor Reyes

I got this as an impulse by, after hearing some sparse praise about here. Very enjoyable symphonic score, in every meaning of that score. I really like that the symphonic movements are intrinsic to the narrative while functioning as source music. However, I hate that there are times when the music sounds so synthesized and detract from the experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Are they quiet/soothing and/or electronica-based? If so, yeah.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    And yet... you gushed over Gravity. Bonkers! dizzy

-Erik-

Speaking of which, Seen Gravity last week. It was entertaining for sure, but essentially plot-less. Expecting more from a director of Alfonso Cuaron's size next time. Cinematography was breathtaking, a marvel of modern cinema. But the movie essentially felt like a beautifully-shot cinematography commercial. However, i expected it, in some ways... i mean, Cuaron's cinematography was phenomenal in CHILDREN OF MEN too (remember the car chase scene?) and perhaps this came as no surprise for me at all when watching Gravity. It was expected, he's a master of cinematography. But where Children of Men kept me gripping at the entire duration and had an unsettling cold feeling all over it, Gravity didn't even come close to this; it was plain awe (technological) and tension during the debris hits and just simple anticipation for the ending after those hits; no stirs, no intense feelings, and 2 cheesy scenes as well (Clooney in soyuz and the ending) which i didn't expect to see at a Cuaron flick.

And the small appreciation i had for the Oscar Winning score, dropped even more after seeing the movie. The only two moments it was actually as gripping as the buzz described it, was the two first major debris hit scenes. The rest was - at times, intruding. Where's the emptiness, vastness of space with female vocals and synths? What the magnificent sound design department achieved during the first part of the film (as well as the music which was pretty spot-on during the debris hits as i said earlier) was spoiled by the music afterwards, when Bullock escapes the debris field and until the last scene.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Well I have to say that Divergent is actually quite a pleasant surprise. Maybe it's just that after the awful 300 score my expectations for any of Junkie XL's film scores were subterranean, but this is not half bad. He still has trouble distancing himself from the tired Man of Steel percussion and synth brass in the action music (the fourteen-minute (!!!!) cue towards the end, "You're Not Gonna Like This", is a hell of a slog). But the quieter portions of the score are surprisingly nice. There's a main theme which is admittedly based on the four chords of pop, but because it's performed in quite a pop-ish style (the slow, soothing, soft kind...you know, with echoing guitars...I wish I knew what to actually call it shame ), it works better and feels less forced than, say, your average Brian Tyler theme.

Gosh darn it, the score album is really long. It's about as complete as I want it to be. There are some great moments within that, if given some judicious editing, would make for an entertaining 45 minutes. Tom Holkenborg certainly proved something to me; That he can do an electronic score well, Paranoia not withstanding.

300 : sequel is a fun score, not deserving all the accusations imo. Listening to it now, loud and enjoying it punk I am in this kind of mood smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. NP: Tarzan (2014) - David Newman
    On Spotify

Well, the first cue sounds very Zimmerish. Let's see ...

Volker

EDIT: There is a lot of RC/MV in this score, which David Newman probably was told to deliver. Still, there are moments of pure Newman style beauty. Anyway, I think I have enough of that type of score music in my collection already and it suffices to listen to this online.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  5. Thor wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Are they quiet/soothing and/or electronica-based? If so, yeah.

Yes they are, which is exactly why I thought of you. tongue wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    NP: Grand Piano - Victor Reyes

I got this as an impulse by, after hearing some sparse praise about here. Very enjoyable symphonic score, in every meaning of that score. I really like that the symphonic movements are intrinsic to the narrative while functioning as source music. However, I hate that there are times when the music sounds so synthesized and detract from the experience.

Are you drunk?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. Maybe he's talking about the Main Title, which indeed has some synths in it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    They're barely noticeable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. I hereby declare the final two minutes or so of "End Credits" from Independence Day to be the second-best ending to a score ever. First best is Cutthroat Island. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Wrong. Best ending is unanimously The Empire Strikes Back. FACT! But ID4 and CutThroat aren't too far behind. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The dramatic ending to Papillon with images beats all of those. It's not all about CRASH! BANG! WALLOP! wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2014 edited
    Timmer wrote
    The dramatic ending to Papillon with images beats all of those. It's not all about CRASH! BANG! WALLOP! wink

Which is why is doesn't beat them all. wink

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  8. Hmm, yes, that one's not too shabby either. punk
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    Timmer wrote

Which is why is doesn't beat them all. wink

-Erik-

lol yeah
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2014 edited
    Today is six plus hours of power anthems. wink Playing my Zimmer playlist. So good! Actually, it's not all power anthems. I just finished with the brilliant main title theme to True Romance.

-Erik-
  10. A reassessment in progress? smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote

Not for me it doesn't! I know it's not a popular opinion among the more connoisseur film music fan, but I'm with Edmund on this one. Arnold's End Credits suite for ID4 floors me every time, without fail.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Good for you.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : MISSION TO MARS - Ennio Morricone

Magnificent!
  11. Indeed, highly underrated.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Only by half witted cretins.
  12. Like Clemmensen? biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yup! biggrin wink
  13. It's funny, but most "difficult" scores are to me easier to grasp and love than some "easy" ones. I remember people telling me that it took them time to appreciate for example AI and Memoirs of a Geisha. The same people were giving five stars to Hook. Guess what: AI and Geisha are some of my Williams favorites... and I still haven't fully warmed up to Hook.