• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I haven't heard the Delerue, but I'm not a huge fan of that Zimmer score - one of my least favorites from that part of his career. Puts me right to sleep every time I hear it. But I'm not a big fan of the sonority of muted trumpets so maybe that has something to do with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2014
    I ADORE that. The more muted and calm and soothing, the better. SLOW; SLOW; SLOW...that's the name of the game. It can't get slow and calm enough. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  2. sleep
  3. Wasn't there a Thor a couple years back who said he didn't care about the rejected scores?

dizzy
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Let us all pause for a moment's reflection, because it was also the year the world lost Elvis Presley.

To what exactly? You and I know very well that Elvis lives!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. I remember I was on holiday on Skye when I heard the news of Elvis' death.

NP: Fringe - Season 5 - Chris Tilton

Tilton's music for this show got better and better, though I gave up with the show itself way before Season 5.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    justin boggan wrote
    Wasn't there a Thor a couple years back who said he didn't care about the rejected scores?

dizzy

Not exactly. I said that the TOPIC of rejected scores doesn't interest me that much, at least not compared to yourself. However, I obviously do care about a great deal of rejected scores in a musical sense. At least those that have been made available for the public.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    NP: TO THE WONDER (Hanan Townsend/various)

I love this album! So soothing and ambient....just my kind of music. Haven't seen the film yet, though.

Works wonders in the film, lovely score.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thor wrote
    I ADORE that. The more muted and calm and soothing, the better. SLOW; SLOW; SLOW...that's the name of the game. It can't get slow and calm enough. wink

It's a nice soothing score from the early Zimmer era.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It was incredibly foggy here last night. What is the best fog music?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The ones that come to mind are the track from Jaws ( is it Night Search? ), The Great Train Robbery and a superb track on Howard Blake's The Riddle of The Sands.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mark Isham's the crazies, and the mist
    Graeme Revell's 'the fog' from 2005
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'd like to drive through a fog some day listening to this piece.

Peter smile
  5. Timmer wrote
    It was incredibly foggy here last night. What is the best fog music?

You too? It was pretty insane up here in Bangor. We live at no. 15 and no. 5 down the road was pretty much invisible last night.

It's been otherwise gorgeous weather this week and I've been cooped up inside writing a paper. Now that I've handed it in, of course, it's back to the grey old usual. Funny how that works. rolleyes
  6. The sun's trying to break through here in Flintshire: I can just about see the Dee Estuary which is about a mile away.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2014 edited
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Outstanding! It gets better with each listen. I can't say the same about the first and third score though.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. ^ Definitely the best of the three, although I'm not sure I'd place it that far beyond the other two.

NP: The Mummy Returns, Alan Silvestri

This was a very early score for me, probably among the first 30 or so I ever heard. It's still excellent, although these days I think I'd say that Goldsmith's is better (both of them completely kick the ass of that sodden dishrag of a score that Randy Edelman cooked up). For some reason there seems to be a lot more suspense music than I remember though, with that unpleasant bowed cymbal effect of Silvestri's that I dislike. Still, hard to argue with "My First Bus Ride" or the end credits cue (I'm listening to the complete score - the original album, with its lack of the music for the film's third act, was completely unacceptable). cool
  8. NP: Bad Words - Rolfe Kent

This one isn't going to be play much. This is billed as a "comedy score", I'm assuming it's a score for a film that has been placed in a comedy category. How come music for this style of film is usually so uninteresting?

Bad Words (Kent), Girl On A Bicycle (Richey), Knights of Badassdom (McCreary), Ride Along (Lennertz), That Awkward Moment (Torn), The Right Kind of Wrong (Portman), Welcome To The Jungle (Preusser)...all pretty much forgettable save for a few tracks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    ^ Definitely the best of the three, although I'm not sure I'd place it that far beyond the other two.

By a fucking country mile!

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    NP: The Mummy Returns, Alan Silvestri

This was a very early score for me, probably among the first 30 or so I ever heard. It's still excellent, although these days I think I'd say that Goldsmith's is better (both of them completely kick the ass of that sodden dishrag of a score that Randy Edelman cooked up). For some reason there seems to be a lot more suspense music than I remember though, with that unpleasant bowed cymbal effect of Silvestri's that I dislike. Still, hard to argue with "My First Bus Ride" or the end credits cue (I'm listening to the complete score - the original album, with its lack of the music for the film's third act, was completely unacceptable). cool

Accept it. The original album was compiled before the LA pick up sessions, which contained the climatic battle music. However, a lot of that music seems to be recycled material from the first two thirds of the score minus the brilliant end credit cue. There is no way the producers of the album could afford the reuse fees to include the LA sessions.

The original album is still a stunning listen.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  9. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bad Words (Kent), Girl On A Bicycle (Richey), Knights of Badassdom (McCreary), Ride Along (Lennertz), That Awkward Moment (Torn), The Right Kind of Wrong (Portman), Welcome To The Jungle (Preusser)...all pretty much forgettable save for a few tracks.

Which is why I'm skipping this type of music this year in favor of older stuff that I've either not listened to in a long time or ever. wink

Erik Woods wrote
    Accept it. The original album was compiled before the LA pick up sessions, which contained the climatic battle music. However, a lot of that music seems to be recycled material from the first two thirds of the score minus the brilliant end credit cue. There is no way the producers of the album could afford the reuse fees to include the LA sessions.

The original album is still a stunning listen.

Yeah, I know the reasons for why the album is the way it is. Doesn't mean I have to like it tongue . And you're partially right about those final action cues, but in general I find them to be better iterations of what comes earlier in the album. E.g. there's a six minute track called "Face to Face" which takes ingredients from "The Legend of the Scorpion King" and "Evy Remembers" but fleshes them out in a more robust manner - certainly not just tracking them in or anything. Technically "Sandcastles" is similar to the end credits cue as well, but it's a much weaker and shorter version of the same music.

Either way, I think it would be a good candidate for someone like La-La Land to give the deluxe treatment - I'd snap that up in an instant. Unlike Goldsmith's original where everything important was included on the original album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Either way, I think it would be a good candidate for someone like La-La Land to give the deluxe treatment - I'd snap that up in an instant. Unlike Goldsmith's original where everything important was included on the original album.

Agreed!

-Erik-
  10. FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Bad Words - Rolfe Kent

This one isn't going to be play much. This is billed as a "comedy score", I'm assuming it's a score for a film that has been placed in a comedy category. How come music for this style of film is usually so uninteresting?

You're listening to some poor comedy scores. I can put together a short list for you of good one, if you want.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I love the first two MUMMY scores equally well, I think, but if you put a gun to my head I'd probably go for the Goldsmith. It is, after all, my favourite JG.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Agreed!

-Erik-

I find the current lack of discord in this thread very disturbing.

Anyone heard JunkieXL's score for Divergent? I found it to be a huge improvement over his 300 score. In fact, it sounds like all the best parts of his previous scores, including his 300 score shocked .
  11. I just threw it on now. The opening cue is already leagues better than anything in 300: Rise of an Empire. Promising start!
  12. ...and the second cue slides right back into wannabe-Man of Steel zone. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    ...and the second cue slides right back into wannabe-Man of Steel zone. slant

Keep listening. There are some notable build-up cues that is quite good.
  13. There's a lot of pop influence in this, isn't there? Like actual top-40-type pop. That's not something you often hear in a film score (...thankfully?) so it's kind of interesting in and of itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    NP: The Dark Knight - Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard

Outstanding! It gets better with each listen. I can't say the same about the first and third score though.

-Erik-

First and third scores are top too smile
  14. They're OK, I guess... *shrug*