• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2014
    STOP IT ALREADY!
    I am extremely serious.
  1. What, Skyfall?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : DANCES WITH WOLVES 2: THE SCARLET LETTER - John Barry

Very good score. I'm not sure why Samuel Barber's Adagio is on the album? Still, it's a nice choral version of this very overused piece.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    STOP IT ALREADY!

Thomas Bergersen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    NP : DANCES WITH WOLVES 2: THE SCARLET LETTER - John Barry

...this time it's personal?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, he gets really pissy this time.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Electric Boogaloo!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014
    NP : LIVE AND LET DIE - George Martin

A very fine title song from Macca and one of the very best non-Barry, Bond scores. Superb!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2014
    NP: PUSS IN BOOTS (Henry Jackman)

Muscular Hispanic music. It's often fun, but there's also a little too much at times.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. ^ Fun score. Probably Jackman's best so far. It's like Horner's Zorro and a dash of spaghetti western filtered through John Powell's animated sensibilities - although not quite as amazing as that makes it sound (to me, anyways wink ).
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014
    NP: Tarzan - David Newman

My favourite score of the new year... by a LONG shot!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. 'Tis a 2013 score though. Came out in October in Russia...God I hate stuff like that. Just release the bloody score when the film first comes out! slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2014 edited
    Well, I can play the it hasn't been released here yet card... but it doesn't even look like it's ever going to be released here. No one in North America has picked up it's distribution rights. slant

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

This year is that bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's only March smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    If memory serves, scores were warming up quite nicely by this time last year?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

This year is that bad.

Tarzan is NOT bad. Not bad at all. Yeah, as I pointed out in earlier post the RCisms that pop up here and there are a bit annoying but Newman's distinct voice is all over this score. If you like The Phantom then you'll like this! The last three track especially are magnificent!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    If memory serves, scores were warming up quite nicely by this time last year?

Actually, scores never cooled down coming out of 2012. If I'm not mistaken scores like Evil Dead, Escape From Tomorrow and Remember Me all came in early in 2013. It wasn't really until the summer was their any sort of let down.

-Erik-
  5. Erik Woods wrote
    Well, I can play the it hasn't been released here yet card... but it doesn't even look like it's ever going to be released here. No one in North America has picked up it's distribution rights. slant

It currently holds a 4.3 on imdb so maybe that's for a good reason. tongue

This year hasn't yet offered a truly memorable score, but it did give us "That's a Wrap", which is a more addictive cue to me than anything 2013 had to offer. punk love

Then again, I've made a pledge to listen to only the big (and really well-received) stuff this year, and focus on closing some gaps in my collection. So maybe it's for the best that there hasn't been an overflow of great scores yet this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Then again, I've made a pledge to listen to only the big (and really well-received) stuff this year, and focus on closing some gaps in my collection. So maybe it's for the best that there hasn't been an overflow of great scores yet this year.

Why would you do that to yourself? I couldn't imagine just focusing on Hollywood blockbusters... I would be setting myself up for one disappointment after another.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Why would you do that to yourself? I couldn't imagine just focusing on Hollywood blockbusters... I would be setting myself up for one disappointment after another.

-Erik-

Edmund, unless you have some pretty good reasons behind this, it seems like the most close-minded and immature thing i've read in a while confused unless i am completely misunderstanding you.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. That's not what I meant. Y'all are definitely misunderstanding me!

If something obscure starts to pick up really good buzz then I'll check that out for sure. And I'll listen to the big stuff just because I don't want to miss out on the discussion. But I think that at least 80% of the scores I listened to for the first time in 2012 and 2013 came out in those two years. This year, I want to flip that ratio on its head and spend more time exploring the careers of Horner, Goldsmith, Williams and so on. My Goldsmith "collection" is frankly an embarrassment and that desperately has to change! There are some Horner scores in my collection that I haven't listened to in four or five years that I know I didn't give a fair enough chance the first time around.

So I'll probably miss out on a few good scores this year that fall through the cracks, but hopefully I'll also avoid wasting my time on a lot of mundane stuff. I don't need to check out every Christophe Beck or Christopher Lennertz comedy score this year. That's the kind of stuff I'm planning to skip.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Demetris wrote

Edmund, unless you have some pretty good reasons behind this, it seems like the most close-minded and immature thing i've read in a while confused unless i am completely misunderstanding you.

I think you've overreacted a bit here, D. I can see where Edmund is coming from, particularly if he wants to explore older scores more (and clearly his mind is open to suggestions). In fact I generally only listen to new and/or obscure scores if there's some kind of buzz surrounding them, as I rarely go out of my way to seek new scores. Perhaps not ideal, but time doesn't always permit such luxuries. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: The Grand Budapest Hotel - Alexandre Desplat

This does go on and on and on and on doesn't it? It sounds like an hours worth of source music and/or the same cue/theme almost repeated over and over again. Yikes!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I think it's absolutely catchy and great fun!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Ok... no more of that score... ever again! suicide What a poorly produced album.

NP: The Monuments Men - Alexandre Desplat

First listen... more Desplat torture or a pleasant surprise? Let's see...

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    My Goldsmith "collection" is frankly an embarrassment and that desperately has to change!

Being a film music fan and becoming a Goldsmith fan is like finding oil in the ground. There's a wealth of material to explore!
  7. Monuments Men > Grand Budapest Hotel, by far.

I've never quite been able to enjoy the scores to Wes Anderson movies. They're just aggressively quirky and repetitive. At least Grand Budapest isn't literally the same theme over and over again, which is what Moonrise Kingdom was, but it does feel that way.
  8. Steven wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    My Goldsmith "collection" is frankly an embarrassment and that desperately has to change!

Being a film music fan and becoming a Goldsmith fan is like finding oil in the ground. There's a wealth of material to explore!

I'm already a fan...of the half-dozen or so scores of his that I've heard in full. shame
  9. Seems like we have a new "Smaug" debate on our hands.

popcorn
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.