• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    I'm not even going to get into the PROMETHEUS discussion again. All I need to reiterate at this point is that it's the best film of 2012 -- by a WIDE margin.

biggrin

Haha very funny, Doctor Jones!
  1. Timmer wrote
    ^
    Better than watching Footie.... FACT!!!

Says the Snooker fan. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014
    I'm well aware I am a sitting target sitting in a glass house Edmund. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Snooker's okay, I MUCH prefer it to football. I tend to prefer one-on-one sports, tennis probably being my favourite.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    NP: Players - Jerry Goldsmith

A nice score. Not in my top 20 list of favorite Goldsmith scores, but still very good.

I love reading this thread. It always has a way of influencing my listening choices! wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    I love reading this thread. It always has a way of influencing my listening choices! wink

Me too!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote
    I'm not even going to get into the PROMETHEUS discussion again. All I need to reiterate at this point is that it's the best film of 2012 -- by a WIDE margin.

What do you make of Pawel's contention that it's the worst-written, best-directed film of that year? (And do elaborate.)

That's a good point, although I don't think it's as badly written as people make it out to be.

All of that is really irrelevant (to me) anyway, since I'm not going into a film like that for good storytelling. It's all -- ALL -- about audiovisuals and what they communicate on their own.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    That's a good point, although I don't think it's as badly written as people make it out to be.

You may think that, but you'd be wrong. Mercifully, you can't defend yourself since you've sworn not to get into this discussion again.
  2. That reminds me of some 1977 space opera extravaganza with a script full of logic holes. wink

(I mean, why hide someone under the name of Skywalker when that name is a dead giveaway. Why do they head to the rebel outpost when they must assume to be traced? Why does some greenhorn from nowhere with no military training whatsoever pilot an x-wing? ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Bit of an unfair comparison. Star Wars certainly has its fair share of plot holes, but they're not so pivotal to the overall experience as those in Prometheus (they actually add to the charm in some respects). Star Wars is a western in space, as well as a throw back to old serials like Flash Gordon, and its basic story is a simple one; it doesn't try to be anything more. The same cannot be said of Prometheus.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote

You may think that, but you'd be wrong. Mercifully, you can't defend yourself since you've sworn not to get into this discussion again.

biggrin On form you are today.
  3. Thor wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Thor wrote

What do you make of Pawel's contention that it's the worst-written, best-directed film of that year? (And do elaborate.)

All of that is really irrelevant (to me) anyway, since I'm not going into a film like that for good storytelling. It's all -- ALL -- about audiovisuals and what they communicate on their own.

Agreed. I liked the movie a lot. I hope the sequel is even better.
  4. Dances with Wolves - John Barry

I saw the movie last night, which was superb. The music was one reason why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2014
    A "Game of Thrones" day! Somehow keeping the same theme helps my studying better. So,
    NP: Game of Thrones Seasons 1,2,3 and 4~ Ramin Djawadi
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  5. NP: JAWS - John Williams
    Re-recording on VS

I don't like the concert like sound of this recording which is very different from the intimate sound of the music with both original recordings. As a presentation of the music in itself it is even so a great album.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Cyrano De Bergerac - Jean-Claude Petit

Petit's score offers a great mix of lovely Baroque flourishes, great swashbuckler feeling (the track Le Duel is a particularly fine example) and not a little bit of tongue-in-cheek as we even get a bit of the superhero feel through echoes of Elfman's Batman score.

All in all it fits the drama, romance and excitement of this wonderful 1991 interpretation of Rostand's classic.
    A fine and greatly enjoyable score.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2014 edited
    NP : LES MISERABLES - Alex North

cool

This is great music but boy could it do with a rerecording.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm really in the mood for North today...

NP : 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY - Alex North

This is the original score and it's markedly different from the Varese Jerry Goldsmith recording. I really like this but would have loved to hear what North would have come up with for the final cosmic sequence.
  6. I like this composition too. Yet I once saw sequences of the film with this music synched to it and I can understand, why Kubrick stayed with the temp track. (The only exception being the Blue Danube.) Maybe it is just a question of what you are used to, but Ligeti and Richard Strauss really seem unbeatalbe. Of course Kubrick could habe told North about his change of heart ...

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've been on holiday for a week, mostly lying on a sunbed listening to music and reading books. I thought it would be of interest to absolutely nobody whatsoever to keep track of what I listened to:

David Arnold: Godzilla, Independence Day
    John Barry: Frances, Out of Africa
    Elmer Bernstein: The Field, The Sons of Katie Elder
    John Debney: Lair
    Georges Delerue: Agnes of God, Steel Magnolias
    Olivier Deriviere: Remember Me
    George Fenton: Anna and the King, Ever After, Memphis Belle, Valiant
    Jerry Goldsmith: Basic Instinct, Capricorn One, The Mummy, Outland, Papillon, Total Recall, Under Fire
    James Horner: Avatar, Black Gold, Cocoon, For Greater Glory, The Karate Kid, Krull, Legends of the Fall
    James Newton Howard: Maleficent
    Mark Isham: Fly Away Home
    Rolfe Kent: Sideways
    Joel McNeely: A Million Ways to Die in the West
    Ennio Morricone: Cefalonia, I Promessi Sposi, Le Professionnel, Musashi, Revolver, Secret of the Sahara
    Randy Newman: Maverick, Parenthood
    Alan Silvestri: The Mummy Returns
    John Williams: Dracula, ET, Jurassic Park, War Horse
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That's rather a lot for a week. Impressive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Back To The Future Alan Silvestri

Best score to the best film (although I do have a very soft spot for the third film and its score). In terms of the film, this to me as Raiders is to Erik.
  7. Southall wrote
    I've been on holiday for a week, mostly lying on a sunbed listening to music and reading books. I thought it would be of interest to absolutely nobody whatsoever to keep track of what I listened to:

David Arnold: Godzilla, Independence Day
    John Barry: Frances, Out of Africa
    Elmer Bernstein: The Field, The Sons of Katie Elder
    John Debney: Lair
    Georges Delerue: Agnes of God, Steel Magnolias
    Olivier Deriviere: Remember Me
    George Fenton: Anna and the King, Ever After, Memphis Belle, Valiant
    Jerry Goldsmith: Basic Instinct, Capricorn One, The Mummy, Outland, Papillon, Total Recall, Under Fire
    James Horner: Avatar, Black Gold, Cocoon, For Greater Glory, The Karate Kid, Krull, Legends of the Fall
    James Newton Howard: Maleficent
    Mark Isham: Fly Away Home
    Rolfe Kent: Sideways
    Joel McNeely: A Million Ways to Die in the West
    Ennio Morricone: Cefalonia, I Promessi Sposi, Le Professionnel, Musashi, Revolver, Secret of the Sahara
    Randy Newman: Maverick, Parenthood
    Alan Silvestri: The Mummy Returns
    John Williams: Dracula, ET, Jurassic Park, War Horse

WALL-E?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote

If he can match it with the amount of books he read in a week, then I'll be impressed! wink

...and what books did you read James?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Back To The Future Alan Silvestri

Best score to the best film (although I do have a very soft spot for the third film and its score). In terms of the film, this to me as Raiders is to Erik.

I find all three films top notch entertainment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Yeah, I enjoy them as one long film. But I do think the first is the strongest of the three.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

If he can match it with the amount of books he read in a week, then I'll be impressed! wink

...and what books did you read James?

Not quite so many books! I really enjoyed "Walking the Amazon" by Ed Stafford and suspect you would too (I guess you're familiar with the expedition?) My favourite fiction was "The Strangler's Honeymoon" by Hakan Nesser - it's the ninth or tenth in a quite brilliant detective series, the best of the Scandinavian crime series which are now so popular thanks to its incredibly sharp wit. I also loved a book by David "Reginald Perrin" Nobbs which was like a modern day update of Reggie (evidenced by its name - "The Fall and Rise of Gordon Coppinger") but told from the CJ equivalent character's point of view instead.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2014
    Southall wrote
    I really enjoyed "Walking the Amazon" by Ed Stafford and suspect you would too (I guess you're familiar with the expedition?)

Nope! Not familiar with the story but sounds like my kind of thing. I'll look into it.

I'm currently reading Bill Bryson's A Walk In The Woods which I expect you've already read? Great book. I love being entertained with many LOL moments and learning things at the same time.
  8. NP - Vamos A Matar Companeros - Ennio Morricone

An extended GDM release. Another fun western score by the maestro. cool
  9. NP: Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulain (2001) Yann Tiersen

As Frensh as it gets. Nice music for relaxation.

Volker