• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    John Barry gets into my top 100 films with WALKABOUT, a score not on my listening list.

Me too. WALKABOUT is on my Top 100 films. I consider Nicolas Roeg's direction and the film editing and the cinematography as the reasons for WALKABOUT's impact. To me though, John Barry's score is the least impressive aspect - reactionary, almost - in comparison to film's overall unorthodox cinematic grammar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    Within the breakdown on my Top 50, there's 35 composers in total and only Alex North dominates with 5 titles (10% of my Top 50). There's 3 selections apiece for both Richard Rodney Bennett and Piero Piccioni.
    All others have either 2 entries or just 1.

The oldest soundtrack is Amfitheatrof's BIRD OF PARADISE (recorded in December of 1950, but released in 1951).

The most recent is Newton Howard's 2004 THE VILLAGE.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Those reasons and John Barry's impressive score for me.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015
    Timmer wrote
    Those reasons and John Barry's impressive score for me.

Yes, I know you like that John Barry score. For me, I prefer Stanley Myers with Nicolas Roeg. smile

The John Barry-scored films I like best are from mid-'60s: Bryan Forbes (SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON, THE WHISPERERS, etc.) and FOUR IN THE MORNING.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015
    I was playing LE TRAIN earlier, it's a score that would have easily made my list except that some of the other selections on the Universal France release didn't make my criteria for choosing.

I see there was a short suite on YT, at 5.46 it makes up about a third of the score.

For those who may want to hear it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpEmdbDHnU4
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015
    La-La Land's CD on JANE EYRE (a favorite in this thread of more than one person) will be deleted effective February 28th 2015. Reportedly, 90 copies continue to remain in stock.

Do you think these 90 CDs might get sold out prior to this upcoming Saturday?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2015 edited
    Hard to say.

Since I already had the Silva release prior to this, I had no interest in the LLL. But I hear the packaging and liner notes are good. If you don't have the score already, get it NOW! It's not only one of Williams' best scores, it's one of my favourite scores of all time (i.e. in my Top 10) and couldn't be more warmly recommended.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Cobweb wrote
    La-La Land's CD on JANE EYRE (a favorite in this thread of more than one person) will be deleted effective February 28th 2015. Reportedly, 90 copies continue to remain in stock.

Do you think these 90 CDs might get sold out prior to this upcoming Saturday?

There tends to be a run on a title when low quantities are announced. So, I would expect this to "fly off the shelves" now that the announcement has been made.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCobweb
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015 edited
    Here's a comment from a FSM thread about a Kritzerland release.

"Wow, I didn't know the person who started a thread owned the thread. Silly me, I thought all these threads were owned by FSM, which provides this platform for each and every user whether they are with a label or a humble individual. With each individual having every right to contribute whatever they see fit to whatever thread they choose."

This echoes my feelings about the MainTitles "policy" that a contributor is not permitted to surpass the person who started a MT thread (like me posting my #8 before Timmer did his #8). smile
  2. Nobody owns threads here, it was more like there were rules of a game, I would say smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015
    I don't believe they are set RULES, neither here or at FSM. It's more a matter of common decency and respect for the topic starter.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015 edited
    Thor wrote
    I don't believe they are set RULES, neither here or at FSM. It's more a matter of common decency and respect for the topic starter.

Agreed. There are no rules. I know that, with whenever I've started a topic where there's a continual addition of a list - I'm thinking of my year favourites topic - I liked being the person who would move the topic on to the next "instalment".
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2015 edited
    yeah guys! It's simply called being polite here. smile
  3. But if your're impolite we call the police. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.