• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2015
    Steven wrote
    Gamba Benjamin Wallfisch

Temp tracked though it, it's a lot of fun. (Any attempt to include the Attack of the Clones action music in a score is alright by me.)

Yes. The Battlestar Galactica theme is distracting but it's enjoyable music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2015
    Seventh Son Marco Beltrami

I suspect I'll be playing this one a lot in the coming weeks. This is excellent, one of his best. (And that's just from the first listen.)
  1. I'm so happy that finally got a release. That end credits cue is something else. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2015
    I'd be curious to hear it. The film is one of the absolutely worst of the year, but Beltrami usually delivers no matter what.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. NP: The Others - Alejandro Amenábar

Some beautifully sad music running through this score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Others - Alejandro Amenábar

Some beautifully sad music running through this score.

Just listened to this the other day too. A very talented composer. Such a shame he doesn't score his own films anymore. Marianelli's Agora score did nothing for me. Will be interested to hear the Banos score for his new film.

Beavis & Butthead Do America - John Frizzell

Totally forgot I even owned this. And it's good!
    A perfect 30 minute score actually, full of great variety and almost entirely orchestral. Frizzell plays it all fairly straight too which means there's virtually no 'comedy' music at all.
  3. NP: Carrie - Pino Donaggio

Sweet theme early on before things go awry. Some dodgy synths and tunes in amongst Donaggio's excellent score.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. NP: Spiders 3D - Joseph Conlan

A cracker of an opening track. The score soon settles to a percussive action score rather than a shocker horror frightfest.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Ant Man - Christophe Beck

One of the year's best. Some blistering, entertainingly complex action music to complement an infuriatingly addictive main theme.
  5. yeah

Plus, it has the best example yet of thematic interweaving in the MCU, in "First Mission". How the hell Jackman's Falcon theme manages to appear on this album but not the album of The Winter Soldier is a mystery for the ages (then again, that album has to be one of the worst in recent memory).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Erik Woods wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Wouldn't the third X-Men count as his Marvel film?

Yes, it does. This whole seperation between the MCU and non-MCU films is bullshit. The X-Men are Marvel comic book characters so the X-Men series are films are Marvel films.

-Erik-

It's not BS. Films made by Marvel Studio are Marvel Films. The fact that there were two different rendition of Quicksilver make this so. Films made by 20th Century Fox are Fox's version of Marvel comic book characters. It's like saying that Marvel movies are shitty based on how Fantastic Four ended up.

That said, I would be hugely interested in hearing a John Powell score for an MCU film. I think he would have been perfect for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie. The producers and overal aesthetics are different and would encourage a different approach than the X-Men - The Last Stand score. It won't happen though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    David OC wrote
    Ant Man - Christophe Beck

One of the year's best. Some blistering, entertainingly complex action music to complement an infuriatingly addictive main theme.

Yeah. It's one of the year's most surprising, expected and very welcomed score. Christophe Beck proved that he's got what it takes to create a well rounded score (e.g. Tower Heist) but managed to exceed my expectation with a catchy theme and very fun orchestral score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    yeah

Plus, it has the best example yet of thematic interweaving in the MCU, in "First Mission". How the hell Jackman's Falcon theme manages to appear on this album but not the album of The Winter Soldier is a mystery for the ages (then again, that album has to be one of the worst in recent memory).

Where is the Falcon's theme on the album?
  6. In "First Mission." You hear it from 1:30 onwards (those three-note brass phrases - it sounds a bit like the first three notes of Michael Kamen's Die Hard theme to me), and it plays counterpoint to the main Ant-Man theme at 2:40. Combine that with the Silvestri Avengers reference at 1:08 and you have a cue that represents pretty much the exact way I want to hear the MCU themes to intertwine - organically and playing off one another, not just chopped up and scattered here and there like in Age of Ultron.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2015 edited
    Oh yeah! I hear that. It is a bit like Die Hard, but different. I gotta say that The Winter Soldier score is much better as heard in the movie. That score was on point!

I hope to be able to see Ant-Man soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Back to the Future - Silvestri, Alan

I've never enjoyed this as much as I'm enjoying this listen to it. It's been three or four years since the last one and great Scott I think it's finally clicked.
  7. Erik will be so relieved. tongue
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015
    Southall wrote

I've never enjoyed this as much as I'm enjoying this listen to it. It's been three or four years since the last one and great Scott I think it's finally clicked.

I'm listening to it myself. I like aspects of it and certain cues but the shorter cues aren't always compelling and break up the flow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ You may now join Thor is weirdtartedvilleland.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. Listening to Ravenous. I forgot how much i loved it. Especially Boyd's Journey, Colquhoun's Story,The Pit and Saveoursoulissa. Will have to rewatch the film, too.
  9. In Harm's Way Goldsmith

The new release from Intrada, it sounds terrific! I missed the last release of this so really glad this new improved version has been released.

I picked this up when I visited the Intrada offices earlier today. I had a fantastic time, everyone was extremely friendly and welcoming and I could have spoken to Doug Fake for days, what a great guy!
  10. Breakfast at Tiffany's Mancini

I'd actually forgotten this had been released until I picked it up at Intrada today. What a monumental release, fantastic music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    TheWanderer wrote
    Listening to Ravenous. I forgot how much i loved it. Especially Boyd's Journey, Colquhoun's Story,The Pit and Saveoursoulissa. Will have to rewatch the film, too.

It's a damn fine little score, isn't it?
    Rather surprisingly liked the film quite a bit as well.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  11. Martijn wrote
    TheWanderer wrote
    Listening to Ravenous. I forgot how much i loved it. Especially Boyd's Journey, Colquhoun's Story,The Pit and Saveoursoulissa. Will have to rewatch the film, too.

It's a damn fine little score, isn't it?
    Rather surprisingly liked the film quite a bit as well.

I always loved the score but nobody ever seemed to talk about it. I was listening to it because The Revenant and Bone Tomahawk have me waiting to see them, and they're pretty grisly westerns from what i can tell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Odd, yeah. With Nyman attached you'd think it'd garner more attention?
    But then people who are into The Piano probably didn't quite know what to make of Ravenous. Plus it's of course a film that went largely under the radar. I know very few people having seen it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Martijn wrote
    Odd, yeah. With Nyman attached you'd think it'd garner more attention?
    But then people who are into The Piano probably didn't quite know what to make of Ravenous. Plus it's of course a film that went largely under the radar. I know very few people having seen it.

The Revenant and Bone Tomahawk

Never heard of those! But I do love me a 'grisly western', so I should probably have a look!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Starcraft II - Neal Acree

My, but this is an enjoyable hodgepodge of styles: epic, heroic, military, western-y, heavy metal...and it works like a charm! Highly energising and great fun.
    I think the game (the soundtrack was composed for) must be pretty damn exhaustnig though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Josh B wrote
    Southall wrote

I'm listening to it myself. I like aspects of it and certain cues but the shorter cues aren't always compelling and break up the flow.

I agree, actually, as much as I love both film and score. Some of those brief, Herrmann-ian 'chord-stop' effects (as I call them) tend to grate a bit. Same goes for BTTF2. Only BTTF3 seems to hold up as a listening experience throughout, but then again it's really just a straigthforward western score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    NP: Starcraft II - Neal Acree

My, but this is an enjoyable hodgepodge of styles: epic, heroic, military, western-y, heavy metal...and it works like a charm! Highly energising and great fun.
    I think the game (the soundtrack was composed for) must be pretty damn exhaustnig though.

Starcraft II is not done by Neal Acree solely, check this website for a detailed listing.

As with all Blizzard game scores, they've just compiled parts of the music and edited these together in an album (which doesn't always work IMO, because of lack of themes or structure). But it shouldn't come as a suprise that much of the best music within the game isn't officially released. That's why there exist gamerips and those are quite a bit longer, and structured differently.

The Starcraft II game is realtime strategy game with a superb storyline and the music you hear on the album is mostly written for the pre-rendered cutscenes.

Let me just state without exaggerating that there are some immensely talented composers working for Blizzard and the music they keep writing to this day (big and bold epic stuff, with huge choral parts and brassy fanfares) satisfies me more than 80 % of current film music.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  12. Captain Future wrote
    Steven wrote
    Pan John Powell

(Again.) I've played this an embarrassing amount of times. It's a John Powell pirate score. The Lord has answered my prayers.

This will be waiting for me when I return from vacation. This and "Sodom and Gomorrah".

Pan is fucking fantastic!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.