• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. The Rock is not a guilty pleasure, it's a genuinely great action score!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2015
    yeah

It was a game changer!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. Captain Future wrote
    I listened to this over my newly acquired Bose Sound Link color. Nice device. It reminds me a bit of listening to my old mono record player

Yes, and the desperate desire for stereo audio?
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2015 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Rock is not a guilty pleasure, it's a genuinely great action score!

I agree. I realise it's not held in the highest of regards in film music circles, but it does tend to be popular nonetheless. Clearly something about it stands the test of time. But it's not as good as...

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation Joe Kraemer

Might just have crept along side a Giacchino score as my favourite of the year, somewhat appropriately enough. It works spectacularly well in the film, which I greatly enjoyed. The best Mission Impossible film yet (and have since acquired an unhealthy crush on Rebecca Furgeson). I hope Kraemer returns for the next one. He's brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wroteHm. I think you're overreacting.

Not at all. Temp tracks need to be extinguished immediately. They're a crutch and incompetent little wiener directors are leaning on that crutch more and more and it's bloody annoying!

-Erik-

yeah
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    yeah

It was a game changer!

-Erik-

...and not for better.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    yeah

It was a game changer!

-Erik-

...and not for better.

True. Which is why I am a bit ambivalent about this score. It surely is a great action score though. One out of - I think - only three of it's kind that I thoroughly enjoy. The other two being Armageddon and Transformers.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I listened to this over my newly acquired Bose Sound Link color. Nice device. It reminds me a bit of listening to my old mono record player

Yes, and the desperate desire for stereo audio?

Well, I am on vacation and the place I stay at doesn't offer any stereo equipment safe for my own "in-ears". For such occasions I think those bluetooth mono speakers are a good thing. With a device that small you wouldn't really make out a stereo panorama or would you?
    I also bought this thing to play music samples in class with when introducing certain periods of culture. I then use the line in mode though because my beloved students would instantly try to hack into it with their phones. smile
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    The Rock is not a guilty pleasure, it's a genuinely great action score!

I started to listen to film music with that score and to be totally honest of all scores that I changed my opinion about this one has aged the worst. Maybe because I know the whole story behind the project and I started to notice some jarring issues in coherence or I just became more well-versed in film music history and even Zimmer's own work around the time.

To me the game-changer wasn't The Rock, but rather Bad Boys (why do we ALWAYS forget about Mark Mancina when discussing early Media Ventures music?) and Crimson Tide. Then of course The Rock, but also, another forgotten name and and a big influence on that, Nick Glennie-Smith.

I don't know, The Rock still remains one of the rare cases (alongside with Bad Boys and, I have to say, Pain and Gain) of a watchable Michael Bay film. The score does work great in the film (though I'd say Crimson Tide makes the movie what it is, which is something I wouldn't say about The Rock). But I ended up preferring other similar Zimmer works of its time. Broken Arrow, I am a rare case, I know, Crimson Tide, The Peacemaker definitely improves with a more complete presentation (the original album is a botched case of programming with half of the appearances of the best theme actually left out and emphasizes the relentless action too much, and actually it's one of his most interesting works structurally)... It ends up I don't return to The Rock as often as I used to when I started listening to film music.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  6. Of the big Zimmer action scores of the mid-90s (yeah, I know The Rock isn't only Zimmer, but he's all over it stylistically), I definitely like The Rock the best. The Peacemaker has better action music and Crimson Tide the better theme (by a hair), but The Rock has the best balance between the two (plus that lovely "Jade" theme as a secondary element). I like Broken Arrow as well but it does get a bit repetitive (not as much as James would have you think with that silly one-star review of his, but a bit).

I agree with what you say about Mancina though. Really, Speed (1994) was the first truly blockbuster MV action score, wasn't it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Twister is my favourite MV score. (Not that anyone asked.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Zimmer did power anthem scores before THE ROCK, of course (BLACK RAIN is my personal start point for that particular sound), but THE ROCK became the most popular of them all. Hence it was a gamechanger. Not because it was the first, but because it became the STAR WARS of that generation's film music lovers.

I think both film and score are pure masterpieces. Nothing "guilty" about liking it at all.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Zimmer did power anthem scores before THE ROCK, of course (BLACK RAIN is my personal start point for that particular sound), but THE ROCK became the most popular of them all. Hence it was a gamechanger. Not because it was the first, but because it became the STAR WARS of that generation's film music lovers.

Fuck you, Thor. You know how much I hate agreeing with you!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I agree with Erik on Grant Kirkhope's brilliant track Fractal Aquilon from the video game score to Civilisation: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide.

It's the best track I've heard this year. FACT!
  7. Hence I don't feel guilty any more. I have been exculpated. smile
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Of the big Zimmer action scores of the mid-90s (yeah, I know The Rock isn't only Zimmer, but he's all over it stylistically), I definitely like The Rock the best. The Peacemaker has better action music and Crimson Tide the better theme (by a hair), but The Rock has the best balance between the two (plus that lovely "Jade" theme as a secondary element). I like Broken Arrow as well but it does get a bit repetitive (not as much as James would have you think with that silly one-star review of his, but a bit).

I agree with what you say about Mancina though. Really, Speed (1994) was the first truly blockbuster MV action score, wasn't it?

It was, but it wasn't as important in establishing the historical role of the style as Bad Boys combined with Crimson Tide was.

When it comes to the merits of Crimson Tide, it's mostly in what the score does in the film (it makes the movie what it is really, a rare case of me agreeing with Clemmensen on Hans). And also when it comes to writing proper, the choral stuff, the use of the thematic material, generally the structure and soundscape. It's artistically better.
  9. Thor wrote

I think both film and score are pure masterpieces. Nothing "guilty" about liking it at all.

Wasn't Crimson Tide a better seller, when it comes to the album? Definitely the Grammy could have helped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    I agree with Erik on Grant Kirkhope's brilliant track Fractal Aquilon from the video game score to Civilisation: Beyond Earth - Rising Tide.

It's the best track I've heard this year. FACT!

The entire score is masterful... just like their Civilization score last year! Glorious stuff. But, IMO, the Kirkhope stuff out classes them all!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Harry Gregson-Williams - The Martian
    All-in-all I think it's one of my favourite scores Harry Gregson-Williams ever wrote and it aches me it's not available on CD.

It is!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01604 … _i=desktop
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Martian

Can't stop listening to this. So much going on. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Thor wrote

Wasn't Crimson Tide a better seller, when it comes to the album? Definitely the Grammy could have helped.

Oh no, THE ROCK was far more popular -- both inside the film and as far as soundtrack sales are concerned. I also remember constantly bumping into people who were not interested in film music, but who hummed the theme when they left the theatre. Or people who mentioned it in conversations if the topic came up. Or when I asked classes or people about what film music they knew, THE ROCK was one of the first to come up. It's really a pop cultural reference point.

Of course, these days when I ask teens about their favourite film music, INCEPTION is more likely to be mentioned than THE ROCK, but back then and way into the early 2000s, THE ROCK was THE major "hit". Perhaps only comparable with TITANIC and a few years later, GLADIATOR.

CRIMSON TIDE was popular too, but in a whole other division.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I don't think the success of Titanic can be comparable to anything. I think it's still regarded as the most popular film music album ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't think the success of Titanic can be comparable to anything. I think it's still regarded as the most popular film music album ever.

For instrumental soundtracks, anyway. THE BODYGUARD is still the most-selling soundtrack. But yeah, that's in a league of its own, for a variety of reasons (Celine Dion, the film's wide appeal, the teen factor etc.). THE ROCK, however, hit a homerun with all the potential score fans.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I think I'm about the same age as you and I can honestly say that I didn't know anyone who said anything about The Rock's music. Which isn't an attempt to denigrate it (definitely a guilty pleasure of sorts for me now) - I just didn't see it make an impression on non-film music people the way you evidently did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    I think I'm about the same age as you and I can honestly say that I didn't know anyone who said anything about The Rock's music. Which isn't an attempt to denigrate it (definitely a guilty pleasure of sorts for me now) - I just didn't see it make an impression on non-film music people the way you evidently did.

I went to see the movie when it first came out with three friends who are NON-FILM MUSIC people. After the movie was over they each picked up the soundtrack. For two of them, it was their first ever score album.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015
    Southall wrote
    The Martian

Can't stop listening to this. So much going on. Love it.

It is good, though I can't say I share your enthusiasm for it - yet. Works very well in the film. (And what a film it is.)
  11. Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

I went to see the movie when it first came out with three friends who are NON-FILM MUSIC people. After the movie was over they each picked up the soundtrack. For two of them, it was their first ever score album.

-Erik-

I myself managed to get two people into film music by either recommending The Rock or just downright borrowing my own MC to them. I was one of the people for whom it was the first consciously bought soundtrack ever.

That said, the first album I bought was The Lion King. And I remember even when I was 10 I actually was returning to the score (which was a bit tedious having an MC rather than a CD at the time, hell, we didn't get a CD player for quite a while yet! My first CD was Backdraft, I still own that one and never replaced it with the reissue) more than the songs. Funny thing though...

When I was around 15 me and one of the friends who started out with me had to make a little presentation outside the music classroom at school. It was part of the curriculum of the class (music was obligatory in primary school here at the time). My first personal connections (still through dial-up!) to the internet were all about film music (I remember still in 2000... I was downloading Gladiator's The Battle cue through dial-up for a week!), and I found FilmTracks. So we did a presentation on Hans Zimmer, I think a few scores and a biography. And it was then when I for some reason pulled out my Lion King MC. Suddenly, and seriously, it escaped me for all the years, even if it was Hans Zimmer of the three who interested me when I bought The Rock and started listening... but three-four years after actually owning it, I found out that he did The Lion King. Just by looking at the credits in the booklet!

Discovering Thin Red Line was also a happy accident... I saw it in cinema only by virtue of the composer, whom I learnt scored it through Filmtracks. At 14 I had no idea whatsoever who Terrence Malick was and how important he was in cinematic history.
  12. NP: Prince of Darkness - John Carpenter & Alan Howarth

Finishing the remaining tracks I didn't have time to listen to yesterday. Glad I did; those long tracks towards the end of the complete score are excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015
    yeah

punk punk punk