• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. There is a rather famous German short story in which people drink Stella Artois. My students unusually don't even know it's beer. They are amazed then when I produce an empty bottle of that brew. (They would surely prefer if I produced several full bottles though.)
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: Critters (1993) - David Newman

This score isn't much talked about. I rather like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2015
    NP: THE GREAT HUMAN ODYSSEY (Darren Fung)

Derivative? Yes, most definitely. But nice and slick all around.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jupiter Ascending Michael Giacchino

One of his best scores, perhaps a top 3, and probably still my favourite of this year. Probably. There have been a lot of fine scores since this was released...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...including Tomorrowland and Jurassic World.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Hated all of 'em.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015
    Steven wrote
    ...including Tomorrowland

Fixed your post.

Yeah, Jupiter Ascending is one of his best. Top 5 for me behind Ratatouille, Semper Fi, MOH and SWON.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'As The Jurassic World Turns' is still my favourite cue of the year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015 edited
    The Walk Alan Silvestri

The album is perhaps a little 'incoherent' as we film music folk like to say, but there's some excellent classic Silvestri stuff to be found here. I was expecting another Flight-type minimalist score given the subject matter ('some guy wants to walk across the Twin Towers on a rope'), but this is a nice surprise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote

I just don't get the love.... and I'm even more flabbergasted by the love it gets after hearing it in the movie, where is really does absolutely nothing.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    I was expecting another Flight-type minimalist score given the subject matter ('some guy wants to walk across the Twin Towers on a rope'), but this is a nice surprise.

I was fearing the exact same thing! Glad it turned out the way it did!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

I just don't get the love.... and I'm even more flabbergasted by the love it gets after hearing it in the movie, where is really does absolutely nothing.

-Erik-

I agree, in the film it fell a little flat. I was flabbergasted too. But the music itself, it soars. It reminds me of Christopher Gordon's style. I LOVE it. Can't understand why anyone wouldn't. You haven't visited Thor in Weirdtardedville recently, have you? You can never leave once you've been there, you know...
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    It's just such a lethargic piece! And I really don't like the melody. It reminds me, AGAIN, of one of his overly simple Lost like motifs, which is just so grating.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's a flight from Weirdtardedville leaving within the next hour. If you leave Thor's house now, you may just catch it in time. (It doesn't matter if he has beer, you have crappy Guiness waiting for you in Canada! GO! NOW!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Back To The Future Alan Silvestri

My favourite Silvestri score, my favourite film and one of my favourite scores. I'd take it to the grave with me, but it's not going to be much use there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    yeah
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

-Erik-

I liked the film overall but the "introducing the Park" scenes don't remotely compare to the ones in Jurassic Park. I don't think Giacchino had a lot to work with (although I'm quite fond of "As The Jurassic World Turns").
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote
    I was expecting another Flight-type minimalist score given the subject matter ('some guy wants to walk across the Twin Towers on a rope'), but this is a nice surprise.

I was fearing the exact same thing! Glad it turned out the way it did!

-Erik-

The Walk is certainly a more substantial score, but I think I like the closing theme from Flight more than any single thing in The Walk.
  4. I know there's only 15 mins or so of score in 'Flight' but did it ever get a release of any kind on CD or digital?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I'm sure it got a digital release? Or perhaps what I have is a promo, I can't remember. It's a pretty nice score nonetheless -- a side of Silvestri we rarely hear.
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Drag Me to Hell - Christopher Young

First and last two tracks - punk

Rest of the score - sleep

I'm starting to think horror scores simply aren't for me. slant
  6. Generally they are not for me also, but there are exceptions, like the above DRAG ME TO HELL, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, PSYCHO or SLEEPY HOLLOW.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like them if they tap into 'delicious darkness', i.e. a sense of dark romanticism. Young's HELLRAISER, for example is that. DRAG ME TO HELL is not. Standard horror fare with tons of stingers and dissonant sneaking-around drones, I don't listen to.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Drag Me to Hell - Christopher Young

First and last two tracks - punk

Rest of the score - sleep

I'm starting to think horror scores simply aren't for me. slant

Good God man... did you skip over “Loose Teeth!” Those voices... grotesque and unholy. Creepy as all hell.

Fan-fucking-tastic score!!!!!!

But if it's not for you... then it's not for you. Oh well...

-Erik-
  7. I can admire the creativity of something like "Loose Teeth" but sue me if "grotesque and unholy, creepy as all hell" doesn't translate into what I'd consider a positive listening experience. Also, the first three and final minutes of that track don't do anything!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Also, the first three and final minutes of that track don't do anything for me!

Fixed!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: DEAD POETS SOCIETY (Maurice Jarre)

Great score & album from Varese. I especially love the electronic parts; I've always suspected he must have been at least partially inspired by what his son was doing at the time. Also includes great cues from WITNESS and THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ One of my favourite Jarre scores... Dead Poets that is.

Now Thor hates it!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Not really. When it comes to 80s and 90s scores, our tastes overlap quite a bit. It's only in the post-2000s, that we've seemed to take rather different paths.
    I am extremely serious.