• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015
    Southall wrote
    Pan John Powell

I can't say much about this. Not now, anyway.

Why?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Thor wrote
    Southall wrote
    Pan John Powell

I can't say much about this. Not now, anyway.

Why?

At that point I hadn't started listening to it yet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Oh.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SHY PEOPLE (Tangerine Dream)

Another personal TD favourite of mine. I'm absolutely IN LOVE with the melancholy in this one.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    The Martian - Harry G-W

Best thing he's ever written by MILES. Love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I missed the press screening of THE MARTIAN, much to my annoyance. I hope to see it the "regular way" soon -- it's bound to be one of my favourite films of the year. Good to hear that HGW delivers; I've never been a fan of his, but I'm starting to appreciate more and more of his work.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Southall wrote
    The Martian - Harry G-W

Best thing he's ever written by MILES. Love it.

Whaaaaaat? I heard some bits and pieces of it and it's very listenable (with some great textures the likes of which I don't think HGW has ever used, some Cliff Martinez stylings, but far more dynamic), but I certainly wouldn't put it anywhere near the Narnias or Sinbad or Kingdom of Heaven!
  2. Well, it's definitely not a "chockful-of-highlights" score, but it has many things that make it one of his best works.

The first of them is the marriage of synthesizers and orchestra, especially for HGW it's as best as it can get in this particular style. It's not the kind of Tony Scott sound at all (though I also have to say, I did like The Equalizer quite a bit). It just has the right amount of both.

The action music is very good, more minimalist in sound (there's even a bit of minimalism thrown in) and for once it does NOT sound like Battle of Kerak ad infinitum. That's a great point.

The textures are fun and dynamic indeed, but it's just a pleasant listen, very harmonious. Maybe not always perfectly melodic (though it has themes), it's just a very pleasant set of harmonious atmospheric music.

Sure, this score is very low-key. It's not as highlight-ridden as the first Narnia (which on the other hand ends up being quite incoherent) or Kingdom of Heaven, it is very coherent, carefully building a certain, quite unique atmosphere and has some stuff where you could say that finally the composer broke out of the mold while retaining his own voice.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2015
    Pan - John Powell

Lots of fun. Sounds like How to Train Your Dragon's less refined cousin.
  3. Did Powell include any reference to William's Hook? Not that I necessarily expect him to. Just curious.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2015
    Fort Ross - Yuri Poteyenko

This is a fine, FINE score, and RIGHT up my alley! Melodic, thematic, Romantic...harkening back to the best of the great Hollywood scores of the eighties and nineties (If I were to describe the mood of the score it would be a treasure hunt by steampunk battleships manned solely by clones of R2-D2 and C-3PO) , with a healthy Slavic dose of classical music thrown in. The expertise and knowledge just bursts from the speakers: Poteyenko -as always- REALLY knows his shit!

There isn't a dull moment here, and -at the risk of overselling- this is quite easily my favourite score of 2015 so far.
    The recording is crisp and the -well and fully used- orchestra is top notch.
    Wonderful CD!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. Martijn wrote
    Fort Ross - Yuri Poteyenko

This is a fine, FINE score, and RIGHT up my alley! Melodic, thematic, Romantic...harkening back to the best of the great Hollywood scores of the eighties and nineties (If I were to describe the mood of the score it would be a treasure hunt by steampunk battleships manned solely by clones of R2-D2 and C-3PO) , with a healthy Slavic dose of classical music thrown in. The expertise and knowledge just bursts from the speakers: Poteyenko -as always- REALLY knows his shit!

There isn't a dull moment here, and -at the risk of overselling- this is quite easily my favourite score of 2015 so far.
    The recording is crisp and the -well and fully used- orchestra is top notch.
    Wonderful CD!

It's a shame the label doesn't offer digital releases of their scores: there looks to be some good titles there but I don't really want to buy a lot of CDs.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2015 edited
    NP: Piranha - Pino Donaggio

Enjoyable strings-heavy scoring. The lighter moments remind me somewhat of the same ideas he had for Carrie a few years earlier.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  5. NP: Senior Cut Day: The Movie - Francesco De Leonardis

From 2011, kids get marooned in the forest; a forest populated by a group of deadly scavengers. Bold (synth) orchestral passages, weird sound effects, eerie vocals in a mix that sounds a tad low budget with the quality of the audio on show.

A very enjoyable journey.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    Did Powell include any reference to William's Hook? Not that I necessarily expect him to. Just curious.

Volker

If there is one, I didn't recognize it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2015
    Sicario Jóhann Jóhannsson

Perfect album for a sunny Sunday afternoon.
  6. NP: Skinwalkers - Andrew Lockington

Really like this one. Has the usual horror score ideas (orchestral power, soundscapes, stingers, etc) but it is also surprisingly tender and melodic also. A nice balance between the two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2015
    Pan Powell

The album is, perhaps, a little disjointed (which might be another way of saying it doesn't hold up entirely). But there's some classic Powell material here. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Skinwalkers - Andrew Lockington

Really like this one. Has the usual horror score ideas (orchestral power, soundscapes, stingers, etc) but it is also surprisingly tender and melodic also. A nice balance between the two.

It might just very well be the best score he's written.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. yeah

I like his City of Ember too, but it's not really a patch on this one. Not having listened to it for ages, I was surprised just how tender Skinwalkers actually is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

-Erik-

I haven't heard it, but I doubt it sounds like something I'd put above Journey 2. One of my favourite scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    And I don't like Journey 2 as much as you do. Skinwalkers, IMO, has more substance.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  8. NP: Smile - Federico Landini

Score from 2009 for a film that has some parallels with The Ring:

"Several students on a school holiday discover a mysterious camera, but after several of them start showing up dead after having their picture taken..."

Creepy vocals, scratchy SFX and orchestra coupled with Middle Eastern orchestrations combine for an above-average chiller.
  9. Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

-Erik-

It's by far my least favorite Lockington score! There's some good material but it's not a patch on his adventure scores, not even close.

But right...horror. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Weirdtardedland has a new resident!

-Erik-
  10. So I prefer big thematic adventure scores over a stingers and dissonance-fest...and I'm the weird one? OK. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    ^ Weirdtardedland has a new resident!

-Erik-

A new resident is fine as long as I remain the P-resident.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Can I ask for asylum and refugee status in Weirdtardedland?
    Things seem to make a whole lot of sense there!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

-Erik-

WOW!?

I gave it a listen yesterday and was very underwhelmed. It's listenable and at times melodic but it quickly becomes the same old same old. I started to feel listless sitting through this which I barely made my way through.

SIDDHARTH is my favourite score of his but then I am a sucker for Indian sounds.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  11. Siddharth has some nice moments but I find that one pretty dull as well! It's weird how nobody seems to agree on Lockington. I wouldn't think he'd be so divisive. dizzy