• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: House of Frankenstein - Don Davis

Such a good score. Great use of orchestra - lots of power but tender too when needed. And those choral parts!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. NP: Silent Night - Kevin Riepl

Competent score for this Christmas slasher movie (artwork shows a flamethrower-wielding Santa). Varied and interesting, Riepl uses most of the tricks in the book to good effect.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. NP: The Dunwich Horror - Les Baxter

Good score this one. But its style reminded me a lot of Ron Grainer's The Omega Man.
  4. NP: Bait 3D - Joe Ng & Alex Oh

When I first saw this title released I'd assumed it was the usual soundscape shocker score. But, in fact, it's a very good orchestra-based score with lots of good melodic tracks.
  5. NP: The Final Destination - Brian Tyler

There are a number of great set-piece tracks but the relentless bombast does wear me down after a while. Although I don't like Tyler's arrangement in the opening cue of Shirley Walker's original theme, the more low-key, low-strings renditions are always welcome.
  6. That's always been one of the Tyler scores that blends into the background for me. Not his most inspired work, although props to him for bothering to incorporate Walker's theme so pervasively. His score for the fifth one is even worse, and that one only uses the Walker theme once if I recall correctly.
  7. NP: Civilization: Beyond Earth: Rising Tide: Colon Cancer - Geoff Knorr, Grant Kirkhope and that ambient guy

This is just as good as last year's! "Tide Hunter"...holy CRAP! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    NP: Civilization: Beyond Earth: Rising Tide: Colon Cancer - Geoff Knorr, Grant Kirkhope and that ambient guy

This is just as good as last year's! "Tide Hunter"...holy CRAP! shocked

Last year's score was good, but I received about 4645 minutes from it. I've been meaning to boil it down to a proper 70-minute release (I think this could sustain it), but it's too much work, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. It would need to include both the orchestral and some of the ambient, electronic textures.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. This one's just a lean 2 hours, Thor. You'll LOVE it. biggrin
  9. Thor wrote
    Last year's score was good, but I received about 4645 minutes from it. I've been meaning to boil it down to a proper 70-minute release (I think this could sustain it), but it's too much work, so I haven't gotten around to it yet. It would need to include both the orchestral and some of the ambient, electronic textures.

This has none of the ambient 'music' which does absolutely zip for me, I put this playlist together, and it's all I need. (around 74 minutes).

01. The Seeding
    05. Beauty in the Eye of the Orbiter
    06. Destroyer
    22. Solar Collector
    25. Xeno Titan
    26. The Signal
    28. Deep Memory
    08. Lux Perpetua
    11. Our New World
    14. Acclimation
    34. Earth's Ambassadors
    35. O Muse
    37. Deep Space
    39. Xenomancer
    15. Promethean
    19. A New Beginning
    42. The Future of Mankind
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Pan John Powell

There are a few tracks that could do with some trimming and cutting, but on the whole this is just a joy to listen to. Not his most original score, and certainly not up there with his incredible score from last year, but it's still the Powell most of us love.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Rebecca - C Gunning

Very beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    Rebecca - C Gunning

Very beautiful.

Does it have music set to car chases and explosions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Oh yes. It's a bit like The Matrix Revolutions crossed with Demolition Man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Good lord. You may have just described my perfect score.
  10. Steven wrote
    Pan John Powell

There are a few tracks that could do with some trimming and cutting, but on the whole this is just a joy to listen to. Not his most original score, and certainly not up there with his incredible score from last year, but it's still the Powell most of us love.

Yeah, I agree with this. I think the biggest problem with the score is that its themes are not defined quite clearly enough. It's not that the score is unfocused - far from it - but the themes never get presented in as straightforward a way as you hear in the How to Train Your Dragon scores, and some of them are quite elusive.

Curious as to what you would cut, though (other than the songs, obviously) - the album seems pretty consistently entertaining to me!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015 edited
    Yeah, the songs and the chanting tracks. Perhaps some other bits here and there, but it's mostly excellent. There's definitely a better album hiding in amongst the 70 minutes.
  11. NP: Altered States - John Corigliano

Very unsettling to listen to but always interesting.
  12. NP: The Fly - Howard Shore

Still one of my favourite scores. I think that a chronological release of this would offer a different listening experience from the already-available album. Obviously, the chronological order of the tracks would reflect the story but I like hearing the descent into the dark material that the ordered sequence provides.
  13. NP: Halloween II - John Carpenter & Alan Howarth

One of the strong things about this second score is that the original themes (and tracks even) are just lifted for this second score and just given a synth remake. As the films came (and went) the scores became less interesting as the use of the standard soundscape horror scoring increased and the themes decreased.

I have left off the ill-judged suites for another time.
  14. NP: Stake Land - Jeff Grace

Jeff Grace isn't mentioned much - which is a shame, because he puts out some great scores. I like this one...great themes, touching and tender passages and interesting action scoring.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Altered States - John Corigliano

Very unsettling to listen to but always interesting.

I love this score!

FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Fly - Howard Shore

...and this one!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote
    Rebecca - C Gunning

Very beautiful.

Does it have music set to car chases and explosions?

Southall wrote
    Oh yes. It's a bit like The Matrix Revolutions crossed with Demolition Man.

Steven wrote
    Good lord. You may have just described my perfect score.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! That was the sound of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ passing through my body.

Count me IN Brother!!!!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Pan - John Powell

Great fun!

punk

EDIT: Just finished listening to this for the first time. Superb!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    NP: Gamba - Benjamin Wallfisch

First listen... I'm really pumped for this one.

EDIT - Oooooooooh.... and there's Lee Holdridge's The Beastmaster. shocked

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015
    Ok, The Beastmaster theme in Gamba really annoyed me. So, I've moved onto...

NP: The Martian - Harry Gregson-Williams

Meh so far...

-Erik-
  15. And the Beastmaster is really the Galactica theme ...
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: BRØRNE LØVEHJARTE (Eirik Myhr)

Stageplay music for THE BROTHERS LIONHEART (based on the famous Astrid Lindgren book), by my good friend Eirik. Haunting, reflective and beautiful for small ensemble. Hardly an action track (although some suspense).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote
    Ok, The Beastmaster theme in Gamba really annoyed me. So, I've moved onto...

NP: The Martian - Harry Gregson-Williams

Meh so far...

-Erik-

It put me to sleep. It livens up a tad in the second half but not enough to really make a big difference.
  16. Captain Future wrote
    And the Beastmaster is really the Galactica theme ...

You beat me to it...