• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Thor wrote
    NP: DEAD POETS SOCIETY (Maurice Jarre)

Great score & album from Varese. I especially love the electronic parts; I've always suspected he must have been at least partially inspired by what his son was doing at the time. Also includes great cues from WITNESS and THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY.

One of my all time favourite scores. It's on Milan though. wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015
    I have this Varese version:

http://img.soundtrackcollector.com/cd/l … SD5270.jpg

Seems to be the same content as the Milan?
    I am extremely serious.
  2. That's interesting. It's the same indeed. Mine is Milan CD CH 558. Did Varese release it over in America? Such things happen, don't they? (Jupiter Ascending for example.)

Correction: Mosquito Coast and Witness is not on the Milan album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    There is no MOSQUITO COAST on my album. Only DEAD POETS, WITNESS and THE YEAR.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: CINDERELLA (Patrick Doyle)

One of the year's best and most elegant, but the album could have used some trimming. Especially the waltz and polka stuff in the middle.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor wrote
    There is no MOSQUITO COAST on my album. Only DEAD POETS, WITNESS and THE YEAR.

???
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry, you're right. My bad. Seems like I edited out the MOSQUITO track when I transferred to iTunes, for whatever reason.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    NP: CINDERELLA (Patrick Doyle)

One of the year's best and most elegant, but the album could have used some trimming. Especially the waltz and polka stuff in the middle.

Just uncheck them in iTunes and viola!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. Goodness Erik, don't you know you need to be a professional to do that? It is a matter of one click after all!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry, not taking the bait.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Goodness Erik, don't you know you need to be a professional to do that? It is a matter of one click after all!

lol
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. NP: Christine - John Carpenter

A Carpenter score that tends to be overlooked but I really like this one. I think the palette of synths really brings out the sadness of the story.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. A.I. Williams

I've been really enjoying this new LaLa Land release the last few months, a score that really benefits from the expansion, it's a masterpiece really. I recently read an interview with John Mauceri where he thought it was the best piece of music in many years, must dig up the exact quote.
  7. Here's the quote:

'But the work from the past 50 years that I return to with ever increasing admiration and affection is John Williams’s score to AI from 2001. If the soundtrack album could be reconstructed into a single orchestral work and called something like “A Symphony of Stored Memories”, it would be programmed by orchestras throughout the world and be a standard addition to the repertory.'

The interview is at:
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/a … hn-mauceri
  8. NP: The Haunting - Jerry Goldsmith

I can't remember the last time I listened to this one, so I can't remember what to expect. So far, it's carousel waltzes (which I can't stand) and the hints of some Goldsmith synths.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2015
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: The Haunting - Jerry Goldsmith

I can't remember the last time I listened to this one, so I can't remember what to expect. So far, it's carousel waltzes (which I can't stand) and the hints of some Goldsmith synths.

Don't like it and the film is shit too.

Robert Wise and Humphrey Searle for the win!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2015 edited
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I quite like it. There's many references to his other works - which I find comforting rather than annoying - but I prefer it when he is low-key in this one rather than bombastic: the recording sounds a bit too "open" and the quieter parts don't advertise that so much. Never seen the film.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Admittedly it is a long time since I listened to it but I remember there wasn't much to want me to return. As for the film there were bits that caught my ear not on the album but I wouldn't want to put myself through that crap film again just to hear the score.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. NP: Deadgirl - Joseph Bauer

Quite a delicate score this one to begin with. Not so much in horror territory early on but I can hear how it could suddenly deteriorate!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Chambers wrote
    A.I. Williams

I've been really enjoying this new LaLa Land release the last few months, a score that really benefits from the expansion, it's a masterpiece really. I recently read an interview with John Mauceri where he thought it was the best piece of music in many years, must dig up the exact quote.

Great score that is already perfect in its original release. Quite conversely, the expansion deletes much of its power. But you knew I would say that! wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

I quite like it. There's many references to his other works - which I find comforting rather than annoying - but I prefer it when he is low-key in this one rather than bombastic: the recording sounds a bit too "open" and the quieter parts don't advertise that so much. Never seen the film.

I love this and think it's his single most underrated work (in that I think it's so much better than most people do). And I think that cavernous recording aspect is clever and impressive.
  10. A lot of Goldsmith's scores from that period have that same massive, booming-sounding recording. The Mummy and The 13th Warrior as well. I think they all sound fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Me too. THE MUMMY is my alltime favourite Goldsmith album.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Homeward Bound Broughton

That main theme is just sooo good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: FORBIDDEN WARRIOR - MIKE VERTA

A proper good score with themes and everything. Influences of Williams, Horner and Silvestri abound - a great listen.

cool
  12. NP: House of Wax - John Ottman

I quite like this seemingly forgotten score. The opening certainly grabs the attention: "Ritual/Escape From Church" is excellent. The remainder has enough inventiveness for it remain interesting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015 edited
    NP: The Purge - Nathan Whitehead

Packed full of soundscape and textural ideas with the occasional diversion into more melodic/rhythmic material. It's not bad, just rather uninteresting so far.
  13. NP: The Wicker Man - Angelo Badalamenti

This is a surprisingly good album. Love the string writing. Less of a horror score, more one that has an undercurrent of dread running through it. Perhaps it will become out-and-out menacing towards the end?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015
    NP: MIRACLE MILE (Tangerine Dream)

Great film, even greater score. I've never quite rid myself of the TD fever I got after Edgar's passing and my own radio show on them a few months ago. A lovely re-discovery of their catalogue.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015
    Pan John Powell

I can't say much about this. Not now, anyway.