• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. John Chambers wrote
    John Chambers wrote
    Sodom and Gomorrah Rozsa

It's been a relaxed music filled Saturday so far. I had 3 packages with a new cd in each arrive this morning and I've saved this new recording for last. Amazing music in stunning sound, I can't recommend it enough.

This is absolutely brilliant! I'd never even heard of the film until this recording, this is going to get a lot of plays.

I can't wait for this to arrive! So stoked!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2015
    John Chambers wrote
    The Walk Silvestri

First listen, interesting so far, shifts between typical Alan Silvestri emotional music, Jazzy and very, very French! 'Two Loves' is beautiful.

Hmm? Okay!

NP : THE WALK - Alan Silvestri

First listen...
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2015
    :like: cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Those final two tracks were my favorites. I look forward to the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2015 edited
    The Walk is a damn fine score actually. Another excellent effort from one of the best years of new film music in recent memory. An embarrassment of riches this year... except for Thor.

Oh ya... fantastic recording by Dennis Sands!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2015
    It's very good indeed, quite a surprise. So good in fact, I'm sure Thor won't like it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    An embarrassment of riches this year... except for Thor.

Doyle's score came out some years ago now.

It's been a long time since I got my coat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    We've kept it on ice for just this occasion.

Tomorrowland Michael Giacchino

After having seen the film, which I greatly enjoyed, the phrase 'fucking nailed it' comes to mind in regards to the score. (Giacchino even had a cameo.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    ^ Going to watch this one in about 5 minutes! Looking forward to it!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The film is a let down but the music is sublime.
  3. Cocoon: James Horner

This made me fucking cry, grand emotional music.
    Is it so hard to compose something like this for today's films?
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  4. I think it would be, because of the change of film aesthetics: no traditional main title sequences, fast cutting...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Josh B wrote
    The film is a let down but the music is sublime.

Man, that 7 note main theme got soooooo annoying as the film went on, didn't it? Almost zero variation. The rest of it was fine but MAN! On the positive side "Pin-Ultimate Experience" is still one of the finest cues written this year and works so bloody well in context!

-Erik-
  5. Is the theme you're referring to the (for lack of a better term) Last Crusade one? Because yeah, I don't much like that theme. It feels overly simple for what it's trying to achieve (which seems to be an 80s-film-music vibe). The other themes from Tomorrowland I enjoy, even if "Pin-Ultimate Experience" basically only has two chords in it (and is derivative of Tilton's SimCity), but the Last Crusade one grates on me a bit and I can't quite figure out why exactly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Is the theme you're referring to the (for lack of a better term) Last Crusade one? Because yeah, I don't much like that theme. It feels overly simple for what it's trying to achieve (which seems to be an 80s-film-music vibe).

Yup. That's it!

Edmund Meinerts wroteThe other themes from Tomorrowland I enjoy, even if "Pin-Ultimate Experience" basically only has two chords in it (and is derivative of Tilton's SimCity), but the Last Crusade one grates on me a bit and I can't quite figure out why exactly.

I don't mind that it's only two chords. What he does around those two chord is outstanding... even though it is inspired.... well, let say exactly what it is... a knock-off of Tilton's SimCity music.

In any case, it's still a rock solid score.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Is the theme you're referring to the (for lack of a better term) Last Crusade one? Because yeah, I don't much like that theme. It feels overly simple for what it's trying to achieve (which seems to be an 80s-film-music vibe). The other themes from Tomorrowland I enjoy, even if "Pin-Ultimate Experience" basically only has two chords in it (and is derivative of Tilton's SimCity), but the Last Crusade one grates on me a bit and I can't quite figure out why exactly.

Yeah, a good chunk of the fascination of that cue is that ordinarily, I'd be bored to death of music constructed out an endless two-chord progression but Giacchino maintains interest. I'm not entirely sure how. I may have to analyze it tonight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or you could, you know, just enjoy it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    how to kill something stone dead...

#1 analyse comedy
    #2 analyse music
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I don't mind analyzing music to better understand why a composer wrote a piece of music the way he/she did. But I usually leave that to scores I care about deeply.

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015 edited
    Nope, sorry guys. I was a music major and analyzing is built into my DNA. I appreciate music more when I understand how it was constructed.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Don't worry, this was partly said tongue in cheek wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS - John Barry

I'm trying to stay awake long enough to see the blood moon, struggling a bit, just over an hour to go.

And yes, it's a very clear sky.
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Timmer wrote

Well, you're not entirely wrong. I definitely think it's possible to overanalyze something, to imprint meaning onto it that isn't necessary there.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Josh B wrote
    Timmer wrote

Well, you're not entirely wrong. I definitely think it's possible to overanalyze something, to imprint meaning onto it that isn't necessary there.

Very true. Particularly classical and pop are full of dismissing comments from composers of said pieces to writers who've claimed works were about, predicted, meant ...whatever.

Forgive me, I'm very drunk and trying to stsay up, hope I made sense?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    It's all getting cosmic...

NP : THE BLACK HOLE - John Barry

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    The Walk is a damn fine score actually. Another excellent effort from one of the best years of new film music in recent memory. An embarrassment of riches this year... except for Thor.

Oh, it's been an OK year so far. But I suspect there will be VERY little overlap in terms of titles when we both sum up 2015 in our respective radio shows at the end of the year.

I've only listened to 30-second samples of THE WALK so far, and they were OK. I'll wait untill I've heard the whole thing to comment further.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote

I'm trying to stay awake long enough to see the blood moon, struggling a bit, just over an hour to go.

Didn't see the blood moon, but you should have played Williams' gorgeous "Blood Moon" fugue from IMAGES!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Josh B wrote
    Nope, sorry guys. I was a music major and analyzing is built into my DNA. I appreciate music more when I understand how it was constructed.

Deconstructing music is all well and good, but enjoyment comes from the sum of its parts, like standing back from a painting to see the full image rather than the brush strokes. I balk at the idea of turning over that rock in order to appreciate it more, despite my scientific approach to most other things.
  6. As with all things, there's a happy medium to be found. A little analysis can greatly increase my appreciation for a given piece of music, but it can certainly be taken too far.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Timmer wrote

Didn't see the blood moon, but you should have played Williams' gorgeous "Blood Moon" fugue from IMAGES!

I had JB's THE BLACK HOLE on by the time the blood moon was showing, his dark and moody score was perfect.