• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. NP: Young Sherlock Holmes (1985) - Bruce Broughton

Great TV scoring!
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2015
    Great film scoring.
  2. Yeah, right!
  3. NP: How the West Was Lost (1993) - Peter Kater; Carlos Nakai

A mixture of electronics, natural instruments and vocals. I had this album since it was released. I forgot how very good it is.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2015
    Captain Future wrote
    EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Aaaahhhh. Cybermen vs. Daleks.
    The single most excellent confrontation in the rebooted Doctor Who series.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. applause yeah, that was a great scene.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2015
    That's a lot of sass for a robot with a toilet plunger and whisk for arms.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    He, he.....Daleks are cute.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor wrote
    He, he.....Daleks are cute.

Awwww! love
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Everything is made cute in knitted form.

...except facehuggers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2015
    NP: EVEREST (Dario Marianelli)

Well, that was an anti-climax. Given the subject matter and the composer, I had expected something far more exciting. Instead, it's another display of ostinato and riffs and other contemporary tropes.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    NP: EVEREST (Dario Marianelli)

Well, that was an anti-climax. Given the subject matter and the composer, I had expected something far more exciting. Instead, it's another display of ostinato and riffs and other contemporary tropes.

I've only heard a little. I'm seeing the film later today.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I had a feeling this was a film up your alley. Looking forward to seeing it too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2015
    The Wind and the Lion Jerry Goldsmith

Perfect music of killing infidels. (And when you're making a clock that looks like a bomb.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But seriously, this is incredible music. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Faxk off
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Faxing is so 90s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    JP JW

Couldn't resist. One of the best things ever done by a person ever.

love
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    An American Tail - James Horner

Listened to it once and mostly liked it but felt the songs were annoying and got in the way. Listening to it a second time with the songs removed and loving it.
  5. NP: Beautiful Hollywood (1997)
    Erich Kunzel & The Cincinnati Pops

Truly beautiful. I miss Erich.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2015
    ^^ Did you ever give Telarc's Superheroes a spin? The album features the Cincinnati Pops new conductor John Morris Russell but for some reason Kunzel's energy and passion is missing from some of the performances. The recording is a bit muddy as well but it's good to see The Cincinnati Pops still releasing film music themed albums after Kunzel's passing.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2015
    Sicario Jóhann Jóhannsson

Very dark (and that's an understatement). I can imagine this working great in the film, which I'm looking forward to seeing. I like it!
  6. Erik Woods wrote
    ^^ Did you ever give Telarc's Superheroes a spin? The album features the Cincinnati Pops new conductor John Morris Russell but for some reason Kunzel's energy and passion is missing from some of the performances. The recording is a bit muddy as well but it's good to see The Cincinnati Pops still releasing film music themed albums after Kunzel's passing.

-Erik-

No, I didn't. But now I will. Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2015

Very sad we'll never hear the sequel scores (will Cameron still go ahead with the sequels?), but at least it makes this score that more precious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2015 edited
    Steven wrote

Very sad we'll never hear the sequel scores (will Cameron still go ahead with the sequels?), but at least it makes this score that more precious.

Unless Horner pulled a 'pre-composed ideas' thingie that he did for that upcoming MAGNIFICENT SEVEN reboot by Antoine Fuqua. Doubt it, though, but it would be a tremdendously positive surprise if he had, and whoever the new composer is could integrate that in his score.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2015
    NP: BOMBAY (A.R. Rahman)

One of his best -- both film and score. He really excels with Mani Ratnam.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2015
    Steven wrote

Watched this wonderful film for only the second time this past weekend! Horner's score is almost perfect. The four note danger motif sucks!

As for the sequels. I think Christopher Young is a perfect replacement. His music is very much influenced by Horner. And he knows how to write large scale adventure music. Just reference The Monkey King!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Erik Woods wrote
    Steven wrote

Watched this wonderful film for only the second time this past weekend! Horner's score is almost perfect. The four note danger motif sucks!

As for the sequels. I think Christopher Young is a perfect replacement. His music is very much influenced by Horner. And he knows how to write large scale adventure music. Just reference The Monkey King!

-Erik-

Young would be a wonderful choice. I was listening to Maleficent the other day and also thought how JNH in this inspired mode would be great too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Definitely JNH moreso than Young.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm with Thor on this one: JNH would be great, particularly as there are sections of Horner's music which remind me of JNH (mostly the percussion in War I think). If he could bring his Shyamalan style to it, I think he would nail it.

(I pray to Eywa that Young doesn't get the gig.)