• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015
    Star Wars - Attack of the Clones - John Williams

Years of crappy action scores have made me realize I largely took this score for granted. Even some of the more rote action cues (like "Bounty Hunters Pursuit") sound like a breath of fresh air.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    NP: THE PERFECT STORM (James Horner)

It's not fantastic

I agree, not fantastic, FUCKING fantastic is more like it!

Well, I'm glad some of you like it that much. I'm FAR from that level of enthusiasm (too much other Horner gold that blows this out of the water, if you'll excuse the pun). It's fine. No more, no less. I have spoken.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Yojimbo - Masaru Satô

One of the catchiest opening title themes around:

https://youtu.be/JjsAKbJcMAc

Excellent!
    I really need to watch that film again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Me too. If I remember right A Fistful of Dollars was a Western remake of this.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015 edited
    Almost shot-by-shot (especially in the first half; although the dog walking out past the 'lone rider' in the opening shots is QUITE a bit grimmer in Yoyimbo).
    And yet both films are VERY different and exceedingly worthwhile.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015 edited
    Josh B wrote

Years of crappy action scores have made me realize I largely took this score for granted. Even some of the more rote action cues (like "Bounty Hunters Pursuit") sound like a breath of fresh air.

My least fav Star Wars by a mile with some of the most ordinary and deathly boring action music Williams has ever written... not including The Coruscant Chase and The Arena. But The Asteroid Field cue and the Obi Wan vs. Jango cues are Zzzzzzzzzz... and there's just a lot of dead cues during the middle portions of the album. Lots of pointless wallpaper.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  1. NP: In Session - A Film Music Celebration (2001) - Various

Thanks, John and Erik, for this recommendation. This is indeed a stellar compilation. What intrigues me is that they didn't add main theme after main theme but looked for highlights in the entire scores. This sets this album apart from your mainstream Best-of-Hollywood compilations. It's really for the connoisseur.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: You Only Live Twice - John Barry

This version I am listening to at the moment is my own chronological order version. I remember one of the first things I did when the expanded versions of these scores were released was to refer back to the old FSM magazine articles that deconstructed the music into chronological order.

So, I took all the new long tracks and cut them all up into their film cues and then inserted them into the correct place and, voila! I remember having loads of fun doing all this. It makes the score seem a whole new beast when compared with the more familiar original release.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2015
    Erik Woods wrote
    Josh B wrote

My least fav Star Wars by a mile with some of the most ordinary and deathly boring action music Williams has ever written... not including The Coruscant Chase and The Arena. But The Asteroid Field cue and the Obi Wan vs. Jango cues are Zzzzzzzzzz... and there's just a lot of dead cues during the middle portions of the album. Lots of pointless wallpaper.

-Erik-

Just like the movie. :p I listened to Revenge of the Sith right after and was even more impressed. Williams really nailed that score.
  3. JP: How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014) - John Powell

NP: Eragon (2006) - Patrick Doyle

Two excellent fantasy scores!

smile Volker
  4. NP: Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010) - Christophe Beck

This one is also really good but not quite as good as the two mentioned above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2015
    Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Just brilliant, up with the best music ever written for television.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2015
    ^
    Completely agree. It'a beautiful piece of work.
  5. Southall wrote
    Band of Brothers - Michael Kamen

Just brilliant, up with the best music ever written for television.

It's in my top 10 TV scores. Those suites, in particular, are just wonderful from start to finish.

NP - Erik's latest Cinematic Sound show.

I always like to hear what I've missed smile
  6. NP: Razion - Andre Neumann

No idea whether this is psytrance music or not - it's not my usual go-to genre of music. But, it's certainly catchy and very enjoyable.

Thor, you were the first person I thought of who may enjoy this. You can listen to the whole album here:

http://andreneumann.bandcamp.com/album/ … soundtrack

His score for the game DUX 1.5 isn't half bad too.

The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2015
    Razion really is VERY retro in places (reminding me far too often of early 90s DJ house party "fills" -electronic 'breaks' between records-.
    Not bad, overall, but 8 Euros to spend on it is a bit much, I feel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    NP: Razion - Andre Neumann

No idea whether this is psytrance music or not - it's not my usual go-to genre of music. But, it's certainly catchy and very enjoyable.

Thor, you were the first person I thought of who may enjoy this. You can listen to the whole album here:

His score for the game DUX 1.5 isn't half bad too.

Thanks, there's a lot of fine stuff here. The only elements of psytrance here appear in the single track that is clearly intended to channel it -- otherwise, there's a lot of other retro EDM things he's trying to do, some successfully, some not so much.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Ted Walter Murphy / Various

A lovely album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2015
    christopher wrote
    NP - Erik's latest Cinematic Sound show.

I always like to hear what I've missed smile

beer punk
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2015 edited
    NP: MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: ROGUE NATION (Joe Kraemer)

This turned out to be my final listening. I tried it again, came halfway through, but then gave up and deleted it. Incredibly tiring stuff. But I'm looking forward to seeing the movie!

DAWN PATROL will remain my Kraemer highlight of the year, 10 times more appealing than this.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. I think it's brilliant, you just inspired me to listen to it right now! The action material is brilliant but I love the Puccini quotes too, the way in which he plays the Mission: Impossible theme immediately after makes it and the Turandot feel like one one cohesive love theme, the orchestration is brilliant!
  8. NP: The Genius of Film Music Hollywood blockbusters 1960s to 1980s (2015)
    The London Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by John Mauceri

Recorded live at the Royal Festival Hall, London and released on the orchestra's own label.

There is nothing here that the experienced collector of film music won't know already. What this makes appealing to me are the suites from CLEOPATRA (North) and MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY (Kaper). Also performance and sound are great. So this is a nice concert album.

smile Volker
  9. I picked this up recently, nice album.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    John Chambers wrote
    I think it's brilliant, you just inspired me to listen to it right now! The action material is brilliant but I love the Puccini quotes too, the way in which he plays the Mission: Impossible theme immediately after makes it and the Turandot feel like one one cohesive love theme, the orchestration is brilliant!

I can see it working in the film, and it's certainly not on my list of 'worst scores of the year' or anything. But it's simply not my cuppa tea.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote

This turned out to be my final listening. I tried it again, came halfway through, but then gave up and deleted it. Incredibly tiring stuff. But I'm looking forward to seeing the movie!

DAWN PATROL will remain my Kraemer highlight of the year, 10 times more appealing than this.

suicide
  10. Thor wrote

face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2015 edited
    John Chambers wrote
    I think it's brilliant, you just inspired me to listen to it right now! The action material is brilliant but I love the Puccini quotes too, the way in which he plays the Mission: Impossible theme immediately after makes it and the Turandot feel like one one cohesive love theme, the orchestration is brilliant!

Only a weirdtarded person would think this score is no good and delete it.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    DELETE! DELETE!

"Weirdtarded and proud of it!".
    I am extremely serious.
  11. EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MR. HOLMES (Carter Burwell)

Not spectacular, but a nice return to the Burwell that I love. Ethnic instruments, nice melodies and all around classy chamber music.
    I am extremely serious.