• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. "Bioluminescence of the Night" or whatever from the first score is already a dead ringer for JNH in Waterworld/Atlantis mode, so yeah, on the basis of that alone I think he'd be a solid pick for upcoming Avatars.

Not that there's anything wrong with Young either...although the odds of him actually doing it are pretty slim I fear. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2015
    Steven wrote

(I pray to Eywa that Young doesn't get the gig.)

Nothing wrong with Young, nothing at all!

There are a lot of composers out there you wouldn't want to have the job, concentrate your praying on those.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. NP: Gladiator (2000) - Hans Zimmer; Lisa Gerrard

This score didn't age well in my opinion. Firstly I have grown tired of the general style and secondly, if I want to hear The Planets and Götterdämmerung I don't turn to Zimmer aping Holst and Wagner. On the other Hand "Elysium" by Gerrard and Badelt never fails to get to me.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2015 edited
    I think it has aged splendidly. Just because multiple scores have copied its style since -- being such a benchmark score -- doesn't mean the "original" is any less. And yes, there are influences, but the way he weaves all of that together with his own sound is just mindblowing.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. The whole Holst thing is blown titanically out of proportion anyway. Hans is hardly the first to look there for inspiration and he wasn't the last either, or the worst.

Besides...it's kind of appropriate. Mars, Roman god of warfare for Roman battles and all that.
  4. Yes, but what Williams did in "Jedi" was much more elegant and subtle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Where's all this hate for Christopher Young coming from. Young has more stylistic similarities to Horner than James Newton Howard does.

BTW, I've got a BAD feeling this is going to Brad Fiedel. I think Thor just jizzed in his pants!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  5. I'd certainly be fine with Young.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha....I seriously doubt Fiedel is getting back to the Cameron universe (or, in fact, any film scoring universe). If anything, Silvestri is a more likely candidate among the Cameron composers, despite the difficulties on THE ABYSS.

I am a huge fan of Chris Young, and I have no doubt he would deliver something solid for an AVATAR film. He's very versatile. Still, he's not even CLOSE to being as comfortable with the AVATAR-like stylings that JNH has explored on multiple occasions. There is hardly any other composer today that so elegantly weaves electronics and orchestra in 'magical' and/or world music settings. Must be JNH's rock background seeping into things.
    I am extremely serious.
  6. NP: Thelma and Louise (1991) - Hans Zimmer

I love Zimmer in this mode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Ha, ha....I seriously doubt Fiedel is getting back to the Cameron universe (or, in fact, any film scoring universe). If anything, Silvestri is a more likely candidate among the Cameron composers, despite the difficulties on THE ABYSS.

I am a huge fan of Chris Young, and I have no doubt he would deliver something solid for an AVATAR film. He's very versatile. Still, he's not even CLOSE to being as comfortable with the AVATAR-like stylings that JNH has explored on multiple occasions. There is hardly any other composer today that so elegantly weaves electronics and orchestra in 'magical' and/or world music settings. Must be JNH's rock background seeping into things.

Young could do the same easily. He's just a versatile.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Captain Future wrote
    Yes, but what Williams did in "Jedi" was much more elegant and subtle.

Hmm...not much subtle about "Rebel Blockade Runner"! wink
  8. biggrin

It just occurred to me that Thelma and Louise sounds like Dire Straits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

Maybe, but it's not just about versatility. It's also about a particular sound you've specialized yourself in.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    biggrin

It just occurred to me that Thelma and Louise sounds like Dire Straits.

More like David Gilmour -- especially the lofty, bluesy el guitars. Some of the tracks could be outtakes from any of his solo albums.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Well. Gilmour and Knopfler aren't that far apart. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    True.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

-Erik-

Just not Zimmer, pleeeeeaase....

I would support a Howard score. Seems like the sort of project that would really let him stretch his legs. Whoever it is, I just hope Horner's themes will be reprised - not just for continuity, but in honour!

NP: AVATAR - JAMES HORNER

Well, if it sounds anywhere near as good as this, I'll be satisfied.

cool
  10. Actually, if Zimmer can tap back into the atmosphere of Beyond Rangoon for the mystical drama stuff, I wouldn't be entirely against him tackling an Avatar sequel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Me neither. But there's gotta be ONE big extravaganza franchise not scored by Zimmer or Zimmer soundalikes. So I'd take quite a few other alternatives before him.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. yeah - which is why I said I wouldn't be entirely against, not that I'd be for him. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Maybe, but it's not just about versatility. It's also about a particular sound you've specialized yourself in.

Young can pretty much do it all and do it all extremely well.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

There is; I don't like his music. Try as I have, it doesn't connect with me at all. Thankfully, Young's about as likely to score an Avatar sequel as Horner is... as far as I can tell.
  12. I think this would be Don Davis territory, what with his experience and having worked (and ghosted on one score) for Horner before.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  13. Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

There is; I don't like his music. Try as I have, it doesn't connect with me at all. Thankfully, Young's about as likely to score an Avatar sequel as Horner is... as far as I can tell.

How unfortunate for you! sad

^ I do mean that seriously, by the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

yeah
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I don't like his music.

I'm surprised there is nothing that has touched you or caught your ear? If you don't like him there's nothing anyone else can do or say to change your opinion.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    There is; I don't like his music. .

As I very rarely subject myself to his music, your concern is appreciated but unneeded. [/meow]

I'm with Justin's choice. A GREAT choice.

Don Davis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    I don't like his music.

I'm surprised there is nothing that has touched you or caught your ear? If you don't like him there's nothing anyone else can do or say to change your opinion.

Folk rave about The Core, The Monkey King, The Shipping News, Hellraiser, Drag Me To Hell, Ghost Rider, Priest. None of those have moved me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fair do mate! apart from a few "iffy" choices your taste is mostly top notch.