• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2015
    biggrin

I am being a tad contentious on the matter, admittedly. But in all seriousness, Young's music leaves me cold. I know what's I likes, and I don't likes Young. (That could be read out of context.)
  1. I have to give The Core another spin. I always found it very noisy and unrelenting. Anyway, I'm not terribly familiar with Young's work. Ghost Rider is a favourite of mine and Drag Me To Hell I think is outstanding.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. NP: The Core (2003) - Christopher Young

Let's see ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Godspeed.
  3. Thanks. I believe a 60 minutes arrangement of this material would serve me better.
  4. I really like The Core (a recent discovery of mine), and it sustains its considerable length very well indeed with little redundant or inferior material...but yeah, it's a lot of very thick orchestral music all at once, which I understand is a turn-off for some (not me! lick ). "Mantle Passage" is a particularly excellent action cue in a score not short on excellent action cues.

It's not quite as good as Priest or The Monkey King, though. I think we can conclude that if Steven doesn't like those two, no force on Earth is going to make him like Young. I do wonder what it is, though? Is it his tendency towards "heavier" lower-end orchestrations? I agree he can come across as a bit stolid compared to the lighter, defter touch of someone like Williams or Powell or Horner. It's a tendency I feel he shares with Howard Shore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As an angry atheist, I certainly can't enjoy Priest. I just get too worked up about it. Religious people are so stupid!! Praise be to science!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin You GO, girl!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Hi hi hi. face-palm-mt smile
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    The Core is brilliant. It's my favorite Young score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2015 edited
    NP: Die Nibelungen - Gottfried Huppertz

Pan Classics' new release of Huppertz's complete score for the 2-part 1924 film amounts to 4.5 hours of music and so far, this re-recording sounds excellent.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  6. ^ For me this release is a dream come true. For whoever is interested in film music of silent movies this is highliy recommended. I am amazed how close Huppertz comes to what ten years later will be attributed to Korngold as "The Hollywood Sound". Clearly Hupertz and Korngold are drawing from the same traditions.

Volker
  7. JP: Black Gold (2012) - James Horner

For me not among Horner's best but very solid and enjoyable.

NP: By Request: The Best of John Williams & The Boston Pops (1987)

One of my earliest film music CDs. This goes down like vanilla ice cream. lick

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2015
    NP: Agent 47 - Marco Beltrami

I'm kinda getting into this score. It's basically Inception - The Action Version, with more orchestral flavors and aggression. It's not a bad listen for the office.
  8. NP: The Clangers - Vernon Elliot

Random shuffling of my music library has thrown up this album that I bought more for nostalgia rather than for the music (though the music is very familiar in places). Flute and harp dominate these scores - probably recorded by Elliot and Oliver Postage in a shed at the bottom of a garden, and the album is enhanced by the inclusion of some narration from Postgate himself.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Hangover Square / 5 Fingers Herrmann

The new Kritzerland release, sounds terrific!
  10. The Walk Silvestri

First listen, interesting so far, shifts between typical Alan Silvestri emotional music, Jazzy and very, very French! 'Two Loves' is beautiful.
  11. 'Time Passes' has a very 'journey to the line' feel.
  12. 'The Arrow' is a wonderfully playful and whimsical piece.
  13. Which then turns into a more propulsive action piece before coming back to whimsy.
  14. Really enjoying this
  15. 'The Walk' is somewhat generic but very ethereal and beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2015
    Ah, a running report.
    We should implement a Twitter function!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  16. Yes, I don't know what's got into me! I'm not on twitter so I guess this is what it feels like. smile
  17. 'There is no why' is very beautiful.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2015
    Mission Impossible Rogue Nation Joe Kraemer

I love this score.
  18. Sodom and Gomorrah Rozsa

It's been a relaxed music filled Saturday so far. I had 3 packages with a new cd in each arrive this morning and I've saved this new recording for last. Amazing music in stunning sound, I can't recommend it enough.
  19. Steven wrote
    Mission Impossible Rogue Nation Joe Kraemer

I love this score.

One of the year's best, great music.
  20. John Chambers wrote
    The Walk Silvestri etc.

Well that's one way to get your post count up.
  21. John Chambers wrote
    Sodom and Gomorrah Rozsa

It's been a relaxed music filled Saturday so far. I had 3 packages with a new cd in each arrive this morning and I've saved this new recording for last. Amazing music in stunning sound, I can't recommend it enough.

This is absolutely brilliant! I'd never even heard of the film until this recording, this is going to get a lot of plays.