• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2015
    Martijn wrote
    Same here.
    I never really found any of the three films all that special (well, at least no more or less than other teen comedies back in the day), so I never really "got" the cult status. I do have a yen for Mary Steenburgen (she's NOT 62, she's NOT! cry )

You too, eh? She seems to have a resurgence recently, with her roles in JUSTIFIED and LAST MAN ON EARTH -- and she's incredibly sensual in both of them. I don't care that she's the same age as my mom.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    She looked a little plastic in Last Man.
  1. NP: The Back to the Future Trilogy (1999) - Alan Silvestri
    The Royal Scottish National Orchestra; John Debney

This is very solid orchestral film music. It relies heavily on the main theme, doesn't it.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. Steven wrote
    I rather enjoyed the fact that they were the hipster's alternative to Star Wars.

There were no hipsters in 1985. Or is that another thing they went to 2015 to get?
  3. Yes, there were hipsters in 1985. They were called yuppies.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Yep.
  4. Touche. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I'm not sure that's right, though. The Young Urban Professional is more your casual jaguar, rolex, Boss suit and three-Bellini lunch. I think you may be thinking of the Bobo (the Bourgeois Bohemian).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2015 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    Yes, there were hipsters in 1985. They were called yuppies.

Trillion Dollar % not Hipsters.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Steven wrote
    I rather enjoyed the fact that they were the hipster's alternative to Star Wars.

There were no hipsters in 1985. Or is that another thing they went to 2015 to get?

Hipsters go way back. Originally known as Hepcats I believe. ( late 30's early 40's? )

Jazz? Niiiice!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2015
    Tours Du Monde, Tours Du Ciel - Georges Delerue

Gorgeous. I can't help but look up at the stars when listening to this.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
  5. KevinSmith wrote

Good night to listen to it since there's the Orionid Meteor Shower peaking tonight.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Good night to listen to it since there's the Orionid Meteor Shower peaking tonight.

Really?

I'm off out to look.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorKevinSmith
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    KevinSmith wrote

Really?

I'm off out to look.

Cloudy where I am.
    Revenge is sweet... Revenge is best served cold... Revenge is ice cream.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Same here! slant
  6. Bridge of Spies - Thomas Newman

I love everything about this score, but three things stand out:

1. The choir. Newman does not write enough choral music.
    2. He actually wrote several cues longer than 3 minutes! cheesy
    3. "Homecoming" is classic Newman indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Hipsters go way back. Originally known as Hepcats I believe. ( late 30's early 40's? )

Absolutely, and it was even popularised further when Kerouac went mainstream (he uses the phrase in On The Road).
    It's all cool, daddy-o. cool (I want an emoticon with sunglasses and a baret. And an espresso. an dressed in black while snapping its fingers to bebop.)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FLIGHT (Alan Silvestri)

I like it -- Silvestri doing a rare contemporary drama sound.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: SUMMER RENTAL (Alan Silvestri)

I dig these low profile 80s films of his, where he gets to juggle pure synths with orchestral tracks (and even merge the two).
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2015 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

Absolutely, and it was even popularised further when Kerouac went mainstream (he uses the phrase in On The Road).
    It's all cool, daddy-o. cool (I want an emoticon with sunglasses and a baret. And an espresso. an dressed in black while snapping its fingers to bebop.)

yeah love

When I just googled images of Hipsters there were loads that looked like this.

I see this "style" a lot around my parts, someone must make it stop!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: African Safari 3D - Ramin Djawadi

Chocfull of African musical cliches....but it works so well, and it is just so lovely and melodic!
    I really like how so documentary scores so often tend to be more cohesive and thematic than film scores.

While I think his work on Game Of Thrones overall has more depth and thus remains my pick for Djawadi's best to date, this soundtrack to me easily is the most enjoyable.
  7. NP: Outland (1981) - Jerry Goldsmith

I love this dense, moody orchestral and synth hybrid. Classic Goldsmith. Pretty good film too.

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Outland (1981) - Jerry Goldsmith

I love this dense, moody orchestral and synth hybrid. Classic Goldsmith. Pretty good film too.

Volker

High Noon in space. Yeah, not a bad film and I love the score too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Same!
    beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Really like the film!
    The score, not so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Jurassic Park: The Lost World, aka The Lost World: Jurassic Park John Williams

My favourite Jurassic Park score. Long overdue an expansion.
  8. Bridge of Spies - Thomas Newman

I'm thinking back over the years as to the last thing Newman wrote that's as beautiful as "Homecoming", and I'm really drawing a blank. Surely it can't be "The Letter That Never Came" from A Series of Unfortunate Events? Because I honestly can't think of anything else (although there are a few things of Newman's from that decade or so that I haven't heard). That's a reflection both of how good "Homecoming" is, and of the difficulty I've had loving any of Newman's recent scores.

He's a composer I often have trouble with - I enjoy his scores well enough, but everyone raves over things like He Named Me Malala or the Best Exotic Marigold scores, and all I hear are some colorful, pleasant, but ultimately insubstantial textures. When he writes something with a bit more dramatic heft like "Homecoming", I have no trouble at all, though. love
  9. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Bridge of Spies - Thomas Newman

I'm thinking back over the years as to the last thing Newman wrote that's as beautiful as "Homecoming", and I'm really drawing a blank. Surely it can't be "The Letter That Never Came" from A Series of Unfortunate Events? Because I honestly can't think of anything else (although there are a few things of Newman's from that decade or so that I haven't heard). That's a reflection both of how good "Homecoming" is, and of the difficulty I've had loving any of Newman's recent scores.

He's a composer I often have trouble with - I enjoy his scores well enough, but everyone raves over things like He Named Me Malala or the Best Exotic Marigold scores, and all I hear are some colorful, pleasant, but ultimately insubstantial textures. When he writes something with a bit more dramatic heft like "Homecoming", I have no trouble at all, though. love

I'd say the entire score to Revolutionary Road comes pretty close. Also the climax to Cinderella Man.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  10. Steve Jobs - Daniel Pemberton

Well this is eclectic and a half! Here's what styles there have been so far, cue-by-cue:

1) the sounds of an orchestra tuning
    2) The Social Network-style electronica
    3) sounds like Interstellar for 10 seconds, then ethereal synth wash
    4) quirky electronica with flute and timpani accents
    5) full-fledged Mozart-style opera with soprano and choir
    6) accelerating vaguely comic classically-inclined orchestral cue, bit like "In the Hall of the Mountain King"
    7) gradually building electronica, I suspect a "Disc Wars" from Tron Legacy temp, but with no orchestra
    8) 80s synth-pop

Much of it is quite cool, especially cue 7 ("Change the World") - it's kind of like "what would The Social Network have sounded like in the hands of a competent film composer" - but holy hell does it ever give you genre whiplash! I wish there was some thematic element to unite all this disparate weirdness. dizzy