• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Atli Örvarsson - Vantage Point
    Apparently Harry Gregson Williams lovers will go crazy over this; alone.

Not necessary actually.
    I like Gregson-Williams, but when I listened "Vantage Point" I was highly disappointed. The score is little more than: "oh, ok". Amazing how one can copy a composer´s style (I´d say "Vantage Point" is also very Powellish, at least it tries) but the result turns out to be a mess.
    Exactly the same happened with the shameless "Hitman" score: it was impossible to make it sound more Powellish, but the result was mediocre, boring and uninteresting.

Let´s get serious, so:
    NP Une Hirondelle a fait le Printemps (Philippe Rombi)
    That´s what I like about Rombi: melodic and majestic, perfectly orchestrated and thematically rich music. Again showing his expertise and his gift writing for orchestra. This score is very close to my favourite Rombi´s works: "Angel" and "Joyeux Noël".
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Christodoulides wrote

Anywhere I hear clips? I'm intrigued. confused

EDIT: Never mind.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

Who do you get when you don't have enough money to hire Harry Gregson Williams? Well, Atli's RC latest acquisition and is apparently your man!

Same ol' synth strings Harry Gregson Williams uses, same ol' duduk Harry Gregson Williams uses same ol' synthetic choir Harry Gregson Williams uses, same ol' Heitor Pereira's mexican-flavored acoustic guitar Harry Gregson Williams uses, same ol' swooshing electronics Harry Gregson Williams uses, same pounding percussion Harry Gregson Williams uses, same piano Harry Gregson Williams uses and same ol' slow, string-driven and heavily dramatic Remote Control themes Harry Gregson Williams uses ("Epilogue" or "The President Is Safe" for instance); oh and did i mention the latest trend i.e. JOHN POWELL's Bourne-isms with the trademarked string ostinati a la "Tightening Circle"? And of course let's not forget the rapidly, constantly changing tempi, motif and rhythms a la Remote Control studios and you got your latest score on auto-pilot ready.

Apparently Harry Gregson Williams lovers will go crazy over this; alone.

FUCKING DUDUK! That really did it for me. tongue

One of the greatest summaries ever. wink
  1. Timmer wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote
    NP : HOOK - John Williams

Not a great favourite of mine, it's very good but it's just that I rarely reach for this one when I want a Williams fix, still, I'm enjoying it smile

not a favorite? Its one of the very best he has written shocked

Just a matter of opinion eh Thomas? wink

I could easily give you twenty ( and more ) Williams scores I think are far better.

please do, considering I don't find several others better, just equally good
    20? smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote

Not a great favourite of mine, it's very good but it's just that I rarely reach for this one when I want a Williams fix, still, I'm enjoying it smile

not a favorite? Its one of the very best he has written shocked

Just a matter of opinion eh Thomas? wink

I could easily give you twenty ( and more ) Williams scores I think are far better.

please do, considering I don't find several others better, just equally good
    20? smile

Okay, here's 20 that, IMO, are "better?" Hmmmmm? Let's say, more listenable......all IMO of course wink

Jaws
    Jaws 2
    Star Wars
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return Of The Jedi
    Empire Of The Sun
    Close Encounters Of The 3rd Kind
    The Fury
    Jane Eyre
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    Temple Of Doom
    The Last Crusade
    Dracula
    Monsignor
    The Towering Inferno
    The Witches Of Eastwick
    E.T.
    Revenge Of The Sith
    The Phantom Menace
    A.I.
    War Of The Worlds
    Nixon
    JFK

oooopppppsssss! I've gone over 20 cool wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Timmer wrote

Jaws
    Jaws 2
    Star Wars
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return Of The Jedi
    Empire Of The Sun
    The Fury
    Jane Eyre
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    Temple Of Doom
    The Last Crusade
    Dracula
    Monsignor
    The Towering Inferno
    The Witches Of Eastwick
    E.T.
    Revenge Of The Sith
    The Phantom Menace
    A.I.
    War Of The Worlds
    Nixon
    JFK

Some good choices, but to say these are more listenable or better I'm not sure off, ah well as long as we remain friends eh tongue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    JuPe wrote
    NP: Secret Of The Sahara - Ennio Morricone

I ordered this CD from a Nordic webstore about two weeks ago and it arrived today. Very beautiful stuff. The music flows amazingly well and I especially love the quiet choral tracks. The seventh track, The Golden Door is one of the weirdest tracks I have ever heard. The Amii Stewart song in the end is also excellent and it fits well to the musical style of the album.

It's a fantastic score!

The track THE MOUNTAIN is B I G ! cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm wiggin' out man! ^ dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Is something weird happening to this thread?

spin dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    This is still a fairly nearly perfect forum. biggrin
    Kazoo
  3. Erik Woods wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    However I do think some people underrate RAIDERS. There aren't a lot of scores with classics like 'The Map Room', 'The Basket Chase', 'Desert Chase', 'Marion's Theme', 'The Raiders March' and 'Miracle of the Ark' on the same CD.

I can't say that I agree with most of the things you postsay but with the above I'm with ya all the way!

-Erik-

'Most'? Come on... It's only in a minority of posts that I attack Silvestri, complain about action/adventure scores that are too loud/long/both, propose to Desplat, and praise the life out of music you find boring. tongue
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    This is still a fairly nearly perfect forum. biggrin

Praise da Lard! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    NP: The Affair Of The Necklace - David Newman

A truly captivating score - lush and elegant - and one of my favourites by D. Newman.

cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    Timmer wrote

Jaws
    Jaws 2
    Star Wars
    The Empire Strikes Back
    Return Of The Jedi
    Empire Of The Sun
    The Fury
    Jane Eyre
    Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    Temple Of Doom
    The Last Crusade
    Dracula
    Monsignor
    The Towering Inferno
    The Witches Of Eastwick
    E.T.
    Revenge Of The Sith
    The Phantom Menace
    A.I.
    War Of The Worlds
    Nixon
    JFK

Some good choices, but to say these are more listenable or better I'm not sure off, ah well as long as we remain friends eh tongue

Some "good choices?" shocked

wink beer
  4. NP: There Will Be Blood - Jonny Greenwood

So far (and I'm only on track 3) there's not much to hum to, but the music itself is quite interesting to listen to. It's a small ensemble to this point playing some interesting textural stuff as well as some interesting orchestrations.

Not a toe-tapper but worth a listen.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote

Good lord! Are you telling me that "The Map Room: Dawn" does absolutely NOTHING for you? That sequence and everything up until the Airplane Fight is musical storytelling at its absolute finest. And the discovery of the Ark itself is breathtaking. The Ark theme interpolated with the Medallion theme is delicious as Sallah and Indy lift the Ark up to give the audience its first glimpse of the it! A brilliantly paced part of the film and score. The whole damn score is perfection.

You CANNOT compare Raiders to The Golden Compass. Raiders reaches heights that only Compass wishes it could achieve. Don't even go there!

-Erik-

Sorry Erik, I'll reiterate this again. Raiders' score does nothing for me, the movie itself is highly entertaining and the score supports it fine. It's fine if the remaining 99% of the film score community loves it to death, but I don't. Just give it a rest.

And I wasn't comparing the quality of the Raiders score to TGC's. I was comparing the mostly positive reception of TGC's score to your lukewarm response to it.
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Demetris, on Vantage Point....I actually agree with your assesment of Vantage Point. HGW used to be one of, if not my very favorite composer, but the last few years from him have been utterly dissapointing, so I'm not excited to hear Atli do basically the exact same thing. RC scores seem to have declined in quality in the present decade...at least the ones from the 90s were FUN.

The only thing I can say in Atli's defense is that I'm impressed he managed to work in any emotional upliftingness at all (i.e. "Epilogue") given the terrible things I've heard about the film.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : THE PIANO - Michael Nyman

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Rambo - Brian Tyler

Great score. But I am getting kinda weary of hearing the Bourne ostinato EVERYWHERE.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Scribe wrote
    Rambo - Brian Tyler

Great score. But I am getting kinda weary of hearing the Bourne ostinato EVERYWHERE.

Yep!

I hate the watering down of great tracks, it's already happened big time to Zimmer's 'Journey To The Line' from The Thin Red Line making a strong and emotionally powerful track weaker and weaker until it has no gravitas anymore.

Same with Barber's Adagio which I can no longer listen to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    NP: Les Aventures De Tintin - Ray Parker, Jim Morgan and Tom Szczesniak

Quote: "It is generally regarded as an excellent score, fitting with the series well and providing enjoyable listening in its own right."

Amen to that!! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Matt C wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Good lord! Are you telling me that "The Map Room: Dawn" does absolutely NOTHING for you? That sequence and everything up until the Airplane Fight is musical storytelling at its absolute finest. And the discovery of the Ark itself is breathtaking. The Ark theme interpolated with the Medallion theme is delicious as Sallah and Indy lift the Ark up to give the audience its first glimpse of the it! A brilliantly paced part of the film and score. The whole damn score is perfection.

You CANNOT compare Raiders to The Golden Compass. Raiders reaches heights that only Compass wishes it could achieve. Don't even go there!

-Erik-

Sorry Erik, I'll reiterate this again. Raiders' score does nothing for me, the movie itself is highly entertaining and the score supports it fine. It's fine if the remaining 99% of the film score community loves it to death, but I don't. Just give it a rest.

I will NOT give it a rest. You singled me out in your initial post so I have every right to respond. You don't like the score and gave your reasons why and I countered with why I like the score and all my reasons why. What the problem, Matt?

Matt C wrote
    And I wasn't comparing the quality of the Raiders score to TGC's. I was comparing the mostly positive reception of TGC's score to your lukewarm response to it.

Well, I'd say that there is a 50-50 split in the film music community cocerning The Golden Compass. Some like it some don't. However, with Raiders... like you said... about 99% of us LOVE IT while the others don't. Therefore bring up Golden Compass doesn't make any sense as a comparision.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Golden Compass = Average
    Raiders = Bloody rules

My opinion. wink

Done. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    BRIAN TYLER - Rambo

Some cues are plain punk Fire the bloody sound editor i say.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. no. Fire bloody Tyler, I say. He admitted to liking longer albums himself. The underscore works decently, you aren't disturbed in anyway by Crossing into Burma or Searching for the Missionaries.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm not bothered about longer albums. The more music the better. Anything you don't want to listen to then just skip. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    I'm not bothered about longer albums. The more music the better. Anything you don't want to listen to then just skip. rolleyes

But that's not what I want to do. Like Martijn, I prefer an album that gives the best presentation of the score in terms of a listening experience rather than as much music as can be put on a CD.

In most cases I do prefer a longer album, and some scores truly deserve a full release, but when it comes to Tyler... not so much.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Anthony wrote

But that's not what I want to do. Like Martijn, I prefer an album that gives the best presentation of the score in terms of a listening experience rather than as much music as can be put on a CD.

In most cases I do prefer a longer album, and some scores truly deserve a full release, but when it comes to Tyler... not so much.

I prefer a good presentation too but I'm real glad albums are as filled out as possible which enables me to be able to decide what I Do and Don't want to hear.

Back in the days of Vinyl you didn't get much 'change' from a 35 minute listen resulting in many scores missing some of the films best scoring.

But on the other hand, let's be honest, scores were FARRRRRRRRR better than they are now!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Can't please anyone around here.

Shorter albums are better listens but most of the time don't include those cues that we want.

Longer albums have everything we want but don't play well.

Some old shit over and over and over and over again.

Anyway, read Timmer's post above.... well said!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!