• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    NP : YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE - John Barry

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    BobdH wrote
    Haha, I see what you're getting at, but no, I'm sorry, it doesn't wink Promo's rarely come with booklets.

Actually, most do.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    Wrong Turn 2 - Bear McCreary

A very effective score by McCreary.
    This young guy is very good!
    I'm very keen to hear what he comes up with over the next few years.

Couldn't have said it better myself!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    NP:Pearl Harbor ( a lot of guys)

A great mistake.

A lot of music ( i mean essential cues) from other composers, a lot of self rips from Gladiator and The Thin Red Line and a generic orchestrations in the generic action music.

"Tenesse" and "Then I kissed Him" are the only thing I can save from this score, they are a very beautiful themes (but they are improved in POTC3)
  1. Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP Doctor Who (Murray Gold)
    My first listen and already shocked
    Now this is good, varied, orchestral (electronically enhanced) music!

I double that after my complete first listen.
    shocked shocked
    I love when they spend the money in such scores. I want more. Proceeding to Doctor Who - Series 3.

Gold is brilliant, catchy hummable melodies and great dramatic scoring, he's a Barry Gray for this Century!

But have you heard the music he's been producing for Torchwood? Not so good!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008
    NP: Bee Movie - Rupert Gregson-Williams & random RC guys that have not progressed to the point of being important enough to be named as a co-composer.

One of the most pleasant surprises of last year, a very fun score. It's like Chicken Run Lite.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

A great mistake.

A lot of music ( i mean essential cues) from other composers, a lot of self rips from Gladiator and The Thin Red Line and a generic orchestrations in the generic action music.

"Tenesse" and "Then I kissed Him" are the only thing I can save from this score, they are a very beautiful themes (but they are improved in POTC3)

Actually i could never, never understand such allegations against PEARL HARBOR. I absolutely love the score and its themes and i believe it's a tremendously underrated work 'cause of the stupid movie it accompanied. I could never understand nor justify such sentiments against it.
  2. Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

A great mistake.

Actually i could never, never understand such allegations against PEARL HARBOR. I absolutely love the score and its themes and i believe it's a tremendously underrated work 'cause of the stupid movie it accompanied. I could never understand nor justify such sentiments against it.

As I related in another thread a couple of days ago, even Zimmer spoke very poorly of his own work for this film.

As for 'Tennessee', isn't that pretty much 20 bars-repeated of a theme from THE THIN RED LINE in less elegant arrangement?
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Marselus wrote
    NP Doctor Who (Murray Gold)
    My first listen and already shocked
    Now this is good, varied, orchestral (electronically enhanced) music!

I double that after my complete first listen.
    shocked shocked
    I love when they spend the money in such scores. I want more. Proceeding to Doctor Who - Series 3.

Gold is brilliant, catchy hummable melodies and great dramatic scoring, he's a Barry Gray for this Century!

But have you heard the music he's been producing for Torchwood? Not so good!

True? Is he not inspired on this??
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAVEHEART - James Horner

Wonderful score! The film? Treated as a fantasy it's great fun and boy does the score work great in it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

A great mistake.

Agree; along with King Arthur, one of the most underrrated scores by Zimmer. The themes are beautiful and the action music, although generic if you want, contains great pieces like "Airborne", "Doolittle Training" or "Take Off". Among his best works? Well, we could debate it, but surely not as bad as we´ve been reading this years IMO. Too bad both movies were a pair of flops.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Marselus wrote
    Too bad both movies were a pair of flops.

Well, Pearl Harbor didn't exactly get the best reviews, but you could hardly call it a flop? It did pretty well at the boxoffice, if I recall correctly... King Arthur, on the other hand, was a flop, and rightly so wink (pretty bland movie, though the score is great indeed).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2008 edited
    Catch Me If You Can | John Williams

Wonderful jazzy score, probably a throwback to his earlier jazzy scores... if I was familiar with them that is. (Excellent album too.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    BobdH wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Too bad both movies were a pair of flops.

Well, Pearl Harbor didn't exactly get the best reviews, but you could hardly call it a flop? It did pretty well at the boxoffice, if I recall correctly... King Arthur, on the other hand, was a flop, and rightly so wink (pretty bland movie, though the score is great indeed).

You´re right, about Pearl Harbor I meant flop in an artistic point of view (I love some parts of it though, after all I´m a fan of Michael Bay), but as a boxoffice success there´s no discussion it did well.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    franz_conrad wrote

As I related in another thread a couple of days ago, even Zimmer spoke very poorly of his own work for this film.

That doesn't say anything to me, he does it almost all of the time for almost all of his scores. I don't even think he actually believes that stuff.
  3. He often makes his scores sound like humble contributions (hey, they usually are!), but this was quite different in tone. I've not heard of a film composer on the record since Hugo Friedhofer dismiss their own work with such frankness as he did with PEARL HARBOR. (And unlike Friedhofer, Zimmer has a healthy amount of self esteem!) It kind of made sense that he doesn't think that well of it, because you only have to look at the scores either side of it (Gladiator before, Hannibal and BHD after) to see that it was a dip in quality for him. Mind you, he put it into context - he even said he hadn't wanted to do the film coming off GLADIATOR and MI2, and only did it at Bruckheimer's insistence.

I think it was Vance Brawley's old site that hosted the review, which sadly means it could be lost to time. (There were some great interviews on Vance's old site, though the Zimmer interview was one of the last.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: The Snow Walker - Mychael Danna

A lovely score. This is my first listen. Pleased to have discovered it.
  4. Heard this score in the film and was amazed. The film is pretty good too, the chemistry between Pepper and the young Inuit girl is just very good. Great photography too, not overusing the vistas, but also showing the beauty of the terrain. And it was made with great heart. That's fresh today.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    NP: The Snow Walker - Mychael Danna

A lovely score. This is my first listen. Pleased to have discovered it.

Indeed, gorgeous stuff.

n.p. Joe Hisaishi - the story of the great king and the four gods

Mind-blowing orchestral writing and brilliant melodies. One of the year's most amazing scores for sure.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Alien - Jerry Goldsmith

Some interesting orchestration, but no way near as good as I had expected. slant
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Alien - Jerry Goldsmith

Some interesting orchestration, but no way near as good as I had expected. slant

It's a work of genius!

...to each his/her own.

But please, give it some more listens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    N.P. DAVID ARNOLD - Hot Fuzz

K-I-L-L-E-R score punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That was short running time (a 23 minute suite and a 3-minute "theme from hot fuzz") and it's over, now shifted to the kick-ass-ness of HANS ZIMMER - Pirates of the Caribbean : at world's end...oh it's been long since i last played this and it's SO damn fun!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    NP : BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA - Wojchiech Kilar

cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008
    NP: JAWS & JAWS 2 - John Williams

It's summer here is South Australia.
    I live near the beach (not far from where Rodney Fox had his famous shark attack).
    We are often told to stay out of the water by coast guards due to incoming sharks.
    So right now I'm in Jaws mode! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote

I live near the beach (not far from where Rodney Fox had his famous shark attack).
    We are often told to stay out of the water by coast guards due to incoming sharks.

Great scores! as if you needed me to tell you that?! wink

Love sharks, perfect animals, seen any recently?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Timmer wrote
    Atham wrote

Great scores! as if you needed me to tell you that?! wink

Love sharks, perfect animals, seen any recently?

Not actually from the beach.
    Back in 2001 there was a dead whale floating off shore near Kangaroo Island that attracted a multitude of great white sharks, not to mention the media and a BBC film crew.
    I joined my friends on their boat to go out and get some shots on camera.
    There were plenty of sharks. Mostly betwwn 8 - 14feet long.
    After a while we decided to move out from all the other boats surrounding the dead whale and just left the boat ideling in the water while we had a bite to eat. Suddenly we felt a heavy "thump" against the boat. My friend's wife went pale and pointed to the back of the boat.
    There it was, a massive great white arround 18-19 feet in length having a nosey at the boat!
    I grabbed my camera and took a couple of photos. I could've patted its nose! Then it went away.
    I then got out the video camera and filmed the crew talking about the experience when right behind them it came. I got it on tape too! This time it just kept hanging arround bumping us. Or swimming under us.
    Soon all the other boats left the whale to see this big shark near us.
    It hang arround for a while, even had a go out somebody's outboard motor.
    Then it just went under and left.
    Was it scarey? No! It was an amazing experience!
    So when the time came to edit the video I couldn't resist but to put the Jaws score behind it.

So now most of my Speilberg type childhood dreams have come true.
    I've seen a Great White up close. I've seen UFOs. Now I just need to find the Ark Of The Covanant! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    NP: 3:10 to Yuma - Marco Beltrami

It's been a while since I've listened to a new score with this frequency. A really good one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2008 edited
    NP:Xmen- 3 (powell)

Why I don't feel the same magic with this score like I feel with lair or Cuthroat Island?

Maybe it's because I know too much Powell's sound? maybe because the movie doesn't have any climax?

Anyway...A 4 and half stars score!

( I can't understand why Powell doesn't perform Phoenix theme in the concerts, is the best thing from this score! )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You don't feel the magic and give it 4 and a half starts? Woah; what if you DID feel it...would that be 10 out of 5? wink tongue kiss