• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Has anybody noticed the surprising (but totally welcome) similiarities in Light Between Oceans and Lady In the Water? I'm not sure if i have enough technical music knowledge to non-embarrassingly describe what I mean, but there's a certain sense of rolling propulsiveness to the drama cues that immediately brought me back to "Charades" and similar tracks (which are now 10 years old, rather terrifyingly). I wonder if TLBO might have been temped with TLITW (sorry!) or if there is just something about water as a dramatic backdrop that inspires similar instincts in composers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2016 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Traffic Quintet plays Alexandre Desplat

A truly wonderful compilation by an ensemble that (understandably) really does this man's beautiful music justice. the suite from 'Un Prophete' for quintet is a revelation.

Yes! Terrific album. As is the Nouvelles Vagues album from a few years earlier (and contains some of his earlier work).

Also check out the Divine Féminin album, a selection of music for films where women play an important role. Desplat did the arrangements for this album. Saw the concert in Gent.

A very varied selection of pieces from classics like Vertigo and Basic Instinct to his own work on Birth. So if you want to hear Desplats take on Goldsmith, Herrmann and others, check it out.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2016
    Days of Heaven - Ennio Morricone

It's still just all so remarkable. These themes are eternal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: MIRACLE APPLES (Joe Hisaishi)

I have no idea what this Japanese 2013 film is about (a bunch of people growing apples?), but the music is lovely. Classic Hisaishi.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. ^ I've also heard it referred to as Fruits of Faith, so I can only assume there is some dodgy translation going on! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    FRUITS OF FAITH? What a title! :D
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: JÄGARNA 2 (Johan Söderqvist)

Few do melancholy as well as Söderqvist; this score is surprisingly heavy on that and less on thriller drones -- which is refreshing all in itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: KAPTEIN SABELTANN OG SKATTEN I LAMA RAMA (Johan Söderqvist & Patrick Norén)

Why this colourful pirate score hasn't gotten an official soundtrack release yet, is beyond me.
    I am extremely serious.
  3. NP: STAR TREK Vol 1 - Alexander Courage; Fred Steiner

On Varese Sarabande. The National Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Steiner.

Vol 2 of these recordings plus the two volumes conducted by Tony Bremner for Label X is all I'll ever need of the original series scores.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    The Light Between Oceans Desplat

So bloody good. Mesmerising.

Really? I was bored.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    lp wrote
    Southall wrote
    The Light Between Oceans Desplat

So bloody good. Mesmerising.

Really? I was bored.

Glad I'm not the only one!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2016
    I was also bored, but my allegiance lies with Southall, so I loved it.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I was also bored, but my allegiance lies with Southall, so I loved it.

I've not heard it but I love Desplat so my allegiance probably lies with Southall and erm, probably Steven....maybe. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I work alone.

So... alone...
  4. It's a melodic an emotional engaging score, from what I have listened to so far. Yet stylistically there seems nothing that I don't have in my collection a dozen times already. So this is a score that I will not purchase physically but will listen to on Spotify a couple of times and then probably forget about.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    Carol - Carter Burwell

One of last year's very best. For me it should have won the Oscar. Every note is a classy, understated illustration of the film's multi-stranded narrative. The occasional, mild Philip Glass intimations only add another interesting layer to Burwell's own inimitable voice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    NP: Is Paris Burning? (50th Anniversary re-recording) - Maurice Jarre

Well, THIS is a pleasure, and long overdue!
    The original Sony release (just rereleasing the LP version -containing 5 suites made up of several tracks- ) I have is recorded so narrowly to be almost mono!

Funnily enough I've never been all that keen on Jarre. Although I love many of his main themes, I only ever could get into a very few of his full scores (Doctor Zhivago and Lawrence Of Arabia standing tall at the top).
    But I have always loved his score for Paris Brûle-t-il?, not in the least due to that stunning main theme, the Paris Waltz (his most evocative theme ever in my opinion), it is woven around.

So I'm ecstatic to see a full recording of the score here - a very different experience to the suites on the original release. Nic Raine and the Prague Philharmonic do the score's required energy and Romantic outbursts full justice with a round and rich sound, and one of the finest performances of the Tadlow rerecordings to date! In fact, the pivotal accordeon sounds better here than in the original!

The second CD contains some other earlier work from Jarre and, interestingly, a version of the suites edit of the original Is Paris Burining? LP release. Haven't listened to it yet, and not sure that I will, but I like the inclusion as a wonderful curiosity.

Included also are two vocal versions of Paris En Colère, the 'song' versions of the Paris Waltz, one with choir and one with a female vocalist. The song was originally made famous by renowend French singer / actress Mireiile Matthieu.
    And while I love the idea of including these, if there is just one (very minor) critical comment to leverage it's this, that the female vocalist version is basically far too joyful. It's a sing-along, party version, which belies its content and lyrics that speak of furious rage and the drive for victory, which was gloriously captured by Matthieu.

But all in all: one of the very best purchases this year for me!
    Very happy with this!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  5. Martijn wrote
    NP: Is Paris Burning? (50th Anniversary re-recording) - Maurice Jarre

One of the very best purchases this year for me!
    Very happy with this!

Nifty!

NP: The Aviator - Howard Shore

I love this score. My favorite Shore work this side of Middle-earth. Tells the story brilliantly. More brilliantly, I'd wager, than the film itself.
  6. Bregt wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    NP: Traffic Quintet plays Alexandre Desplat

A truly wonderful compilation by an ensemble that (understandably) really does this man's beautiful music justice. the suite from 'Un Prophete' for quintet is a revelation.

Yes! Terrific album. As is the Nouvelles Vagues album from a few years earlier (and contains some of his earlier work).

Also check out the Divine Féminin album, a selection of music for films where women play an important role. Desplat did the arrangements for this album. Saw the concert in Gent.

A very varied selection of pieces from classics like Vertigo and Basic Instinct to his own work on Birth. So if you want to hear Desplats take on Goldsmith, Herrmann and others, check it out.

Thanks for the reference. I wondered why BIRTH didn't make the Quintet album.
    This seems like a hard compilation for an Australian to come across -- it's not in the US or the Australian iTunes store. :/
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  7. "Shadowlands" (rejected score)
    Christopher Gunning

Short, but very nice. I can't say if this is just some of it, or if this was all that was completed before the change in composer .

The score features a small group of vocalists and a what sounds like a solo boy soprano.

Opening with a church organ, the choir sings (I don't know if it's wordless or some language I don't know) in a meloncholly religious sound. Some harp and a solo cello make up the second half of the first cue, giving it a more hopeful sound and speeding up the tempo some.

The second track also opens with a low sustained church organ, then the small choir jumps in, repraising the ideas from the first cue.

The third cue features a solo cello with some strings underneath with some harp slowly plucking away before finally ending in a nice plesant way with the harp plucking up the octave.

I can't name anything off hand that the choir sounds like, to give you an idea, though breif parts of the Libera piece called "Twilight", sort of remind me of it.

I'm not familiar enough with Gunning's work to know if he re-used this in any other scores.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2016
    Philomena - DESPLAT, Alexandre

Good music.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2016
    Shadow Conspiracy - Bruce Broughton

This is a genuine A-grade action score. The theme is a killer (the bridge has a classic Western feel, weirdly) but the sustained, complex action cues are absolute bliss.
  8. justin boggan wrote
    "Shadowlands" (rejected score)
    Christopher Gunning
    I can't name anything off hand that the choir sounds like, to give you an idea, though breif parts of the Libera piece called "Twilight", sort of remind me of it.

Well you sold me. Always like more Libera style music smile

Today in "why the hell isn't this terrible", Morgan - Max Richter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2016
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    justin boggan wrote
    "Shadowlands" (rejected score)
    Christopher Gunning

Well you sold me. Always like more Libera style music smile

Today in "why the hell isn't this terrible", Morgan - Max Richter.

I was also impressed by this -- Richter in a more 'trendy' mode, but still satisfying. I also think the film is better than what many of colleagues think, but I recognize its flaws.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. NP: Jason and the Argonauts - Bernard Herrmann

Excellently varied score, very well re-recorded.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  10. NP: The Fog - John Carpenter

The 'film score' version of this is quite different from the originally-released version. In a good way.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2016
    franz_conrad wrote
    This seems like a hard compilation for an Australian to come across -- it's not in the US or the Australian iTunes store. :/

I listen to it on Spotify.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yoko Kanno - Wolf's Rain

Mindblowingly good. SO good, yes.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. Demetris wrote
    Yoko Kanno - Wolf's Rain

Mindblowingly good. SO good, yes.

A bit of a disjointed mix musical styles and score plus songs for my tastes.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Can you remember a Marvel film theme?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt