• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2017
    Probably not, as Giacchino is scoring every universe ever created at this point. punk punk punk beer beer beer wave cool
    • CommentAuthorJosh B
    Thor wrote

I don't get the fascination for this either. Is there a parallell world I can move to where there is no Desplat or Giacchino?

Sure. I understand that Britney Spears and Justin Bieber score most of the blockbusters in Earth G6.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2017 edited
    Bring it on! I like plenty of songs by the both of them.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Steven wrote
    Probably not, as Giacchino is scoring every universe ever created at this point. punk punk punk beer beer beer wave cool

Right. Should they really do another BATTLESTAR GALACTICA feature film (Although I did not hear from that project for almost a year, so I don't think they will.) Giacchino scoring it will be a thing of necessity. Come to think of it I'd really like to hear Giacchino' take on Phillips' Main Theme.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    love

Be still my beating heart, as they say.
  2. That project is in development hell at Universal since 2009. They don't seem to know what to do with the franchise that Larson and Moore haven't done already. Maybe they should give it a rest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    As much as I love Giacchino, no doubt my favourite working composer these days (if you exclude Williams), there's only one composer it should go to I suppose.
  3. Bear McCreary? I love his scores for that universe.
    Well, it was rumoured they could focus on the PEGASUS and leave the GALALCTICA out of the equation. I'm not sure if that would work. On the other hand I don't need a third retelling of the Colonies being destroyed by Cylons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True. They definitely need to leave it alone. But, if they absolutely can't, McCreary should be their man. But of course it'll go to Henry Jackman or Junk XL. So perhaps Thor won't want to jump ship just yet.
  4. I just finished my first spin of Joby Talbot's SING. I was impressed by a couple of the first tracks (1 and 4), but from there it devolved into zany short tracks that jumped from one style to another. By the end I was happy to be done with it.

Now I'm playing Aaltio's TALE OF A LAKE and enjoying it much better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote
    True. They definitely need to leave it alone. But, if they absolutely can't, McCreary should be their man. But of course it'll go to Henry Jackman or Junk XL. So perhaps Thor won't want to jump ship just yet.

I dig McCreary, actually, although he can't program an album if it bit him in the ass.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote

TALE OF A LAKE is wonderful, in my 'runner ups' this year.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2017 edited
    NP: SILICON COWBOYS (Ian Hulquist)

A lovely latecomer of 2016. Retro synth goodness!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2017
    Steven wrote
    As much as I love Giacchino, no doubt my favourite working composer these days (if you exclude Williams), there's only one composer it should go to I suppose.

I'm surprised that none of us mentioned Bruce Broughton for Rogue One. So small time in Hollywood movies but with a massive talent and a natural replacement for Williams IMO, more so than Giacchino.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Or Joel McNeely. Broughton is more 'raw', though. But these are considered 'has-beens' in the industry, unfortunately.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote

I'm surprised that none of us mentioned Bruce Broughton for Rogue One.

I'm not. Broughton might as well be dead as far as film music is concerned. It would be wonderful to have him score a Star Wars film, but that's about as likely to happen as John Williams scoring episode 9.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    It would be wonderful to have him score a Star Wars film, but that's about as likely to happen as John Williams scoring episode 9.

JW's family have long lived genes so I wouldn't be that willing to bet on it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote

TALE OF A LAKE is wonderful, in my 'runner ups' this year.

I heard that on your show! That was a good show, by the way. I always enjoy those best-of year-end round-ups. I liked your top ten, as well. I'm not fond of electronica, so we don't overlap any there, but I enjoy all of the other scores you highlighted.
  6. NP: MISS SLOANE - Max Richter

First listen. Anybody heard this one yet?
  7. christopher wrote
    NP: MISS SLOANE - Max Richter

First listen. Anybody heard this one yet?

yeah, didn't like it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  8. Me neither. I thought the final two tracks were good. Nothing much happened throughout the rest of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Sorry to hear it. I'll definitely check it out -- to me, any new Richter is something I look forward to.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: FAR CRY 4 (Cliff Martinez)

Dark and delicious! I just wish it were a more succinct album presentation.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. Thor wrote
    Sorry to hear it. I'll definitely check it out -- to me, any new Richter is something I look forward to.

Knowing your musical tastes, you may well feel differently about it, Thor. I also look forward to every Richter score. I really like his music for the first season of THE LEFTOVERS. That's the style of his writing that I enjoy most, and which I caught glimpses of in the final two cues. The rest was more ambient and didn't seem to do much, in my opinion. You'll probably feel differently about it smile

NP - 100 STREETS - Paul Saunderson

I saw that this film was released in Britain in 2016 and that the score was released by MSM, so I checked it out. It's surprisingly lovely, given the subject matter of the film. The score is based almost entirely around piano, and is very listenable - much more elegant than I was expecting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote

Knowing your musical tastes, you may well feel differently about it, Thor. I also look forward to every Richter score. I really like his music for the first season of THE LEFTOVERS. That's the style of his writing that I enjoy most, and which I caught glimpses of in the final two cues. The rest was more ambient and didn't seem to do much, in my opinion. You'll probably feel differently about it smile

Perhaps. Is it Spotify you're using to listen?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: POMPEII (Clinton Shorter)

Great score -- big and boisterous, but also melodic and ethereal at times. Very early 2000s Zimmer, but I dig that sound anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote
    christopher wrote
    Thor wrote

Perhaps. Is it Spotify you're using to listen?

Yes.
  11. NP: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) - John Williams

The original 1980 double LP presentation via Spotify. I never had a chance to listen to that incarnation of the score.
    Seems like the rights have reverted from Sony to Disney.

Volker
  12. CIVILIZATION VI - Geoff Knorr

This is just as enjoyable to me as his work on the BEYOND EARTH games. The album is much too long, but it is interesting the way they did the score on this one. They've got a theme for each location in the game and four variations (ancient, medieval, industrial, and atomic) based on how developed that civilization is in the game. Thankfully, not all four variations for every civilization are included on the album (or it would have needed a third disc!), and I think you easily cut half of them and get this down to really strong album. Something like this:

1. Spain (The Industrial Era)
    2. France (The Industrial Era)
    3. Germany (The Industrial Era)
    4. Norway (The Atomic Era)
    5. Russia (The Medieval Era)
    6. England (The Industrial Era)
    7. America (The Industrial Era)
    8. Egypt (The Industrial Era)
    9. China (The Industrial Era)
    10. Greece (The Industrial Era)
    11. India (The Industrial Era)
    12. Japan (The Industrial Era)
    13. Sumeria (The Atomic Era)

It would clock in at about 54:12, and give you a good representation of the different themes. Each track is very self-contained. They often begin softly and build to a big level (the kind of level you'd expect from this team for this game series), and then resolve, often getting quieter again. It's kind of like a trailer music album, except that the music isn't dialed to a 10 the whole time, and the compositional quality is, on average, higher here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2017
    I got a promo of that, but haven't downloaded it yet. Mostly because there's so much work in boiling it down to a listenable format. Your playlist sounds intriguing, though. Thanks!

I liked the CIVLIZATION score that was released last year as well, from Knorr and the other guys, but the same problem there -- too much music, and too much work in boiling it down. So after having it on my 'work bench' for months, I finally threw it away.
    I am extremely serious.