• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    I don't think it's saccharine at all.

Nor overblown, nor melodramatic for that matter.

The film is quite good as well, though the painful topic is not extremely relevant any more.

Not for you anyway.
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2017
    The Great Wall Ramin Djawadi

One of my favourites from 2016, and my favourite Djawadi score (not that there's much to choose from). Like I've already said, this is Game of Thrones on steroids.
  2. Small Soldiers (Jerry Goldsmith)

Fuck me, how much brilliance can you stuff on a 30 minute release? Varèse, expand this score as soon as possible. Because I heard the recording sessions and it has some excellent short cues that deserve to be heard.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    The film is quite good as well, though the painful topic is not extremely relevant any more.

Not for you anyway.

Well, as the exposition of sexual and exploitative excesses of the Catholic church was first widely initialed back in '99/'00 with massive exposés in pretty much every American newspaper in the first five years of the new millennium, causing the church to have to pay out multi-billion dollar repairs in countless lawsuits, and film after 'special of the week' jumping on the bandwagon of finding yet more evidence, I honestly don't think it's just me who thinks that the subject is one that holds very much shock value any more.

That said, for another take on the subject I heartily recommend the excellent film Spotlight from 2015, with Michael Keaton and Mark Ruffalo, that documents the quest of the Boston Globe to first provide wide coverage of the huge sexual misconduct and general cover-up attitude by the Catholic church.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. I have to admit that my comment was rash. I overlooked a crucial detail when skimming the Wiki page of the film. You are right of course.
  4. NP: Godzilla (2014) - Alexandre Le Grand

This is an incredible intelligent composition. Is is also a much better listening experience that I remembered it to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2017
    Doctor Strange Michael Giacchino

My favourite Marvel score (probably), with my favourite Marvel theme (definitely). Of course, it had to be Giacchino. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2017
    BRIMSTONE | tom holkenborg

Rather disappointing except for the last few tracks. It is defenitely too long, and the variations on the Bach piece are limited, so it's a lot of repeat, or at least sounds like a lot like that. It's also all extremely somber and dark. Thor will love the religious sound, and in parts, it is really good, but I don't know if it is a score that displays the composer's abilities.

The theme at the end of Watching Over Me should have come back more, for a better listening experience. I had the idea it all had to sound as dramatic as it is for the sake of it. But perhaps it works wonders in the film.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2017
    It's one of those where I'd have thought nobody would like it, if not for the fact that several people here do seem to like it. Basically an hour of a half of very simple keyboard music transcribed for strings, it's far too monochrome to ever maintain interest for that long. Having said that - I did like the long track near the end - and I'll give it another chance, given a few people have said they thought it was good.
  5. NP: The River (1984) - John Williams

Haven't listened to this in ages. I'm revisiting it due to a current thread over at FSM. People there (audiophile obviously) complain about the bad sound of this CD. Strange, when it comes to compression and clipping anf whatnot I appear to be totally deaf. To me this album sounds just fine.
    Wonderful combination of easy listening, Americana and sprinkles of jazz.

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2017
    ^ It's a Dan Wallin recording which will explain why the recording quality is rather poor. The River is also the score that ended Williams ten year reign of one brilliant score after another!

The River is lovely but serviceable.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  6. LA LA LAND - Justin Hurwitz

This is some of the happiest music composed for film in a long while. Excellent stuff!
  7. Southall wrote
    It's one of those where I'd have thought nobody would like it,

You must account for the Thor margin of error.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2017 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: The River (1984) - John Williams

Haven't listened to this in ages. I'm revisiting it due to a current thread over at FSM. People there (audiophile obviously) complain about the bad sound of this CD. Strange, when it comes to compression and clipping anf whatnot I appear to be totally deaf. To me this album sounds just fine.
    Wonderful combination of easy listening, Americana and sprinkles of jazz.

Volker

It's a VERY fine score; quite underrated. But I agree with you -- I've never thought of this as having any kind of inferior sound quality, so I was quite surprised when I saw such reactions in that FSM thread. I think it sounds fine.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. He was their inspiration. He made their lives extraordinary.

NP: Dead Poets Society (1989) - Maurice Jarre

Just 15 Minutes of music. There is but little music that touches we that deeply.

Volker
  9. NP: King Kong (1932 /1997) - Max Steiner

The wonderful re-recording. What a landmark score!
  10. NP: Rambo - First Blood Part II - Jerry Goldsmith

Taking a break from my immersion with scores from 2016 and revisiting a classic. Some of my favourite Goldsmith action scoring is featured on this album.

I'd tried to put together a Top 100 film scores and this one rightly came inside my Top 20 - though I was surprised that it didn't come higher than it did.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  11. I have to say I am very happy with the Silva release I own. After checking it out, I decided not to get the Intrada. However, I do find the Intrada to be the way to go with the first score in the franchise.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  12. PawelStroinski wrote
    I have to say I am very happy with the Silva release I own. After checking it out, I decided not to get the Intrada. However, I do find the Intrada to be the way to go with the first score in the franchise.

The Silva Screen certainly has all the major highlights of the score.

NP: Poltergeist - Jerry Goldsmith

Rambo's antics put me in the mood for some more Goldsmith action scoring, so I've taken a few tracks - still totaling over 40 minutes - into a late-night playlist.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  13. NP: The Final Conflict - Jerry Goldsmith

Superb!

And then off to bed... sleep
  14. NP - THE CAIRO DECLARATION - Chad Cannon

This is good.
  15. NP - CEZANNE ET MOI - Eric Neveux

Not terribly substantive, but my favorite score from Neveux thus far. One of the nicer scores this year, I think. "Le lettre d'Emile" is gorgeous.
  16. NP - AFTER EVER AFTER - Jerome Leroy

This is just lovely! I'm not sure how this score escaped me last year, but halfway through my first listen I am really enjoying it.
  17. NP: Das Boot (1981) - Klaus Doldinger

Hail to the Chief. tongue

Volker
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2017
    NP : MONSIGNOR - John Williams

Brilliant score that just flies by too quickly. Never seen the film and from what I've heard about it I never will.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  18. It's been awhile. I just wanted to say hello!

I'm now listening to Star Trek Beyond Deluxe on YouTube to determine if I want to buy it with birthday money when Varése Sarabande gets more in stock at some point. smile

Hope everyone is doing great!

-Cailin
  19. I'm now listening to Star Trek Beyond Deluxe on YouTube to determine if I want to buy it with birthday money when Varése Sarabande gets more in stock at some point. smile

So...after listening to it for a little while, it does't seem like there's much going on with this score. I enjoy the new Star Trek theme, but haven't invested in any of the film scores yet. Is there a favorite around here? Is Star Trek, Star Trek Into Darkness or Star Trek Beyond the best?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2017
    I really enjoyed Star Trek Beyond, It's probably my favourite of Giacchino's Trek scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  20. I'm inclined to agree, though it's close for me between that one and the first. Star Trek Beyond has some outstanding moments but is a clear step beneath the other two for me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2017
    NP : DISTANCE BETWEEN DREAMS - Junkie XL

Just finishing. I'm not adverse to electronica film scores but there was nothing in this that caught my ear, it didn't offend me in any way but it didn't do anything for me.