• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Quo Vadis (1951/2012) - Miklos Rosza

The glorious Tadlow re-recording. Can't wait for Ben-Hur.

Volker

I'm sure I'm not alone in really not fully understanding another rerecording. It may be the most recorded/represented score in history!
    That said, I'll still likely buy it. smile

That's right. That's why would have preferred Mr Fitzpatrick to wrap things up with King of Kings. I'm sure though Ben-Hur will make for a terrific listen
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  2. I think there's another version because James Fitzpatrick wants do another version. And he controls the money.

He must believe the other versions are somewhat lacking.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  3. Martijn wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    NP: Quo Vadis (1951/2012) - Miklos Rosza

The glorious Tadlow re-recording. Can't wait for Ben-Hur.

Volker

It may be the most recorded/represented score in history!

I dare say that would be Star Wars. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2017
    Just the main theme, not the score in its entirety I wager!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2017
    Martijn wrote

yeah

Loads of various tracks and suites from Star Wars films have been rerecorded and interpreted but none of the Star Wars scores have been recorded individually as an album.

Psycho must be up there as most recorded full score? ...even though the original has never been available.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote
    LA LA LAND | justin hurwitz

I found out there's also a score-only album. Fantastic! What a joy to listen to. The Credits piece is fabulous.

I gave this several chances -- both song and score album -- but it really failed to impress me. One or two marginally decent cues, but overall not really my cup of tea. I'm hopefully seeing the movie in a couple of weeks (it premieres here at the end of February, I think) to see what all the fuss is about.

Going with the approximately 90% opposite opinion accuracy rating when it comes to Thor's opinion on something, I knew the score must be good so I went and checked out cues on youtube.

Checked out three cues.

Checked out the lead characters theme. Okay enough.

Then the Epilogue. Enjoyable, but too all over the place. Some editing would be needed to a better presentation.

Then Planetarium, which was very nice. A good job with so little at times.

Not surprising that once again it's the opposite of Thor.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I also love the piano piece 'Engagement Party', only 1.27 in length but beautifully melancholic, poignant and warm.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. That little motif from "Engagement Party" and also the song "Someone in the Crowd" is actually my favorite thing from La La Land.
  6. That's fitting, since the piano motif from "engagement party" is the blaring brass motif from "someone in the crowd," just slowed way down and given a different harmony. Justin, the reason "Epilogue" sounds like it's all over the place is because it's a review of every theme from the film. The scene it accompanies is also a review of the whole film, in a fantastical sort of way, and the images and music during that scene are a brilliant recapitulation of everything that has come before. My appreciation of that piece expanded greatly once I was familiar with all the themes (which are so memorable that you can have them all down after just a few listens. Seeing the film really helps, too.

We were just listening to this at dinner tonight. During the end credits piece I noticed that all of us - two adults and three children were dancing in our chairs. This soundtrack is a big hit in our house. It's so happy!

Here's that credits piece: https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLl9r- … aIoPKE_u_w
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2017 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    Thor wrote
    Bregt wrote
    LA LA LAND | justin hurwitz

I found out there's also a score-only album. Fantastic! What a joy to listen to. The Credits piece is fabulous.

I gave this several chances -- both song and score album -- but it really failed to impress me. One or two marginally decent cues, but overall not really my cup of tea. I'm hopefully seeing the movie in a couple of weeks (it premieres here at the end of February, I think) to see what all the fuss is about.

Going with the approximately 90% opposite opinion accuracy rating when it comes to Thor's opinion on something, I knew the score must be good so I went and checked out cues on youtube.

Checked out three cues.

Checked out the lead characters theme. Okay enough.

Then the Epilogue. Enjoyable, but too all over the place. Some editing would be needed to a better presentation.

Then Planetarium, which was very nice. A good job with so little at times.

Not surprising that once again it's the opposite of Thor.

From the way you describe it, we actually seem to have very similar opinions in this case.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Martijn wrote

That's right, but concert suites of the score have been recorded quite often, starting with Zubin Mehta and Charles Gerhardt, Williams himself for Philips and Sony, Varujan Koijan, Paul Bateman ... smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Spielberg/Williams Volume 3

Just a five track sampler from Sony unfortunately. Amistad, Lincoln, BFG, Private Ryan and War Horse. It is, of course, wonderful (and possibly all I'll hear from it given the absurd way it's being released).
  8. Cool, how does it sound?!

I agree that it's nuts that it's not being released on its own and the current preorder price is ludicrous but I'm too much of a sucker not to buy this when it's released, I've always been hoping for a third volume!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2017
    Yeah, it sounds great. I'll probably give in and buy it when it comes out.
  9. Thanks James, can't wait to get it!
  10. The Space Between Us - Andrew Lockington

Most of it passes by pleasantly without leaving much of an impression, but "Biplane" is a lovely track! Great gradual transition from action into a big sweeping theme. Worth checking out for that piece alone. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Very Thomas Newman in places, I thought.
  11. Yes, extremely! Lockington has often shown flashes of Newman in his previous scores, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Jackie Mica Levi

I know we're not supposed to, but I think this is excellent.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2017
    ^ Gross!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  12. STAR WARS

Some great funky music concerning some cantina scene. Everything else sounds like all that classical rubbish that Beethoven fellow wrote. I dumped it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2017
    The Lego Batman Movie Lorne Balfe

This is actually good. A lot of fun.
  13. Yup! Wish it had more Elfman references though. I don't think I caught any, really...

Also I'm fairly sure the orchestra is sampled. That shouldn't really happen on a film of this budget, should it? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Should it really surprise you that a graduate from the RC/MV school of composing is using a sampled orchestra?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  14. It doesn't surprise me, but it does bother me...
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2017 edited
    BATMAN hasn't sounded like Elfman since the 90s, up to and including the Goldenthals (which are just as much Goldenthal as Elfman). Even the GOTHAM TV series is more Zimmer than Elfman. So I'm not surprised it's gone out of fashion for newer incarnations of the superhero.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    NP: 1492: CONQUEST OF PARADISE (Vangelis)

Hadn't played this in years. Pure genius from start to finish.
    I am extremely serious.
  15. ^ Oh, yeah!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote

Wonderful score. How is the film viewed? Considering the man was a **nt and as I remember it wasn't hot on historical accuracy.
  16. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote

Wonderful score. How is the film viewed? Considering the man was a **nt and as I remember it wasn't hot on historical accuracy.

It wasn't. But cast and production values are still worth a watch.