• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009 edited
    There's name calling, and then there's this.

In my opinion D. is extremely political and diplomatic in his post above, which I applaud.
    However, to my mind the line crossed here is unacceptable.

Playing the racist card in this truly obnoxious way is in every way as bad as any other "hate" statement, and in my opinion a proper reason for a ban. Which I am imposing right now.

If anyone disagrees, I'll be happy to discuss this.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Ouch. Our first ban.

Sunil can defend himself in an e-mail if he wants (address on the About page).
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    There are some thing you just can't let slide.

It's not that he picked on Erik (who is MORE than capable of standing his own ground), but the way in which it was done. I find the complete lack of insight in or remorse for this disgusting accusation more than reason enough to justify this admittedly drastic step.

EDIT: enough about this in this thread.
    Poor Jerry. sad

Like I said, I'll be perfectly happy to discuss this, but let's do that elsewhere.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Wouldn't it be great if someone released THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER?

This is pretty vile stuff I've seen written here today, Sunil seems to have a thing about 'perceived' racism but his attack on Erik was seriously unwarranted and libelous, sadly I agree with Martijn's decision.

....anyway....

On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    Timmer wrote

beer

1963?
    Hmmmm... that could go either way for me.
    I don't know the score, to be honest, and I've heard a lot of recently released Goldsmith I really didn't care for much (too avant-garde or amelodic).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bregt wrote
    Ouch. Our first ban.

I always thought Jordi would be the first one. He won´t like it tongue biggrin
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

beer

1963?
    Hmmmm... that could go either way for me.
    I don't know the score, to be honest, and I've heard a lot of recently released Goldsmith I really didn't care for much (too avant-garde or amelodic).

This one is Goldsmith dynamite, easily his finest early score from the ones I've heard. I've got a poor-sounding bootleg and would love a proper release of it. The "Fox Hunt" music is probably one of the top-ten bits of Goldsmith I've ever heard.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ^
    What the man said Martijn, what the man said! cool

p.s. The film is a bit of a curio, not that great but very watchable, mostly for the fact it has an all star cast that are heavily diguised who reveal themselves over the end credits.

Just looked on the IMDB and see that Kirk Douglas is listed as playing four different characters.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thor, fommes & Timmer, sorry for moving your posts, but this is getting so that it deserves its own thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    What's with all the diplomacy and democracy around here? I say we need a MainTitles dictator fast, like in a bad, Jerry Goldsmith-scored picture.

Speaking of which, Goldsmith's great, isn't he?

In my never-ending & fruitless search for a score as good as Under Fire, I just got me Caboblanco, which is very good on a first listen, yet, rather unsurprisingly, not as good as the former score. Where with Williams I enjoy his versatility and like his larger scores equally as his more intimate, I find that with Goldsmith, I'm more drawn/partial to his Westerns & especially his Hispanic/Mexican-type scores. Curious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    <Moved to here.>

Edit by Martijn, Apologies, Ralph, but better to keep this in one place.
    Oh, sorry. Yeah, no problem. I´d have written it there if I had seen it.
  1. Yes, I want again Goldsmith magnificence in this topic, nothing else angry
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Timmer wrote
    ^

p.s. The film is a bit of a curio, not that great but very watchable, mostly for the fact it has an all star cast that are heavily diguised who reveal themselves over the end credits.

Just looked on the IMDB and see that Kirk Douglas is listed as playing four different characters.

I wonder why such a fan obsessive score such as THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER has never been released? I just hope it's not a case of badly deteriorated tapes because this one really is a great score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Edited by Martijn: moved to here.
  2. Timmer wrote
    Timmer wrote
    ^

I wonder why such a fan obsessive score such as THE LIST OF ADRIAN MESSENGER has never been released? I just hope it's not a case of badly deteriorated tapes because this one really is a great score.

Not heard about it being missing -- I jsut thought up until now it was because of who held the rights, though now that studio has fallen too.

Here is a list I have pieced together from various sources, on missing masters:

http://composerbase.150m.com/lost.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009
    INNERSPACE: LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1114
    Music by Jerry Goldsmith
    Limited Edition of 3000 Units

SHIPPING STARTS DEC 1st.
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

ORDER “INNERSPACE: LIMITED EDITION” DEC 1st at www.lalalandrecords.com

NEW RELEASE SPECIAL!!! Order INNERSPACE: LIMITED EDITION at www.lalalandrecords.com and get THE FUGITIVE (2 CD-SET) LIMITED EDITION at a special sale price of $24.98. For a limited time.

Presenting the world premiere score-only release of renowned composer Jerry Goldsmith’s (THE OMEN, PATTON, BASIC INSTINCT, GREMLINS) original score to the beloved 1987 Warner Bros. sci-fi/action-adventure/comedy INNERSPACE, starring Dennis Quaid, Martin Short, Meg Ryan and directed by Joe Dante. Goldsmith’s classic mix of synth and orchestra finds the perfect pitch of suspense, adventure and romance to propel Dante’s wonderfully off-beat genre mash-up. Produced by MV Gerhard and Mike Matessino, and remastered by Mike Matessino from WB vault elements (LCR taken off the 2" 24-track analog reels mixed to stereo and approved by Bruce Botnick), this definitive release of INNERSPACE features more than 50 minutes of previously unreleased music, and includes exclusive, in-depth liner notes by Dan Goldwasser and Jeff Bond (with new interview comments from Joe Dante and others). Limited Edition of 3000 Units.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Main Title 2:15
    2. Take Him Home/Broken Toe 1:48
    3. Tell Me About It 2:17
    4. State of the Art/The Charge 6:55
    5. Gas Attack 4:52
    6. The Injection 2:12
    7. The Hand/Fat Cells 1:00
    8. Woman in Red 2:36
    9. What Is It? 1:09
    10. Optic Nerves 4:00
    11. Take It Easy/It’s True 2:18
    12. No Messenger 2:41
    13. No Pain 1:57
    14. User Friendly 1:40
    15. A Close Look 1:34
    16. The Cowboy 1:00
    17. Hold It 3:42
    18. For the Money/A New Man 3:39
    19. How Do I Look?/Save It 1:45
    20. Transformed 3:02
    21. Retransformed 2:52
    22. Where Am I? 2:12
    23. The Womb 4:39
    24. Fair Exchange 2:05
    25. Stop the Car 5:58
    26. Out of the Pod 3:55
    27. Disengage 3:00
    28. No Red Lights 1:18
    Total Time: 78:31
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I remember owning the INNERSPACE soundtrack once, and while I liked several of the songs, I didn't care much for Goldsmith's score, to be honest. It just didn't seem to go anywhere. It was just....there. So I put it on the sales list for a measly $5, not knowing how much it was worth at the time. I think I got about 20 replies in half an hour, and it was only later I learned what I COULD have taken for it. Oh well, you learn as long as you live. As you've probably gathered by now, I'll have to pass, but this time not only because of the C&C presentation, but also because I'm not a big fan of the music itself.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Watermelons!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Watermelons!

-Erik-

Yeah, and this one's rotten too!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I feel the same about the score, Thor. I've heard it several times, and it doesn't really do much for me. I do love the movie though, very entertaining and funny.

I do think the last minute of "Let's get small" is pretty cool actually: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_eO9OJw3Rc

And 7:26 in this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toijBOgFRdY

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Completely agree with Peter here: a funny movie with a mediocre score.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I always thought this was a 'must have' score but upon a recent viewing of the film I took a lot of notice in the score and have decided I can give this a miss.
  3. shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

Just saw this, I was expecting some sort of Internet breakdown, but no... I'm buying this if only for the fun factor of it all even if it's far from being a truly great Goldsmith. At least I'm 200% confident I'll have a great time listening to this. Thanks Lalaland. beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I've said this in previous threads but I think the original commercial album gives you the best presentation of the score. To the hard core Goldsmith fan this is a must but if you want to filter out a lot of the uninteresting cues... and there are many... the original Geffen Records album does that perfectly for you. However, in saying that I am interested to hear the remastering job. I was never all that fond of the recording so hopefully the engineers over at La La Land have worked their magic.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  4. But ... but ... even the uninteresting cues are cool to listen to IMO. I don't know it's that trademark synthy percussive style that I adore so much, which is why I love his 80s output the most.

Well at least this won't be going sold-out fast I guess.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    DreamTheater wrote
    But ... but ... even the uninteresting cues are cool to listen to IMO. I don't know it's that trademark synthy percussive style that I adore so much, which is why I love his 80s output the most.

Well at least this won't be going sold-out fast I guess.

I'm not sure I will buy this score. That synthy percussion is always a hit or miss for me. It depends of the score. I was listening to Bill Conti's The Right Stuff yesterday and the cues with the synth percussion are so different from the rest of the score that, for me, it disturbs the listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Tintin wrote
    I was listening to Bill Conti's The Right Stuff yesterday and the cues with the synth percussion are so different from the rest of the score that, for me, it disturbs the listening experience.

Indeed! That synth arrangment of the theme is truly AWFUL!

-Erik-
  5. wow, Christmas has definitely come to town

WANT, WANT, WANT
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthortimme
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    What a week this is! First Back To The Future 2cd set and now one of my last holy grails, INNERSPACE. Can't wait for next tuesday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2009
    Erik Woods wrote
    Tintin wrote
    I was listening to Bill Conti's The Right Stuff yesterday and the cues with the synth percussion are so different from the rest of the score that, for me, it disturbs the listening experience.

Indeed! That synth arrangment of the theme is truly AWFUL!

-Erik-

The infamous Goldsmith synth farts. I guess they're an integral part of his whole, spectacular anyway, music life, but personally i wish that he never even discovered those smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.