• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009
    Just as listeners' opinions are varied so are reviewers' opinions.

Very difficult if not impossible task.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Maybe I should start a blog or something and review the likes of Legend, Papillon, Under Fire, etc? Because I'm not sure I'd give them 5-stars combined.

This can't go unnoticed. Explain yourself. Immediately.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    By my reckoning those three are an easy 15 stars combined. Absolute Goldsmith brilliance!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    By my reckoning those three are an easy 15 stars combined. Absolute Goldsmith brilliance!

If your in love with most of what Goldsmith did.
    Thomas
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009 edited
    I wouldn't say that Tom, there are a lot of JG scores I own that I rarely return to.

My list of 5 star Goldsmith scores goes like this...

Star Trek The Motion Picture
    The Final Conflict
    Total Recall
    Under Fire
    Papillon
    Chinatown
    Poltergeist
    The Wind And The Lion
    Alien
    Planet of The Apes
    The Blue Max
    Patton

In retrospect I've marked down LEGEND to 4.5 because of a few annoying synthy moments.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Same here Timmer, there are many Goldsmith scores I rarely-to-never listen to. I love Goldsmith because I love the scores, not the scores because I love Goldsmith.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    That makes three of us then
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    There are a lot of Goldsmith scores I never return to either. But the list of ones I do return to is almost certainly greater than any other composer's - which is why I always name him as my favourite, I guess!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    That would be the most logical reason we have favourite composers... unless they managed to save your cat from a burning fire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2009 edited
    A list!!! great!

1-Total Recall
    2-First Knight
    3-Basic Insticnt
    4-Star trek
    5-13th Warrior
    6-Medicine man
    7-Ghost and the dakness
    8-Mulan
    9-Legend
    10-Rambo
    11-Alien.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like Goldsmith very much. I wouldn't have 40-something CD's of his if I didn't. However, I'm FAR from a completist, and I've owned quite a few more soundtracks that I've since sold or traded away because I didn't fancy them to the extent that I had thought, even after numerous chances: HOLLOW MAN, THE HAUNTING, POWDER, CONGO, THE RIVER WILD, SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY, INNERSPACE, KING SOLOMON'S MINES, EXPLORERS, SUPERGIRL, THE SECRET OF NIMH, MACARTHUR, LOGAN'S RUN, HAWKINS ON MURDER/WINTER KILL/BABE, RANSOM and THE BLUE MAX. Wow, quite a few now that I list them up like this.

I still have a couple of Goldsmiths on my sales list (BANDOLERO! and THE OMEN, although the latter is more on there because I want to replace it with the new and remastered version).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2009
    RENT-A-COP

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 108
    Date: 1987
    Tracks: 22
    Time = 51:31

World premiere release of complete score for Jerry London private detective thriller with Burt Reynolds, Liza Minnelli, James Remar. Jerry Goldsmith produced somewhat brief original 1988 album for Intrada, deleted much action music from final reels of movie, focused on romantic theme for piano & strings. (Gorgeous melody was admittedly a favorite of composer.) New release includes all previously unreleased cues plus two Christmas tunes heard early in film, recorded by Goldsmith, arranged by co-orchestrator Nancy Beach. Amongst several highlights are haunting solo trumpet line for lone cop Reynolds (a Goldsmith trademark) plus brief, exciting "Flash Bomb" sequence that brings killer Dancer (James Remar) to a vivid end! Entire CD mastered directly from digital two-track stereo masters mixed at CBS Studios in London. Jerry Goldsmith conducts. Intrada Special Collection release limited to 3000 copies!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6314/.f
    •  
      CommentAuthorkeky
    Southall wrote
    RENT-A-COP

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 108
    Date: 1987
    Tracks: 22
    Time = 51:31

World premiere release of complete score for Jerry London private detective thriller with Burt Reynolds, Liza Minnelli, James Remar. Jerry Goldsmith produced somewhat brief original 1988 album for Intrada, deleted much action music from final reels of movie, focused on romantic theme for piano & strings. (Gorgeous melody was admittedly a favorite of composer.) New release includes all previously unreleased cues plus two Christmas tunes heard early in film, recorded by Goldsmith, arranged by co-orchestrator Nancy Beach. Amongst several highlights are haunting solo trumpet line for lone cop Reynolds (a Goldsmith trademark) plus brief, exciting "Flash Bomb" sequence that brings killer Dancer (James Remar) to a vivid end! Entire CD mastered directly from digital two-track stereo masters mixed at CBS Studios in London. Jerry Goldsmith conducts. Intrada Special Collection release limited to 3000 copies!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6314/.f

Oh, the sound-clips sound sooooo cheesy!... So, I guess, I can pass on this one! (Thank God, considering my financial situation...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Since I'm a Goldsmith freak I bought it.

Then this morning I thought, I haven't listened to that for years, let's see what it's like. And it's awful.

Oops.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Yeah, I had the LP ( it was a casualty of a burglary many years ago ) and hated it, missing this is a no-brainer for me.
  1. I remember having heard the first release a while ago
    wasn't all too impressed
    so I'll pass ... for now
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009
    I.Q. / SECONDS: LIMITED EDITION
    LLLCD 1109
    Music by Jerry Goldsmith
    Limited Edition of 3000 Units

SHIPPING OCT. 16th
    RETAIL PRICE: $19.98

ORDER "I.Q. / SECONDS: LIMITED EDITION" NOW from www.lalalandrecords.com

Film composer great Jerry Goldsmith (PATTON, THE OMEN, GREMLINS, FIRST BLOOD) takes us on an emotional, musical journey through the light and dark realms of science with this limited edition release of two of his previously unreleased scores from Paramount Pictures -- I.Q. (1994), starring Meg Ryan, Walter Matthau and Tim Robbins, directed by Fred Schepisi and SECONDS (1966), starring Rock Hudson, Murray Hamilton, directed by John Frankenheimer. This CD, produced by Dan Goldwasser, was mastered by Mike Matessino from Paramount Pictures vault elements. The 20-Page CD Booklet features in-depth liner notes by Jeff Bond, bringing you behind-the-music of both orchestral scores -- film music that boldly demonstrates the brilliant talent and versatility of one of the medium's most beloved composers. This is a limited edition of 3000 Units.

ABOUT THIS RELEASE:

Jerry Goldsmith's I.Q. was mastered from a combination of 2-track and 3-track mixes from the Paramount vault. Mastered by Michael Matessino, the music - recorded in 1994 - was recent enough to not require any restoration work, but it went through a careful EQ and clean-up process. Regarding SECONDS, the only source available from the studio vaults were mono 35mm music stems off of the original film. Because this three-channel split source contained dialogue, music and sound effects, there was a bit of bleed onto the music tracks. While many of the music cues were clean and easily mastered, the few cues with faint dialogue bleed had exacting and respectful clean-up work done on them to make the music as presentable as possible. Since we did not want to lose any of Goldsmith's precious, much-demanded music, there is still some bleed present in a few of the bonus tracks, but these tracks have been restored to the best quality possible given the source material.

TRACK LISTING:

I.Q.
    1. Campus Morning* (1:56)
    2. Fundamental Order* / First Sight /
    Chance / Craps (3:00)
    3. The Riders (1:23)
    4. The Watch / I Fixed It (1:20)
    5. Ideas / Dress Up (1:44)
    6. The Lecture (1:29)
    7. Count the Stars* (2:07)
    8. First Exam (1:20)
    9. Signals (2:20)
    10. Equations** / A Little Smile* (1:02)
    11. Caged Fun (1:15)
    12. I Really Do (1:08)
    13. Years Ago / Practice (1:10)
    14. Don't Panic (2:29)
    15. April Fool (1:01)
    16. The Compass (2:22)
    17. Wahoo / End Credits* (6:23)

I.Q. BONUS TRACKS
    18. Dress Up (alternate) (1:36)
    19. Wahoo (with extension) (3:06)

I.Q. TOTAL SCORE TIME: 38:00
    * contains "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star"
    ** not used in film

SECONDS
    20. Main Title (3:00)
    21. 39 Lafayette Street (2:17)
    22. Quiet Isolation (2:14)
    23. Nightmare (2:50)
    24. Transformation (1:56)
    25. Rehabilitation / Strange Arrival (2:16)
    26. Restless Hours (2:53)
    27. Reflections (1:59)
    28. Begin Again / Peaceful Aftermath (2:24)
    29. End Title (1:15)

SECONDS BONUS TRACKS
    30. Quiet Isolation (contains dialogue bleed) (2:27)
    31. Restless Hours (contains dialogue bleed) (3:12)
    32. Peaceful Aftermath (contains source) (0:52)
    33. Begin Again (contains dialogue bleed) (1:44)

SECONDS TOTAL SCORE TIME: 31:13

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 69:13
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009
    This will please a LOT of Goldsmith fans ( just check the FSM forum ) and will sell out very fast.

But without my help! Not my cup of JG I'm afraid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    This will please a LOT of Goldsmith fans ( just check the FSM forum ) and will sell out very fast.

But without my help! Not my cup of JG I'm afraid.

Same here. Of course, if you'd said that on FSM, you'd been strung upside-down in tar and feather!

And of course, just for that I had to go over there and post the exact same sentiment! devil wink
    I am extremely serious.
  2. I've never gotten what the big F'in deal is over "I.Q.". I kept hearing all these nice things about it, tracked down the bootleg, listened to it ... boring! Bland, nothing special, forgettable, not one of his best or one of his second best works.

"Seconds" I have not heard.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2009
    Yeah, the sound clips for IQ sound positively atrocious. The second and third clips from Seconds sound great, though...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    IQ is a perfect score for the film, but I'm not convinced I would want to hear it away from it. Not familiar with Seconds at all. Hopefully this will still be available when I return from France on Friday.
  3. Seconds sounds really interesting. But I'm not sure it's interesting enough to get. I.Q. doesn't sound too interesting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    There's an orchestral version of Happy Birthday for the end titles. That just about says it all...
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009 edited
    Forget about "IQ". "Seconds" is the real masterpiece in this release. Ignore the fact that "Seconds" is the second score on this release, it's second to none.

Watch this, put it full screen and turn up the volume as high as possible.

Peter shocked
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2009
    It's a very creepy score and it works perfectly in the film ( an interesting film to say the least ) but it just isn't something that I'm going to play!

If it had been released 15-20 years ago I'd have immediately bought it and after that first listening it would now have gathered 15-20 years of dust.
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    I'm not usually into thriller n scary scores either, Timmer, but "Seconds" is something special. It has a golden age quality to is, is super atmospheric and highly listenable all the way through. It's about high time it got a proper release.

Peter punk
  4. IQ is one of the more charming scores, but not exactly Goldmith's Best
    But considering the crap of today, it is goddamn masterpiece
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    plindboe wrote
    I'm not usually into thriller n scary scores either, Timmer, but "Seconds" is something special. It has a golden age quality to is, is super atmospheric and highly listenable all the way through. It's about high time it got a proper release.

Peter punk

I'm happy for those that want it and I sincerely hope it sells well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2009
    It could already be on low quantity alert as I'm typing