• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009
    Southall wrote
    I enjoy King Solomon's Mines but it's not one of Goldsmith's best, I don't think. Not sure the leitmotif style was one he was comfortable with (he rarely used it other than here).

Mmm...I think he used the leitmotif style a lot in his 90's scores. Am I wrong?
  1. Simple motifs for action, yes, but they weren't leitmotivic I think. They had a more straight-forward use than a leitmotif, at least from some time Goldsmith didn't quite use too much counterpoint. If you want leitmotif in most recent scores try Howard Shore and his LotR and look at the development there. Goldsmith went pretty much more straightforward with it.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    @ Southall: But you gave it 4 and a half stars? That in my book counts as one of the best.

The thing I love most about KSM is the sense of unrelenting rhythm. In nearly every cue there's an rhythmic section that's incredibly addictive, and coupled with his thematic expertise makes for one of his most fun albums. Best track = 'Forced Flight'. punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    @ Southall: But you gave it 4 and a half stars? That in my book counts as one of the best.

The thing I love most about KSM is the sense of unrelenting rhythm. In nearly every cue there's an rhythmic section that's incredibly addictive, and coupled with his thematic expertise makes for one of his most fun albums. Best track = 'Forced Flight'. punk

Bugger. I keep forgetting whether I like things or not. OK, perhaps I did like it then.

Jordi, I don't think any of his 90s scores were leitmotivic. He came up with little motifs and used them throughout scores, but not in that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Oh, I see. That's Why I read your reviews , James. Because i can learn a lot from them while I'm having fun.

So, 13 warrior is not leitmotivic?

PS: Less when you are saying about all Zimmer scores they could be from Peacemaker. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    So, 13 warrior is not leitmotivic?

I don't think so - he didn't come up with specific motifs to represent characters. More a case of "action motif" and "adventure motif" and "danger motif" etc, which he could use in a much more fluid way. Using leitmotif strictly can be very restricting and it takes a really skilful composer to pull it off. Williams wasn't too strict in the Star Wars series - even though that's usually taken as the pinnacle of the leitmotif approach to film scoring, he took several liberties, which made for better scores. Howard Shore in LOTR on the other hand was much stricter, which is why the scores can drag a bit. It's technically sound using the Fellowship motif every three minutes in the first film, but I found it really very tiresome in the film and could never listen to the complete release, for that reason. There's only so much the average listener can take of hearing the same few notes repeated without variation. You almost get that in Empire Strikes Back, with almost every track featuring The Imperial March, but Williams does enough with it to prevent it being a problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009 edited
    Agree with LOTR thing.

When you wrotte posts like these, you really gives me orgasmic sensations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    Agree with LOTR thing.

I'm very pleased to hear that!
  2. shocked

James. RUN!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    shocked

James. RUN!

Yeah, remember, he plays his flute!
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  3. not even HIS flute, but WITH his flute lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    PawelStroinski wrote
    not even HIS flute, but WITH his flute lol

lol

Thats what I call to specify.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  4. How can a forum discussion evolve from a talk about leitmotifs to 'playing with one's flute'?

Only on MainTitles haha. biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. DreamTheater wrote
    How can a forum discussion evolve from a talk about leitmotifs to 'playing with one's flute'?

Only on MainTitles haha. biggrin

and for once, I'm not part of it woopheee beer
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Agree with LOTR thing.

Sounds like pleasure all round!

Great leitmotif scores of recent times that come to mind: One Night with the King (J A C Redford), Moby Dick (Christopher Gordon), Return of the King (Howard Shore), The Golden Compass (Alexandre Desplat), Troy (Gabriel Yared) ...
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    And just because I don't like it shouldn't matter at all. The important thing is if you like it
    thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Agree with LOTR thing.

Great leitmotif scores of recent times that come to mind: One Night with the King (J A C Redford), Moby Dick (Christopher Gordon), Return of the King (Howard Shore), The Golden Compass (Alexandre Desplat), Troy (Gabriel Yared) ...

At world's End...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Nautilus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Agree with LOTR thing.

At world's End...

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Desplat does seem to use the leitmotif. Benjamin Button is another one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    franz_conrad wrote
    Southall wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Agree with LOTR thing.

At world's End...

lol

Seriusly, each character from this trilogy has his own theme, and they are very well presented (if not devoloped for the previous 2 mediocre scores)

Davey Jones, Lord beckett, Tia Dalma/Calypso, Barbossa, Jack Sparrow (3 or 4 themes), will and Elizabeth, the pirates, Will's father..even the ships (the flying dutchman). and they are not 1 note or 2 notes motifs...
  7. Zimmer and leitmotifs? lol indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Zimmer and leitmotifs? lol indeed.

It just requires deep thought and a thorough understanding of counterpoint.
  8. sdtom wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Zimmer and leitmotifs? lol indeed.

It just requires deep thought and a thorough understanding of counterpoint.

And produces: a two-note theme. The counterpoint, I guess, is the other half of the "theme" tongue
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    Thinking about what score I like most ...or Secret of the Nimh or Legend.

One of them leaves the synths in the wardrobe but the other one has the good themes.
  9. For me, The Secret of NIMH, without hesitation.

And NIMH doesn't have good themes??? Go listen to it some more buddy. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I can't help you with which one you like most, Nautilus, but I know which one I like most. The Secret of NIMH is quite brilliant, with soaring themes and spectacularly detailed composition. But Legend is a step beyond, truly spectacular and I think one of the most awe-inspiring film scores there's ever been. Goldsmith put his heart and soul into that one and it paid off (though not for him, seeing it dumped from the American release and completely messed-around with even in the European version). I've said before, I think after that Goldsmith - while of course remaining completely professional - never quite "went the extra mile" to that extent again. Having seen himself toil so hard over something only for it to be replaced by something an intelligent six-year-old with a keyboard could put together in a day or two, apparently because that's what audiences wanted, made him wonder why he bothered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009 edited
    I think NIMH is a huge bore, to be honest; directionless jumble that is more grating than pleasing. I sold my CD about a year ago, after having given it lots of chances.

LEGEND fares better. However, it is frequently ruined by those annoying synth stingers that just drain the magic out of what could have been a Debussy-ian masterpiece.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Thor wrote
    I think NIMH is a huge bore, to be honest; directionless jumble that is more grating than pleasing. I sold my CD about a year ago, after having given it lots of chances.

Once again Thor, your reasoning defies all sense of logic. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    LEGEND fares better. However, it is frequently ruined by those annoying synth stingers that just drain the magic out of what could have been a Debussy-ian masterpiece.

And with those synth stingers is became a Goldsmith-ian masterpiece!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor wrote

And with those synth stingers is became a Goldsmith-ian masterpiece!

-Erik-

It's quite alright in the film, but I do this everytime they pop on on the soundtrack -> crazy . Sad that such a potential masterpiece was wasted this way. I never understood why Goldsmith dabbled in synths, a medium he never understood or handled.
    I am extremely serious.