• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2009
    Steven wrote
    Have you seen The Mummy? (The complete score has some gems, many of which weren't included on the official album.)

I have indeed seen the film. And I remember liking the score more in the film than on the album. Most of what I hear on the album just isn't that enjoyable to me.
  1. William, I empathize with you. Goldsmith is someone I still have a lot to hear from and someone that I haven't held in quite as high praise as most do, but if it's gorgeous lush melody you're looking for I have some suggestions for scores that I have really liked. Rudy has a BEAUTIFUL main theme and a very cool theme for the actual football seens. It's my favorite score of his. Also check out First Knight. I think you might really enjoy that. Have you heard "The Trees" from The Medicine Man? Or the main theme from Powder? "Welcome to Tsavo" from The Ghost and the Darkness is another track that I think is just stirringly beautiful. Another you might try, while not so sweeping or "lush" is his score for Under Fire. This is a really fun listen and has some really cool stuff, including one theme for pan flute that you'll never get out of your head again. Maybe you've already heard all of these, but if you haven't, you might try them next.
  2. william -- reasons to love Goldsmith, thanks to YouTube:

Mulan: "OVerature":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMRZuJwqEHo

Capricorn One: "Bedtime Story":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeuD6qXz9gU

Judge Dredd (trailer music, done when he was still goign to do the score [Silvestri ended up doing it]):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NXOWn4f2ts
    (re-recording)

Star Tre V: The Final Frontier: "Main Title / The Mountain":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2iUHRBg-5E

Rudy: "Tryouts"(?) (isn't this the one where after it was done being played, all the musicians stood up and cheered and clapped for five minutes until the contractor had them stop, but then they did it again for ten minutes?):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5L0ThLloD8

Explorers: "Construction":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36SgQunezU

Air Force One: "Hyjacking":
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhkXcfjw … mp;index=2
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    Well, if you don't like Goldsmith's music, you don't like Goldsmith's music. That's absolutely fine.

But statements like 'didn't find much interesting in First Contact, hated The Mummy, and found Star Trek: The Motion Picture to be not all that bad' and 'I can't stand the main theme of Insurrection, nor am I able to recall anything from The Mummy. I'm more for lush, sweeping melodies' really do boggle the mind! (Especially when you've explained exactly what those scores are, yet seem to think they're not. dizzy)

Well, I truthfully do not like Insurrection's main theme. That's an honest fact. I haven't heard Star Trek: The Motion Picture in awhile, though I do remember liking some of it. And I need a few more listens to The Mummy.

shocked

Well, it could be a LOT WORSE, you could have said this over at FSM where it would have been the equivalent of dipping a bloody skinned sheep carcus into a piranha infested river.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    William wrote
    Steven wrote
    Well, if you don't like Goldsmith's music, you don't like Goldsmith's music. That's absolutely fine.

But statements like 'didn't find much interesting in First Contact, hated The Mummy, and found Star Trek: The Motion Picture to be not all that bad' and 'I can't stand the main theme of Insurrection, nor am I able to recall anything from The Mummy. I'm more for lush, sweeping melodies' really do boggle the mind! (Especially when you've explained exactly what those scores are, yet seem to think they're not. dizzy)

Well, I truthfully do not like Insurrection's main theme. That's an honest fact. I haven't heard Star Trek: The Motion Picture in awhile, though I do remember liking some of it. And I need a few more listens to The Mummy.

shocked

Well, it could be a LOT WORSE, you could have said this over at FSM where it would have been the equivalent of dipping a bloody skinned sheep carcus into a piranha infested river.

biggrin
  3. Did any of those sound clips persuade you, william?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2009
    So... Intrada released In Harm's Way... just when you thought it was safe to go back to the bank. What Goldsmith scores does this compare to?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    fommes wrote
    So... Intrada released In Harm's Way... just when you thought it was safe to go back to the bank. What Goldsmith scores does this compare to?

I used to have it on LP but hardly ever played it....in fact, I'm not the right person to ask, not that you asked me personally but..........

I'll get my coat
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. fommes wrote

haven't heard this one as well. The clips are nice, but to call it one of his best?
    Am still thinking about it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    fommes wrote

I'd say it's a bit like a (much, much) less complex version of The Sand Pebbles. There are several minutes of source music on the 35-minute album, a few low-key introspective pieces, and some impressive action tracks. It's an important Goldsmith score for sure (it was by far the biggest film he had scored up to that point) but not one I listen to very often.
  5. Southall wrote
    fommes wrote

I'd say it's a bit like a (much, much) less complex version of The Sand Pebbles. There are several minutes of source music on the 35-minute album, a few low-key introspective pieces, and some impressive action tracks. It's an important Goldsmith score for sure (it was by far the biggest film he had scored up to that point) but not one I listen to very often.

I'll pass on this one, some bigger better Goldsmith scores have yet to appear, and those I want wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    fommes wrote

I'll pass on this one, some bigger better Goldsmith scores have yet to appear, and those I want wink

Which ones?

My biggest unreleased Goldsmith 'want' is The List of Adrian Messenger.
  6. Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    fommes wrote

Which ones?

That I haven't heard yet

My wanted albums are: Gladiator (Rejected)
    Innerspace of course wink
    Gremlins of course tongue
    Damnation Alley

and propper releases of stuff like First Knight, Small Soldiers and several that feature bad sound (QBVII most definitely)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Some good ones Thomas, to QB VII I would add the fantastic score to MASADA which has appalling sound and is in dire need of a deluxe treatment.
  7. Timmer wrote
    Some good ones Thomas, to QB VII I would add the fantastic score to MASADA which has appalling sound and is in dire need of a deluxe treatment.

indeed, it would be wonderful to hear such extraordinary music in good quality soon smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Southall wrote
    fommes wrote

Which ones?

Mine too. A faintly ridiculous, but very enjoyable film, enlivened by a GREAT score. The fox hunt cue is a bona fide Goldsmith classic, one of his top five pieces I would suggest. This score is seriously in need of releasing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Indeed INDEEDY! One of those scores that has been rumoured many a time but to no avail. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Timmer wrote
    I'll get my coat

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2009
    Timmer wrote

Which version do you listen to? The promo, which is about 50 minutes long and has 17 tracks of Goldsmith's score, hasn't got particularly good sound quality. The Varese album on the other-hand, the 37 minute 9 track album, has perfectly fine sound quality. Which would allude me to believe you either have the promo or the official album with scratches on it? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

Which version do you listen to? The promo, which is about 50 minutes long and has 17 tracks of Goldsmith's score, hasn't got particularly good sound quality. The Varese album on the other-hand, the 37 minute 9 track album, has perfectly fine sound quality. Which would allude me to believe you either have the promo or the official album with scratches on it? confused

I've never had a problem with the Varese CD either. And indeed I much prefer the music on it to the "promo" - re-recorded to make a better listening experience. Wonderful.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Timmer wrote

I have the Varese album complete with hissing sound. It doesn't sound as good as the old LP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Or bootleg.
    Hell I dunno!? Promo, bootleg... s'all the same to me! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Or bootleg.

Mine is a bought CD, Varese. It sounds to me like it's in serious need of a clean up. Both you and James say it sounds great, ehhh??? confused
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Timmer wrote

indeed, it would be wonderful to hear such extraordinary music in good quality soon smile

Just to point out I'm not alone on this.

What do others think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Timmer wrote
    Steven wrote
    Or bootleg.

Mine is a bought CD, Varese. It sounds to me like it's in serious need of a clean up. Both you and James say it sounds great, ehhh??? confused

Not great, but I've never had a problem with it. It's worth pointing out that I am no audiophile, especially by the standards of most people around here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2009
    So... What is the best score: In Harm's Way or Lonely Are the Brave?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009
    FSM releases a Goldsmith tv score I've never even heard of - Cain's Hundred.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12700
  8. Southall wrote
    FSM releases a Goldsmith tv score I've never even heard of - Cain's Hundred.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12700

never heard of it
    they better release something else instead tongue
  9. TUCK PENDLETON and his AMAZING MINIATURE ADVENTURES.

Don't worry bud, after they're done with Horner, they'll give this a good treatment.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. UMMM?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website