• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Dammit, I'll write it tomorrow. A whole analytic post got erased sad

Ooh, never write a long analytic post in the 'add your comments' box. Always write it in a word program first! dizzy

Not that that advice is a lot of help now...
  1. I always do a Ctrl-C before submitting a long post, on the rare occasions that happens.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009
    INTRADA Announces:

ONE LITTLE INDIAN
    Music Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 97

The 1973 live-action western One Little Indian features James Garner as Corporal Clint Keyes, a deserter from the Union Army who’s on the run from the man ordered to hang him. After a short-lived horse chase, Keyes is captured and brought to an army outpost where Keyes’ execution is to take place. While Keyes is being held, a group of Cheyenne prisoners is brought in, including a young boy (Clay O’Brien) dubbed Mark, who is discovered to be a white youth captured in an earlier raid. Mark escapes and Keyes breaks out himself, hooking up with Mark after procuring a couple of camels who are AWOL from the U.S. Camel Corps. While in continual pursuit, Keyes develops a grudging friendship with both Mark and the two camels, eventually encountering a widow (Vera Miles) and her daughter (Jodie Foster), whom Keyes tries to convince to take Mark into their family.

One Little Indian was the first of a handful of projects Jerry Goldsmith composed for Walt Disney Studios. Goldsmith wrote a full-blooded, energetic Western score for the film, including an exciting main title which is as exciting as any Western score he ever produced, featuring scratcher combs and plucked string chords, and the plunking of bass electric guitar harkening right out of mid-‘60s Westerns like The Loner. The piece features an explosive treatment of the main character's straightforward theme, accompanied by a boisterous counterline, establishing a bold, exciting sense of adventure. If there’s a Disney touch to the score, it’s in Goldsmith’s sometimes sly, often brash approach to the physical comedy in the film and, in particular, the incongruous presence of the two camels that Keyes and Mark wind up riding. For Keyes’s camel Rosie, Goldsmith has a sitar play the familiar first five notes of Maurice Jarre’s Lawrence of Arabia theme, and he provides a rambunctious, muted cornet tune for the animals. It all comes together into one of Goldsmith's most adventurous, spirited scores of the 70s and one of his strongest Western efforts.

For this album, Bruce Botnick carefully transferred the 2" 24-tracks music elements from the Disney vaults to present the first ever release of the complete score to One Little Indian in flawless stereo sound.

INTRADA Special Collection - Volume 97
    Retail Price: 19.99
    AVAILABLE April 16
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6009/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A fantastic release from Intrada

One Little Indian

cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Looks like you beat me to it by seconds Erik smile beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. Somebody get in here and clarify the worth of this release, pronto. I'll be damned if I'm going to buy my seventh Goldsmith western (or whatever I'm up to) on the strength of Intrada's calculated selling language. Seriously, is there any western score sold in the last 10 years that wasn't 'full-blooded'? What does a 'half-blooded' western score even mean? wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    franz_conrad wrote
    Somebody get in here and clarify the worth of this release, pronto. I'll be damned if I'm going to buy my seventh Goldsmith western (or whatever I'm up to) on the strength of Intrada's calculated selling language. Seriously, is there any western score sold in the last 10 years that wasn't 'full-blooded'? What does a 'half-blooded' western score even mean? wink

Indeed! beer

Anyway, I loved the clips and have ordered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009 edited
    Never heard of it. Looks interesting!

I was hoping Intrada could get Mulan released next as now it seems they have at least some access to Disney scores. Maybe it'll come at some point too! biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    I have very few JG scores and none of his westerns. The clips do sound nice but the quieter moments make me want to wait for a while to decide.

The Baxter cd on the other hand is chock-full of interesting stuff spin But $25 for 1 cd sad cry
    •  
      CommentAuthormoonie
    biggrin
    Goldsmith Rules!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    franz_conrad wrote
    Somebody get in here and clarify the worth of this release, pronto. I'll be damned if I'm going to buy my seventh Goldsmith western (or whatever I'm up to) on the strength of Intrada's calculated selling language. Seriously, is there any western score sold in the last 10 years that wasn't 'full-blooded'? What does a 'half-blooded' western score even mean? wink

Listen to the clip of "Hot Fire" - if that ain't full-blooded, I don't know what is!
  3. That must be why they made a clip of it. wink
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Well, quite. Some of the rest didn't sound all that thrilling to me. But then I hate judging a score based on clips - it can never give a good impression of what the album's like. I ordered this one anyway (I don't think there's a Goldsmith western score I don't like) but if the description of the main theme as his best for a western is anythiing to go on then I won't believe their hype. (Nice though it is, it doesn't sound like it's in the same league as 100 Rifles, Take a Hard Ride, Wild Rovers, Hour of the Gun or Rio Conchos.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    "Hot Fire" sounds very fun indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nice release, but not that interesting to me. Pass.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Never heard of it. Looks interesting!

I was hoping Intrada could get Mulan released next as now it seems they have at least some access to Disney scores. Maybe it'll come at some point too! biggrin

I'd hope so?

Along with....

Ron Goodwin - One of Our Dinosaurs Is Missing

Henry Mancini's - Condorman

and the holy grail....

John Barry - The Black Hole

I can only hope.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Have I mentioned Lion King yet? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Have I mentioned Lion King yet? wink

Depends if anyone is keeping count? Personally I can't count that far!? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Let's pray that tiny crack Intrada has made in the Great Wall of Disney widens over the course of time! wink biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Let's pray that tiny crack Intrada has made in the Great Wall of Disney widens over the course of time! wink biggrin

explode <--Great Wall of Disney
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    bunny
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    And may we see Horner's The Journey Of Natty Gann realeased from the vaults also! lick
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Atham wrote
    And may we see Horner's The Journey Of Natty Gann realeased from the vaults also! lick

Plus The Black Cauldron by Bernstein? Must haves will come thick and fast.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Yes, Black Cauldron! I love that score lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    JERRY GOLDSMITH’S QUINTESSENTIAL TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE ARRIVES ON CD

The fantasy anthology film yields a rich, diverse score from the great composer, now presented complete for the first time by Film Score Monthly

Linden, VA – April 14, 2009 – You’re traveling through another dimension... That’s the signpost up ahead – your next stop, Jerry Goldsmith’s Twilight Zone: The Movie, one of his greatest sci-fi/fantasy scores now on CD in complete form from Film Score Monthly.

Twilight Zone: The Movie was the 1983 anthology film inspired by the classic Rod Serling TV series, and no composer was better suited to score the big-screen adaptation than Jerry Goldsmith. By the early 1980s Goldsmith was a master in every genre of film, from intimate dramas to large-scale adventures, but he was particularly noted for his landmark scores for science fiction: Planet of the Apes, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Alien and more – including 1981's Poltergeist (for Twilight Zone: The Movie producer and co-director Steven Spielberg), and the original Twilight Zone series, for which Goldsmith scored classic episodes like “The Invaders.”

With massive technical ability at his disposal, and an unerring gift for drama and melody, Goldsmith wrote brilliant accompaniment for the four segments of Twilight Zone: The Movie, blending the intimate and epic, traditional and modern:

“Time Out,” directed by John Landis and starring Vic Morrow as a bigot facing just desserts, features an astringent, percussive score not unlike Goldsmith’s efforts from the original Twilight Zone TV series.

“Kick the Can,” directed by Steven Spielberg, features a magical, emotional score brimming with warmth as the residents of a retirement home discover an unlikely Fountain of Youth.

“It’s a Good Life,” directed by Joe Dante, spotlights an all-powerful boy who has kidnapped adults for companionship, including a bewildered schoolteacher (Kathleen Quinlan); Goldsmith’s haunting score blends a melancholy theme with ethereal impressionism and shrieking horror for Dante’s postmodern scares.

Finally, “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet,” directed by George Miller and starring John Lithgow as a terrified airline passenger who sees a monster on the wing, features brilliant psychological scoring with devilish moments (foreshadowing Goldsmith’s approach for Gremlins) and symphonic size.

Twilight Zone: The Movie was released on LP at the time of the film, a program since issued on CD in Japan and Germany. For the first time, FSM presents the complete, chronological score, with bonus tracks of the film’s songs (“Nights Are Forever,” by Goldsmith as featured on the LP, and “Anesthesia” by Joseph Williams, previously unreleased) plus album edits of relevant cues. The CD is carefully designed so that the LP sequence can be programmed, if so desired.

The complete score has been newly restored from the first-generation Warner Bros. masters by Mike Matessino in cooperation with Bruce Botnick, Goldsmith’s longtime recording engineer and colleague who has mastered this CD. Matessino and Jeff Bond provide the authoritative liner notes.

This quintessential Goldsmith masterwork is available now from Screen Archives Entertainment at www.screenarchives.com.

Check it out at http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=12234
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Mmmm... I remember owning the LP.
    Aside from the main theme, I wasn't blown away by it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    WANT. :grabby:
  4. ow, this kinda makes it easier to buy Goldsmith's One Little Indian

Because now, you can grab 2 Goldsmiths for the shipping of one wink

Twilight Zone
    While Nightmare at 20.000 feet is the most of all known (killer brassy stuff), the charm of Kick the Can is absolutely charming, it really enlightened that specific episode

Me Want Both wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Steven wrote

Wait. It's the same as the one I already have?
    Shut up me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Steven wrote
    Steven wrote

Wait. It's the same as the one I already have?
    Shut up me.

The same? It's the complete score which NOT the one you have unless you have some AWESOME sounding complete boot.

-Erik-