• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    Sand Pebbles has always been a score for me that offers a wonderful theme and some powerful underscore material.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    I'd personally push "Failed Knight" and the "King Richard" final track from Lionheart.

If the listener is into latino music I'd play a random track from Under Fire (I could never single out any one track that I prefer in there. I've tried)...

I'd also select the last track of Rudy, however if they show inclination toward the 80's sound, I'd pick Hoosiers instead.

If we have time I'd play the opening track from The Ghost and the Darkness to show his ethnic stuff.

Then I'd finish the program with "Ave Satani."

And then I'd play something from Prince of Darkness. To show them what "NOT Goldsmith" sound like. To make my point.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  1. This thread will explode simply by thinking about all the wonderful themes / tracks he has written...

But to introduce people to the wonderful world of Goldsmith, you'd do far worse than pick a selection from these:
    Lionheart (main theme)
    Rambo III (main theme)
    Basic Instinct (finale)
    Mulan (suite)
    First Knight (finale)
    Medicine Man (The Trees)
    Under Fire (Baja Fuego)
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture (main theme, Enterprise)
    Rudy (main theme)
    Powder (main theme)

I'm sure there's tons more but there you go... punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. I don´t even need a second: The Enterprise from Star Trek - The Motion Picture
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008 edited
    Here's just a handful of the "crowd pleasers" that I sometimes play for others to hear of which usually cause some kind of positive response:

Camel Chase - The Mummy
    Escape From Air Force One - Air Force One
    The Hanging - Bad Girls
    Square One (End Credits) - The 'Burbs
    Camelot Lives - First Knight
    End Title - The Great Train Robbery
    Rae's Arrival - Medicine Man
    Mushu to the Rescue - Mulan
    Assembly Line - Jerry Goldsmith
    First Contact - Star Trek: First Contact
    Vahalla: Viking Victory - The 13th Warrior

All very accessible, melodic pieces.
  3. Main Title from Masada.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I don´t even need a second: The Enterprise from Star Trek - The Motion Picture

BOOM!
    Right witcha!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    That is a good selection
  4. Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I don´t even need a second: The Enterprise from Star Trek - The Motion Picture

BOOM!
    Right witcha!

That too, of course smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Well yeah, if you wanna be obvious. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2008 edited
    Booooooooooooh to naysayers! Booooooooohouuu! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    Thanks for the recommendations. I am now trying to decide between First Blood Home Coming and First Blood It's a long road. I think I'll start the disc off with one of these so the opening track would make more sense. But I love the last track too! Aahhh...

Sometimes, when I want things to be perfect I can think about this forever. I collected many tracks already, almost done with that, but the order of tracks is not that easy. I want it to flow nicely.

I think I forgot to mention why I needed the track... I am making a compilation of favourite tracks by different composers. The discs will be for my family and friends so they can hear what I listen to. So the music has to be accessible and not too loud or not underscore and no action tracks. Just some nice themes put together.

Star Trek doesn't fit the rest of the tracks I think... too recognizable as Star Trek, if that makes sense?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008 edited
    Then I would put both Home Coming at the beginning and It´s a Long Road at the end. I know you want only one track per composer, but in this case, it makes sense if you really want to showcase what film music is about, about themes and playing with them. If they have any feeling for music, they will realise what you want to tell them there after the third or fourth play.

VERY interesting project. Would you mind giving us the complete list and order of the tracks you chose?

(Personally, I still would go for The Enterprise, it´s just too beautiful to be ignored, but if you have to use First Blood (which is a pretty good choice of its own), and only one track, I would definitely choose It´s a long road.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2008
    Interesting in the Discover Film Music compilation Alien was chosen from Goldsmith as his only selection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Then I would put both Home Coming at the beginning and It´s a Long Road at the end. I know you want only one track per composer, but in this case, it makes sense if you really want to showcase what film music is about, about themes and playing with them. If they have any feeling for music, they will realise what you want to tell them there after the third or fourth play.

VERY interesting project. Would you mind giving us the complete list and order of the tracks you chose?

(Personally, I still would go for The Enterprise, it´s just too beautiful to be ignored, but if you have to use First Blood (which is a pretty good choice of its own), and only one track, I would definitely choose It´s a long road.)

Hey, thanks for your reply. Yes, I will post the tracklist when I'm done, or when I need some more input or something.
    smile

I understand what you say about the opening and closing track. But I could think of many other scores to use both the opening and end track from. By the way, while I was doing this project I discovered how many of the chosen tracks are either excellent opening or closing tracks.

It's weird the criteria you think of when you try to make a compilation for people who are not into film music. Have you ever had the experience that you wanted to play some great film music for someone and then when it just started to get good (horns coming in, some percussion, things like that)... and then they turn the volume a bit down. That is such an anti-climax and I want to chose the kind of tracks that won't have that effect that people turn the volume a bit down if you know what I mean. And I'm afraid It's a long road will have that effect.
    dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008 edited
    I think you have to love filmmusic already to be able to enjoy those special moments you mention (or to even notice them). I know exactly what you´re talking about, though. You tell someone to listen to this fantastic piece of music, and just when it gets really great, they start to talk out of nowhere about something else, being totally oblivious to the music.

So yes, it´s annoying, and very hard to find tracks that will keep the attention of someone who doesn´t appreciate filmmusic.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I think you have to love filmmusic already to be able to enjoy those special moments you mention (or to even notice them). I know exactly what you´re talking about, though. You tell someone to listen to this fantastic piece of music, and just when it gets really great, they start to talk out of nowhere about something else, being totally oblivious to the music.

So yes, it´s annoying, and very hard to find tracks that will keep the attention of someone who doesn´t appreciate filmmusic.

Pump up the volume and drown out whatever drivelish nonsense they're talking.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    God that's annoying, I know exactly what Bregje and Ralph are talking about. No matter how powerful a piece of music is, if a person is not paying attention to it, then they won't hear that power. Film music, like classical music, deserves and requires a certain amount of concentration. It's not the same as listening to a great song, it perhaps takes more patience, and if people are conditioned to that, then film music will not be heard in the same way as we hear it.

I always try to explain this to people if they ask me for some film music and haven't listened to much film music in the past. I feel as though I have to justify the music I give them?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Exactly. I have already been thinking... maybe I should advise them to listen to just one track a day. But then really sit down and listen. I'm sure they can do that for 5 minutes a day?
    They will probably think the whole album sounds the same anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008 edited
    I don't feel motivated enough anymore, if the other person is not willing to at least try; why stick em out of the r'n'b misery if they don't want to?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Well, the funny thing is I never tried before. So that's why this is such a fun project. People I know all my life or a very long time will hear it for the first time.
    smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And never give up! punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    When it comes down to it you can't force people to listen to anything. Put the music on and let it speak for itself and every now and then you'll get an interested response of "what's this music?" ( though sometimes it'll be accompanied by a scowl wink ).

I think I'm very lucky that I have four long time close friends that take a genuine interest in film scores in a possitive sense.

In fact one of those friends will be visiting me later this afternoon and I guarantee he'll be requesting specific film scores.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Think is that most people are usually not accustomed to actually paying attention to world-less music.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Think is that most people are usually not accustomed to actually paying attention to world-less music.

I know! I find that in space no one can hear you scream let alone hear music wink
  5. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009
    I LOVE GOLDSMITH!

(I thought I'd take a leaf out of Moonie's book there. beer )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2009
    Steven wrote
    I LOVE GOLDSMITH!

(I thought I'd take a leaf out of Moonie's book there. beer )

beer

I suggest we have a whip-around for those poor souls who are deaf to his brilliance.
  6. beer beer even
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2009