• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009
    Southall wrote
    The problem with your question, D, is that you're going to end up with recommendations for almost every score he ever wrote.

Indeed. In a couple of days the list will be endless.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
  1. Well no sensible soul will recommend Executive Decision or US Marshalls.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Well no sensible soul will recommend Executive Decision or US Marshalls.

Somebody recommended Sleeping with the Enemy! wink
  2. Alien Nation is definitely not recommended too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    But then, I've reviewed them all over the years. I wonder what I gave five stars to?

To answer my own question...

Alien Jerry Goldsmith (1979) *****
    Basic Instinct Jerry Goldsmith (1992) *****
    The Blue Max Jerry Goldsmith (1966) *****
    The Boys from Brazil Jerry Goldsmith (1978) *****
    Capricorn One Jerry Goldsmith (1978) *****
    Chinatown Jerry Goldsmith (1974) *****
    The Final Conflict Jerry Goldsmith (1981) *****
    First Knight Jerry Goldsmith (1995) *****
    Islands in the Stream Jerry Goldsmith (1976) *****
    Legend Jerry Goldsmith (1985) *****
    Logan's Run Jerry Goldsmith (1976) *****
    Masada Jerry Goldsmith (1981) *****
    Mulan Jerry Goldsmith (1998) *****
    The Omen Jerry Goldsmith (1976) *****
    Papillon Jerry Goldsmith (1973) *****
    Patton Jerry Goldsmith (1970) *****
    Planet of the Apes Jerry Goldsmith (1968) *****
    Poltergeist Jerry Goldsmith (1982) *****
    Raggedy Man Jerry Goldsmith (1981) *****
    The Sand Pebbles Jerry Goldsmith (1966) *****
    The Secret of NIMH Jerry Goldsmith (1982) *****
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture Jerry Goldsmith (1979) *****
    Total Recall Jerry Goldsmith (1990) *****
    Under Fire Jerry Goldsmith (1983) *****
    Wild Rovers Jerry Goldsmith (1971) *****
    The Wind and the Lion Jerry Goldsmith (1975) *****
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    But i clarified already James, keep it to absolute essentials! smile Thanks everyone
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Ehem.... crazy tongue (I like it!)
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Ehem.... crazy tongue (I like it!)

I quite like it too - but it wouldn't reach my Goldsmith Top 100!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    But i clarified already James, keep it to absolute essentials! smile Thanks everyone

Everyone has his/her favourites. But if you want essential then I don't think you can go too far wrong with my list of five-star ones!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    Southall wrote
    But then, I've reviewed them all over the years. I wonder what I gave five stars to?

To answer my own question...

Alien Jerry Goldsmith (1979) *****
    Basic Instinct Jerry Goldsmith (1992) *****
    The Blue Max Jerry Goldsmith (1966) *****
    The Boys from Brazil Jerry Goldsmith (1978) *****
    Capricorn One Jerry Goldsmith (1978) *****
    Chinatown Jerry Goldsmith (1974) *****
    The Final Conflict Jerry Goldsmith (1981) *****
    First Knight Jerry Goldsmith (1995) *****
    Islands in the Stream Jerry Goldsmith (1976) *****
    Legend Jerry Goldsmith (1985) *****
    Logan's Run Jerry Goldsmith (1976) *****
    Masada Jerry Goldsmith (1981) *****
    Mulan Jerry Goldsmith (1998) *****
    The Omen Jerry Goldsmith (1976) *****
    Papillon Jerry Goldsmith (1973) *****
    Patton Jerry Goldsmith (1970) *****
    Planet of the Apes Jerry Goldsmith (1968) *****
    Poltergeist Jerry Goldsmith (1982) *****
    Raggedy Man Jerry Goldsmith (1981) *****
    The Sand Pebbles Jerry Goldsmith (1966) *****
    The Secret of NIMH Jerry Goldsmith (1982) *****
    Star Trek: The Motion Picture Jerry Goldsmith (1979) *****
    Total Recall Jerry Goldsmith (1990) *****
    Under Fire Jerry Goldsmith (1983) *****
    Wild Rovers Jerry Goldsmith (1971) *****
    The Wind and the Lion Jerry Goldsmith (1975) *****

Thanks for that, this answers my question!
  3. Under Fire especially.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009 edited
    You guys haven't left me anything to list.

I think James nailed it! Those three... ST: The Motion Picture, The Wind and the Lion and Capricorn One are pretty spectacular! And Under Fire is brilliant as well. Other recommendations...

Poltergeist is one of THE best horror scores you will ever hear!

Basic Instinct is a sexy score. Goldsmith put the physical act of sex into musical terms! Hunt down the Varese edition and if you like it then go get the Prometheus expanded edition. I know, I know, I just pulled Thor but the original album is pretty much perfect!

And then do yourself a favour and find Goldsmith's collaborations with Franklin J. Schaffner (Planet of the Apes, Lionheart, Islands in the Stream, The Boys From Brazil) and Joe Dante (The Explorers, the 'burbs, Gremlins 1 and 2, Innerspace, etc)

And if I can recommend one more... Supergirl!

And try a few compilations... Frontiers on Varese and Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith on Silva.

Also, sample my Goldsmith 80th anniversary show that I put up last week

http://www.geocities.com/cinematicsound … 10_09.html

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Thanks Erik, James and everyone! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    The Final Conflict will be right up your alley I think. Dark dark score with a wonderfully religious twist to it, particularly in the final track.

One to play loud and at night time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nice, thanks a lot!
  4. It's The Omen III
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    I might add that just about all his work with Franklin Schaffner and Paul Veerhoven are essential to his output.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    markrayen wrote
    Paul Veerhoven

rolleyes to the nth degree.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthormarkrayen
    Sorry, I meant Verhoeven!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Apology accepted, captain Needa.

wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    The Final Conflict will be right up your alley I think. Dark dark score with a wonderfully religious twist to it, particularly in the final track.

One to play loud and at night time!

D already mentions that he has the Omen scores. ( as Pawel pointed out, perhaps D didn't know Omen III as the title for The Final Conflict? )

As said above everyone has just about mentioned everything so I'd recommend these as essentials....

Star Trek The Motion Picture

Under Fire

The Wind And The Lion

Knowing you're taste I think you'd love The Russia House

I would hold out on Masada, the sound is awful and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it gets a deluxe treatment.

Don't be put off by Poltergeist being described as a "horror" score, it's far more than that with moments of truly sublime beauty.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Timmer wrote
    Don't be put off by Poltergeist being described as a "horror" score, it's far more than that with moments of truly sublime beauty.

True. But it's one of the best of the genre... yes/no?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    YES! bhangra

(OK, there's actually no Indian dancers in it. But there IS an Indian in the film's sequel, so I feel fully justified in using this emoticon)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    YES! bhangra

(OK, there's actually no Indian dancers in it. But there IS an Indian in the film's sequel, so I feel fully justified in using this emoticon)

Yeah, an Indian that was more Manitou than Hindi rolleyes wink

Oh yeah, and a big YES to Erik's query.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Yeah, an Indian that was more Manitou than Hindi rolleyes wink

Details, details...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    Erik Woods wrote

Poltergeist is one of THE best horror scores you will ever hear!

I can not say it enough... this is beauty, terror, awe and wonder all packed on one perfect disc. Love it immensely.

Basic Instinct is a sexy score. Goldsmith put the physical act of sex into musical terms! Hunt down the Varese edition and if you like it then go get the Prometheus expanded edition. I know, I know, I just pulled Thor but the original album is pretty much perfect!

It's strange but since buying the expanded I kind of miss the shorter regular album (which I gave to my brother). I think the expanded does too little of that, it just doesn't bring that much new material. It's one of the rare cases I would recommend getting the 1992 release.

And then do yourself a favour and find Goldsmith's collaborations with Franklin J. Schaffner (Planet of the Apes, Lionheart, Islands in the Stream, The Boys From Brazil) and Joe Dante (The Explorers, the 'burbs, Gremlins 1 and 2, Innerspace, etc)

Totally agree on the Dante aspect: truly inspired and fun scores as only Jerry could make 'em. But why no Small Soldiers?

And try a few compilations... Frontiers on Varese and Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith on Silva.

I have another from Silva, The Omen: The Essential Jerry Goldsmith Collection, which is truly brilliant. Fantastic performances all around.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

Totally agree on the Dante aspect: truly inspired and fun scores as only Jerry could make 'em. But why no Small Soldiers?

It's part of the etc. wink

DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wroteAnd try a few compilations... Frontiers on Varese and Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith on Silva.

I have another from Silva, The Omen: The Essential Jerry Goldsmith Collection, which is truly brilliant. Fantastic performances all around.

Not a huge fan of the Prague compilations and the Goldsmith one is hit or miss... but I do ADORE that The Omen suite. But there are better performances out there... especially on the Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith disc.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Erik Woods wroteAnd try a few compilations... Frontiers on Varese and Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith on Silva.

Not a huge fan of the Prague compilations and the Goldsmith one is hit or miss... but I do ADORE that The Omen suite. But there are better performances out there... especially on the Goldsmith Conducts Goldsmith disc.

-Erik-

I don't much like that Silva compilation - perhaps their weakest "The Essential..." album? It's the only place you can legally get the concert version of The Shadow and that Omen suite, but the Prague musicians really struggle with most of it I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Southall wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    DreamTheater wrote

-Erik-

I don't much like that Silva compilation - perhaps their weakest "The Essential..." album? It's the only place you can legally get the concert version of The Shadow and that Omen suite, but the Prague musicians really struggle with most of it I think.

Agreed!

-Erik-
  5. Wow, that compilation is the only Goldsmith comp. I have! I'll have to look into others. I, too, have been thinking about filling in the gaping gap in my collection where there should be about 40 goldsmith scores. After hearding Erik's excellent show again, and after playing James' clip contest I realized just how much great music he wrote that I don't have. I've just finished reading nearly every Goldsmith review written by Southall and Broxton. I'll have lot's more questions in a while, but for now here's my biggest one:

What is Christus Apollo, and is it any good?