• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009 edited
    christopher wrote
    What is Christus Apollo, and is it any good?

Avant garde shit, and no.

Seriously: stay away from it.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009
    You'll like Fireworks (on the same album) though!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009
    Southall wrote
    You'll like Fireworks (on the same album) though!

And, I've said it before, the only reason the album is worth having.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009 edited
    First of all, I agree with those who said that once you ask for recommendations, at one point you'll have every single score of his listed. And then it kinda defeats the purpose. So I think one needs to make at least two specifications here:

1. Are you talking about SOUNDTRACKS or the score as it works in the MOVIE? It's a crucial difference, because while there are scores that may work well in the film, it may not be as essential on disc. ALIEN, for example, is a cornerstone score in film history, yet it isn't - IMO - a very rewarding listening experience on CD.

2. STRIVE to be as objective as possible! Even though it is near-to-impossible to leave all subjectivity behind, try to step out of your own fan favourites and ask yourselves, what will stand the test of time in Goldsmith's oeuvre? What will he be remembered for? What are the scores that are most often referenced in literature and popular culture?

With this in mind, I would make this "essential" list for Goldsmith:

PLANET OF THE APES
    THE OMEN
    PATTON
    THE WIND AND THE LION (although the film itself will always remain quite obscure to most people)
    STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE
    BASIC INSTINCT
    THE MUMMY (this might be arguable, but IMO on of his best representations of the style he emulated from the mid 90's and onwards).

I would love to add stuff like UNDER FIRE or FIRST BLOOD or THE LAST RUN, but in the scheme of things, these are mostly my own personal favourites, not "essentials".
    I am extremely serious.
  1. I'd recommend missing off Under Fire from the list - I've never understood the elevation of this score above some of his others. It's an accomplished score - just not standout.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'd recommend missing off Under Fire from the list - I've never understood the elevation of this score above some of his others. It's an accomplished score - just not standout.

...and I don't understand that!? shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Though, to be fair, I don't think Under Fire will be D's cup of tea. I think he's appreciate the compositions themselves, and definitely the guitar performances, but I have a sneaking suspicion the synths will leave him rather cold.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2009 edited
    They're not that prevalent, surely?
    Nor that dated?

Incidentally, I'd hesitate writing off First Blood so easily.
    To me it's vintage Goldsmith and probably the finest example of his action-scores-with-a-twist from the early eighties, right in between the harder to listen to seventies scores and the bombast themes from the nineties.
    But that's just my opinion. I agree with Thor that it would be best to apply some objective standards, but I disagree in the sense that I wonder if it can actually be done. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I think I'm just being overly cautious with Under Fire as it's a very personal score to me. (I'll wax ecstatic about one of my favourite scores, but when it comes to recommending them to people who've never heard them before, I'll always try to be a little more subective... I'm literally afraid of their opinion!)

I know D doesn't like Goldsmith's early synths (and I can understand why, even though I love them myself), so I'm guessing he won't like the synths in Under Fire?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Only one way to find out. smile
  2. I've really not enjoyed any of the synthy scores that I've heard of Goldsmith, yet I think that Under Fire is my second favorite Goldsmith score (my opinion is less important here, however, in light of the fact that I only have 10 of his scores shame ).
  3. Small Soldiers the recording sessions is a dream of a score, it proves how some scores deserve a full release while others don't even deserve a half release

Don't forget Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend too, men what a main theme punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Small Soldiers the recording sessions is a dream of a score, it proves how some scores deserve a full release while others don't even deserve a half release

Yes, but I don't think Demetris would like Baby since it is prevalent with Goldsmith's typical 80s synths. We're trying to get him to appreciate Goldsmith even more, not hate him! wink

Small Soldiers recording sessions is a bit of a mess to listen to, but it certainly deserved more than a 30 minute release from Varese.
  4. Steven wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Small Soldiers the recording sessions is a dream of a score, it proves how some scores deserve a full release while others don't even deserve a half release

Yes, but I don't think Demetris would like Baby since it is prevalent with Goldsmith's typical 80s synths. We're trying to get him to appreciate Goldsmith even more, not hate him! wink

Small Soldiers recording sessions is a bit of a mess to listen to, but it certainly deserved more than a 30 minute release from Varese.

The brilliant rise from the synths to a full orchestral score is the beauty of it all, anyway I adore it

Small Soldiers might be a mess, but once you put it all into film order, give it all names, and pick the cues out of it which deserve it, you'll get 50 minutes of creative Goldsmith fun smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Too true. Do you have a playlist of that you could share? I've never bothered to do it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Martijn wrote
    But that's just my opinion. I agree with Thor that it would be best to apply some objective standards, but I disagree in the sense that I wonder if it can actually be done. smile

Actually, you don't necessarily disagree so much, because I stressed the STRIVE bit above. One should STRIVE to be as objective as possible in these kinds of questions. You'll still end up with some amount of subjective evaluation, but at least you've tried to consciously separate yourself from your own preferences and looking at the "big picture".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven's my man, obviously he gets me and i'll read into what he writes on this topic, as Goldsmith's old synths give me the :rahman: feeling.

i.e. make me sick
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Though, to be fair, I don't think Under Fire will be D's cup of tea. I think he's appreciate the compositions themselves, and definitely the guitar performances, but I have a sneaking suspicion the synths will leave him rather cold.

It's my single favourite film score album of all time. Just saying.
  5. Martijn wrote
    christopher wrote
    What is Christus Apollo, and is it any good?

Avant garde shit, and no.

Seriously: stay away from it.

It's all down to personal taste and preference I know but I've gotta give it some love here. I love Christus Apollo, it’s got some fantastic choral work and some very interesting orchestration, for me right up there with his film work from the 60s and 70s. I also find "Music for Orchestra" on the same disc to be terrific. In fact Fireworks is the weak point of the album for me, I've always found it to be a bit generic, but I do hope to get into it a bit more some day.

You've already got some of my favourite Goldsmith Christodoulides but from what you don’t have I would highly recommend:
    The Edge
    Planet of the Apes
    Islands in the Stream
    Under Fire
    The Wind and the Lion
    The Intrada rerecording of Rio Conchos (Which also has a wonderful performance of "The artist who did not want to paint")
    The Varese 'Frontiers' is packed with great performances of great music
  6. Steven wrote
    Too true. Do you have a playlist of that you could share? I've never bothered to do it!

Check your pm.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. The Vanishing / Gladiator comparrison video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmRhmIJbBs0
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009
    Steven wrote

Here's mine:

Small Soldiers
    Earlier Chopper
    Chip Hazard
    Assembly Line
    Unloading and First Sale
    Roll Call
    Alan and Archer
    Branded
    Prepare for Assault
    Special Design
    Minor Problems
    The Gorgonites
    Windows
    Operation Sandman
    Wind
    Sneaking In
    Gwendy Rampage - Escape
    The Warehouse
    I’m Scared
    Negotiations
    Attack Montage
    Trust Me
    Off to Gorgon
    Small Soldiers Suite
    Mistake Mix
    Gwendys
    Commando Commercial
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2009
    Ooh, I'll give that go. Thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009
    Does anyone with more musical language than me define Goldsmith action music style? (the 90's one).

Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009
    5/4?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009
    thanks angry
  8. Depends on how precise of an analysis you need. I'd say the meter is rather 5/8 than 5/4. I'll do some thinking about his scoring methods today.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2009
    5/8.... that's what I meant. Yeah.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2009 edited
    I meant more if someone can define more in terms of orchestrations and melodies how Goldsmith action music is.

For example: Zimmer and his horns, his string kicks, etc....

By the way, I'm in Jerry Goldsmith mood. The maestro lifes in our souls!

You can enjoy more or less some of his scores, but few composers experimented so much like Goldsmith did. And this is one of the reasons why I love him. I mean...

Maybe in a more visceral way you can't enjoy Planet of the apes, but in an intel.lectual way you can only admire so much creativity.

(The same happens with my other favourite composer, Zimmer. with things like BHD or Why so serious)
  9. Dammit, I'll write it tomorrow. A whole analytic post got erased sad
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website