• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    Yes, The Da Vinci Code and At World's End. Ironically not featured on that list.

And he lists two of his more overrated scores IMO: Rain Man and Driving Miss Daisy rolleyes
    Ahh, Zimmer......
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Maybe I'll be wrong, but I think a lot of people are underestimating Zimmer for Madagascar 2. I know people didn't like the first one, but for some reason I think he'll improve a lot for the sequel. It seems like his recent sequels scores have all been really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Panthera wrote
    Maybe I'll be wrong, but I think a lot of people are underestimating Zimmer for Madagascar 2. I know people didn't like the first one, but for some reason I think he'll improve a lot for the sequel. It seems like his recent sequels scores have all been really good.

That's what I feel too. wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote
    Yes, The Da Vinci Code and At World's End. Ironically not featured on that list.

And he lists two of his more overrated scores IMO: Rain Man and Driving Miss Daisy rolleyes
    Ahh, Zimmer......

Overrated? I don't think so... Driving Miss Daisy is maybe not a perfect score, and it could be better with real instruments (like the concert version), but the theme is really catchy and heartwarming.

And on Rain Man, I like the synth sounds, actually. (But Las Vegas is horrible to listen tongue )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Miya wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Ahh, Zimmer......

Overrated? I don't think so... Driving Miss Daisy is maybe not a perfect score, and it could be better with real instruments (like the concert version), but the theme is really catchy and heartwarming.

And on Rain Man, I like the synth sounds, actually. (But Las Vegas is horrible to listen tongue )

I have serious problems listening to old Zimmer scores when (fortunately) he has produced much better efforts during his career. I mean, I can´t listen to "The Thin Red Line" or "The Da Vinci Code" and then listen to "Rain Man" or "Green Card". I don´t know, it´s like going backwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    DemonStar wrote
    Panthera wrote

That's what I feel too. wink biggrin

But he's co-composing with a hip-hop artist, isn't he? Not sure how it's going to be...
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Co-composing? Didn't know about that... Hip hop artist? Yikes.
  1. Panthera wrote
    Co-composing? Didn't know about that...

Is this sarcasm? I would assume this to be true of everything he writes. There were a whole bunch of composers on the first one.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Actually, it wasn't.
  2. The guy is called Will.i.am
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    This Zimmer talk and thread is getting so large it apparently started to attract other fans as well...
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    What Zimmer says about King Arthur in the final minute of Scorenotes.com interview?

thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Nautilus wrote
    What Zimmer says about King Arthur in the final minute of Scorenotes.com interview?

thanks.

The recent one? With James Newton Howard?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote

thanks.

I´m afraid King Arthur is not one of his favourites.
    But I found this even more interesting:

Hans Zimmer: "....I´m not sure if it was your website or somebody else you know, I mean, me of course more than James because James is the nicer guy and better composer, I´m just getting savaged by some people".

Interviewer: "filmtracks, the website"

Hans: "Yeah, and in a way, I´m loving it, because you certainly realize that I´m doing exactly the job I´m supposed to be doing".

James Newton Howard: "not only that, to do that is such idiocy; I love when people write about something they just reveal how much they don´t know about what they´re writing".

Couldn´t fuckin agree more! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

thanks.

Hans Zimmer: "....I´m not sure if it was your website or somebody else you know, I mean, me of course more than James because James is the nicer guy and better composer, I´m just getting savaged by some people".

Hans: "Yeah, and in a way, I´m loving it, because you certainly realize that I´m doing exactly the job I´m supposed to be doing".

James Newton Howard: "not only that, to do that is such idiocy; I love when people write about something they just reveal how much they don´t know about what they´re writing".

Well, I could. If you take mountains and mountains of criticism to be a sign that you're doing a good job, well, you have to be a little strange don't you!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    heh filmtracks wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Nautilus wrote

thanks.

Well, I could. If you take mountains and mountains of criticism to be a sign that you're doing a good job, well, you have to be a little strange don't you!?

Come on, you know perfectly what he means in this case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In this area, if nobody's dealing with you (in all positive and negative ways and magnitudes imaginable) then it probably means you're not doing something right. Since in Hollywood (and in all business and life in general too) there will always be people who envy or even hate others' success, i'd too say that yes, the more people bitch and moan about you and deal with you - since you're simply doing your job and minding your business* then it must mean you're doing something very right; in the case of Zimmer we all know it to be true.

* I am not talking about the scenario where your stupid actions actually evoke such attacks, that's a different thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    In this area, if nobody's dealing with you (in all positive and negative ways and magnitudes imaginable) then it probably means you're not doing something right. Since in Hollywood (and in all business and life in general too) there will always be people who envy or even hate others' success, i'd too say that yes, the more people bitch and moan about you and deal with you - since you're simply doing your job and minding your business* then it must mean you're doing something very right; in the case of Zimmer we all know it to be true.

* I am not talking about the scenario where your stupid actions actually evoke such attacks, that's a different thing

But people who think his scores are crap don't do so because they're somehow envious of him! So I still don't understand the point.

You could take the fact that he is continually employed on high-profile films to be a sign that he's doing something right - but criticism on an internet messageboard?! Anyway, I'm sure it was only a throwaway line from him.

Marselus, I'm afraid I don't - honestly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008 edited
    [edited]

A lot of people score REAL crap and they're regular nobodies; i don't see anyone dealing with them; Zimmer is successful, probably the most successful (not always linked with quality of course) film composer out there as we speak, in terms of assigned projects, financial income, professional status, influence on younger composers and fanbase and the way he did it through the sound he fused and created, is something that upsets many people; composers too, some of the latter obviously (even unconsciously) 'cause they haven't thought of it first; or of a similar way to reach to the top like Z. Some of them of course are struggling 'cause they see their near nowhere status while they write some truly wonderful music that is most probably doomed to ignorance while Z's synths and libraries take over the world.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    [...] some truly wonderful music that is most probably doomed by ignorance[...]

Surely you mean doomed to ignorance?

Oh hai, I'm Steven. I've added nothing to this discussion and I'm pedantic. Carry on! wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You're right, my bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Christodoulides wrote
    [edited]

A lot of people score REAL crap and they're regular nobodies; i don't see anyone dealing with them; Zimmer is successful, probably the most successful (not always linked with quality of course) film composer out there as we speak, in terms of assigned projects, financial income, professional status, influence on younger composers and fanbase and the way he did it through the sound he fused and created, is something that upsets many people; composers too, some of the latter obviously (even unconsciously) 'cause they haven't thought of it first; or of a similar way to reach to the top like Z. Some of them of course are struggling 'cause they see their near nowhere status while they write some truly wonderful music that is most probably doomed to ignorance while Z's synths and libraries take over the world.

Agree, but you know what, I feel that even though many regard this as "degrading" of film music, I feel that Hans has actually contributed a lot to the film music genre in a unique way - it is mostly thanks to him that some of the younger generation is being attracted to film music. I have noticed that most of today's rock/pop/metal lovers are attracted more by Hans' synth-and-guitar scores rather than Jerry Goldsmith or John Williams' big orchestral scores. I have in fact interested some of my friends into film music by The Kraken and Wheel Of Fortune. And then often they slowly discover orchestral scores (like I did) and become film music fans. It may not always the case, but at least it is a good thing at least some more people are getting interested in film music due to this!

Just my humble opinion, grain of salt. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    A lot of people score REAL crap and they're regular nobodies; i don't see anyone dealing with them; Zimmer is successful, probably the most successful (not always linked with quality of course) film composer out there as we speak, in terms of assigned projects, financial income, professional status, influence on younger composers and fanbase and the way he did it through the sound he fused and created, is something that upsets many people

Well after more than twenty years of music (regarding Zimmer´s career), if somebody is still upset by his sound, I think it´s time to start getting used to it.
    And call me whatever you want, but you don´t like Zimmer, ok, I propose two possible solutions:
    1- Don´t ever, ever, listen a Zimmer score again. Your mental health will appreciate it if it really upsets you that much (I´m not refering toy you Demetris, this "you" is a general one, oh, ok, you know what I mean wink ).
    2- Don´t ever, ever, watch a movie scored by Zimmer again.

Quite easy solutions, aren´t they?

Christodoulides wrote
    ...while Z's synths and libraries take over the world.

But I wonder if all the bunch of Zimmer bashers know about other composers, because it seems like it´s only Zimmer scoring films today (ok, he gets high profile pictures, blah blah blah). But do they know Philippe Rombi? John Scott? Giacchino? Lennertz? Fenton? Baños? Jenkins? and a dozen more?
    You have so much to choose and discover that it´d take years to enjoy them all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nah; it's Zimmer that "interests" their rage wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    But Marselus it's impossible to avoid it because such a large proportion of major films are scored either by Zimmer or by one of his underlings. I don't have a problem with most of his albums, which are enjoyable pieces of symphonic pop fluff, it's as film scores they're so hideous, but I can't avoid those because they appear in films I actually want to see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    True that. Just compare most of Zimmer's scores to Fenton's music for Deep Blue, Planet Earth and The Blue Planet. Now that is how you score images!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Problem is, the haters love to hate and ruin the fun for the lovers. It´s all that´s left for them, isn´t it...? Or is it?

In the end, nothing is gained by the whole discussion. The haters can scream as loud as they want, Zimmer won´t change his way to score movies, and producers will continue to want his style in their movies; people will always either love it or hate it, and the sooner the haters realise that their lives are way more beautiful if they decide to let it be and concentrate on the dozens of scores released each year which they like better, the better for everyone. Lovers can enjoy a new Zimmer score without the usual hundreds of hate-style posts, while haters can concentrate on things they like.

Yeah... how nice would that be...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It'd be nice perhaps.....but surely boring wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    In the end, nothing is gained by the whole discussion. The haters can scream as loud as they want, Zimmer won´t change his way to score movies, and producers will continue to want his style in their movies; people will always either love it or hate it, and the sooner the haters realise that their lives are way more beautiful if they decide to let it be and concentrate on the dozens of scores released each year which they like better, the better for everyone. Lovers can enjoy a new Zimmer score without the usual hundreds of hate-style posts, while haters can concentrate on things they like.

Exactly my thoughts wink