• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2008
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Timmer wrote
    In a ( Hollywood ) world of cloned films what you need is cloned scores which is why we have been blessed with Hans Zimmer and his armies.

The Dark Knight is a "cloned" film ? rolleyes

Yeap! albeit from what I've heard about it, a very good one.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. *looks at what happened to the topic after his last post, shakes his head, and leaves again*
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote
    I agree that a Golden Age-style score would kill a film like Transformers, but there's an opportunity there (and a really good opportunity - it's a music-friendly film) for a composer to really flex his muscles and show how good a modern film score can be.

May I ask you to name a few good modern film scores?

I guess you're talking about things which I think are better than the Transformers style for that kind of film, in which case I really love the three Matrix scores, a lot of Powell's efforts (particularly Bourne), Final Fantasy, SWAT, Elfman scores like Wanted, some Beltrami stuff (I Robot is excellent). Give me more time and I'll probably think of a bit more. All these prove that you can put intelligent music in less-than-intelligent films if you want to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote

but you did also pick Da Vinci Code, whose album is great - but as a film score it's awful.

Why do you think that, James? I am really curious to see why smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. I think Da Vinci Code fails in the film too. It makes the film too heavy, trying too hard at times and not very subtle. In discussion with friends, we came to the opinion that it's not really Zimmer's thought, but rather the heavy hand that Ron Howard tends to have. He's far from a subtle storyteller, except some scenes in A Beautiful Mind, somehow - The Missing - and Apollo 13. Maybe Ransom could join the group.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed it all (the package, movie and score) is in your face and very direct but how could it be different with the story line it carries? Maybe it takes itself a bit too seriously, score and movie? That i think it's more correct to say rather than being in-your-face is actually a flaw, imo.
  3. The problem of the storyline it carries is really that there is no action. The film (and book from what I reckon, I tried to read it) is about guys talking in a house (the Teabing house sequence), so there isn't enough of ACTION (characters in action, not necessarily fully fledged chases, that would mean dialogue-less research in a library, see Seven for that) to carry it as a good film, which speaks with visuals (to Howard's and Goldsman's credits the Nicean scenes are told with flashbacks, but STILL it's not visual enough)

Zimmer's score is perfect for the kind of film it is too, but it takes itself too seriously. It does fit the genre called intellectual thriller, just as did Hannibal - the more classical approach, religiously-inclined choral writing also referential of some more modern works (Gorecki!), the tingling celesta writing, sensible choral lyrics (for the first time Zimmer's choral lyrics actually make sense). The thing is that it's too in-your-face and too serious. The lack of humor is a big flaw of the film to me too. Zimmer shou;ld have used the same kind of irony that made him deconstruct Mahler in Hannibal.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Indeed it all (the package, movie and score) is in your face and very direct but how could it be different with the story line it carries? Maybe it takes itself a bit too seriously, score and movie? That i think it's more correct to say rather than being in-your-face is actually a flaw, imo.

I found the score distracting and that it slowed the film down which, to some extent at least I don't really care about as the film isn't very good anyway. How much direction the score took was down to Ron Howard I don't know, if it was purely Zimmers decission then, IMO, it was a bad one.

As I've said elsewhere, the score by itself is a fine stand alone listen.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    NP - Moulin Rouge Promo - Craig Armstrong

Lovely compilation. I would love to get a copy of the instrumental backing for all of the tracks. No one can do moody and tragedy and romance like Craig Armstrong can. His orchestral writing is similar to how John Barry does it, IMO, with lots of dense and slow strings accented by an instrumental solo or choir. Good stuff.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote

Lovely compilation. I would love to get a copy of the instrumental backing for all of the tracks. No one can do moody and tragedy and romance like Craig Armstrong can. His orchestral writing is similar to how John Barry does it, IMO, with lots of dense and slow strings accented by an instrumental solo or choir. Good stuff.

You do know this is the Hans Zimmer thread NOT the 'Now Playing' thread wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The thing is that it's too in-your-face and too serious. The lack of humor is a big flaw of the film to me too.

How could it be differently with the theme that carries? And where did humor fit in there?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

Does it matter? Most threads in here get side tracked five times over anyway. spin

Though your informative post is NOTED! shame
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    lp wrote
    Timmer wrote
    lp wrote

Does it matter? Most threads in here get side tracked five times over anyway. spin

Though your informative post is NOTED! shame

beer
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The thing is that it's too in-your-face and too serious. The lack of humor is a big flaw of the film to me too.

How could it be differently with the theme that carries? And where did humor fit in there?

HUMOUR D, with a 'U', don't go the crass American uncouth way of spelling slant wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am sorry mate, firefox - the evil american weapon - didn't auto-correct me!
  4. Personally, I find both the movie and the score to be quite entertaining and fitting each other. I don´t think that a bit of humour was needed, too many movies suffer from writers who try to put some jokes into them, and that road could have led to another National Treasure. Although I like those kind of movies too, I think the downright honest and serious approach was better for the matter at hand. I didn´t read the book, but I read Angels & Demons before seeing The DaVinci Code and I thought the tone and language of the Langdon Universe was captured rather well. It might have something to do with the german version; Hanks´ german voice is a lot softer and, on the other hand, sounds a bit more intellectual than the original (sorry, Tom, not your fault), so the whole thing comes across even more honest, but also more fitting, if you get what I mean, which makes the score work better, too. I can understand why people may find the finale to be over the top, but personally, for me it was a total goosebump scene, thanks to Zimmer´s approach.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Unfortunately I just don't think Da Vinci Code was the most cinematic of books, yet it received a very straight-down-the-line adaptation. While I enjoyed reading it, it's pretty ludicrous, but you can get away with that a little more on the written page when you can dress it up in ways which just don't work on the screen. My problem with the music is that it's one of those scores which just keeps on saying "Look how IMPORTANT this scene is!" but if you do that for every scene (which it does), it gets very grating very quickly. I'm sure in this instance that I'd rather have heard from one of Ron Howard's other two favourites, Horner or Newman - Horner may have fallen into a similar trap but would probably have pulled himself back from the brink just in time.

However, it's a pretty awful film anyway, and we did get a very good album out of it, so things didn't work out entirely badly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Unfortunately I just don't think Da Vinci Code was the most cinematic of books, yet it received a very straight-down-the-line adaptation.

That might, of course, be true. If the book´s story is so similar to the movie´s, I can see that it missed some serious action, which might have helped. On the other hand, there are some more action (or at least, suspense) scenes in Angels & Demons, but they sound rediculous in the book and might come across as very, very bad scenes in the movie, and since I always prefer a good talky scene over a stupid action scene, I think Da Vinci Code might become the better movie in the end.

While I enjoyed reading it, it's pretty ludicrous, but you can get away with that a little more on the written page when you can dress it up in ways which just don't work on the screen. My problem with the music is that it's one of those scores which just keeps on saying "Look how IMPORTANT this scene is!" but if you do that for every scene (which it does), it gets very grating very quickly. I'm sure in this instance that I'd rather have heard from one of Ron Howard's other two favourites, Horner or Newman - Horner may have fallen into a similar trap but would probably have pulled himself back from the brink just in time.

Horner and Newman - great, fitting, choices, though I think we all know what Horner´s score would have done with it (too less). While Zimmer´s approach might be considered too big by some, Newman might have been the perfect middle choice. On the other hand, I love Zimmer´s score, and if the story of the movie somehow connects with you, the score elevates it to heavenly heights. Which is all this movie is about, in the end. It wants to be a religious thriller, and a bit less honest approach would have destroyed it completely.

However, it's a pretty awful film anyway, and we did get a very good album out of it, so things didn't work out entirely badly.

And that´s the worst one could say about it, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I haven't read the entire books, just some passages and reviews. To be honest i think it's hugely overrated and it got too much than what it truly deserved; too much hype, short lived though, and the movie was just as good as it deserved; maybe a bit more than that too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Horner and Newman - great, fitting, choices, though I think we all know what Horner´s score would have done with it (too less). While Zimmer´s approach might be considered too big by some, Newman might have been the perfect middle choice.

If Zimmer hadn´t done it, my choice would have been Horner, no doubt about it. But Newman, with his non memorable themes and scores in general, come on, what a bore! Not to talk about the 50 second cues socre cd that would have been released. Zimmer´s approach might be too grand (not as grand as some of you say IMO) but I don´t see a problem in a score being over the top. Chevaliers de Sangreal is probably one of the best finales I´ve watched recently, fitting perfectly with the visuals and giving a sense of closure to the story.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    Chevaliers de Sangreal is probably one of the best finales I´ve watched recently, fitting perfectly with the visuals and giving a sense of closure to the story.

That's true. The marriage of music and visuals in that long scene was very spot-on, very cleverly constructed, tremendously effective and quite stirring. I remember how i noticed that everyone in the packed theater back then was really stunned and speechless by that last long scene and the music played a predominant role in that; it grabbed you and was filling the whole theater, really in the foreground instead of the opposite which usually happens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    I am in total agreement here. Chevaliers is a fantastic and indeed uplifting track in a way only Zimmer could have done it. And that´s good for him and the movie. (And that doesn´t mean that no other could have done an uplifting track for the scene, it´s just that Zimmer´s approach worked spectacularly fine - for me.)

I disagree on Newman, though. When he composes great themes, they are very memorable and tend to stay around in my head for a long time.

About the books/movies. They are over the top in almost every aspect, but I find them very entertaining, on a much higher level than I find Godzilla entertaining, for example. The fact that you have to look up the facts for yourself (because Brown doesn´t care to change them for his needs) is part of the fun. I spent hours to look up some of the more interesting stuff on Wikipedia or elsewhere, to see what was true and what wasn´t. So I consider DVC to be quite entertaining. But it might have to depend on the fact that you have to have a crush on this kind of religious mystery stuff...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    The problem is when Zimmer compose without scoring the sequence. I mean ,usually, he compose long suites and then he waits for the final edit of the film and he ,one of his underlings or the editor adapt his suite into the sequence.

Sometimes it works, but usually it seems too forced. (sometimes he compose for the scene, and then he makes a really good scores like The last Samurai )

Ironically this is one of the reasons why I listen his music, because it has his own life without the images.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote
    The problem is when Zimmer compose without scoring the sequence. I mean ,usually, he compose long suites and then he waits for the final edit of the film and he ,one of his underlings or the editor adapt his suite into the sequence.

Sometimes it works, but usually it seems too forced. (sometimes he compose for the scene, and then he makes a really good scores like The last Samurai )

Ironically this is one of the reasons why I listen his music, because it has his own life without the images.

It is very stand-alone oriented indeed, i think it stems mostly from his rock background.
  5. A great comment, Jordi, but are you sure Zimmer works that way? I always thought he composes stuff to scenes and then puts them into suites for the scores, but I have no idea what he really does. If someone could enlighten me, please, be my guest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    I´m not so sure about Zimmer´s scoring process as Jordi sees it neither, but if it is like it, it´s a very reasonable explanation, and a reason why almost all Zimmer scores have their own life outside the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Now that's something new I learned biggrin I did know Zimmer almost always arranges his scores into suites for album presentation. And methinks he did a pretty bad job on some! Like cutting out 75% of Lion King and putting the final battle cue first and the preceding battle music later in PoTC 3!!
  6. DemonStar wrote
    Like cutting out 75% of Lion King

LEAVE IT!!! biggrin

and putting the final battle cue first and the preceding battle music later in PoTC 3!!

That one I agree to, though I can understand his choice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    and putting the final battle cue first and the preceding battle music later in PoTC 3!!

Yeah. But it would've been more fun if a real complete was released along with the regular OST to see what way Zimmer wanted us to listen to it. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

Yeah. But it would've been more fun if a real complete was released along with the regular OST to see what way Zimmer wanted us to listen to it. wink

Well he said in an interview that he didn´t want to put a 25 minute track in the ost.