• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    and putting the final battle cue first and the preceding battle music later in PoTC 3!!

That one I agree to, though I can understand his choice.

Yeah. But it would've been more fun if a real complete was released along with the regular OST to see what way Zimmer wanted us to listen to it. wink

Well he said in an interview that he didn´t want to put a 25 minute track in the ost.

Yeah, but he could've released the missing material with the Suites CD...

Oops sorry, forgot... Disney... tongue
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I haven't read the entire books, just some passages and reviews. To be honest i think it's hugely overrated and it got too much than what it truly deserved; too much hype, short lived though, and the movie was just as good as it deserved; maybe a bit more than that too.

Dan Brown can't write dialogue, it's just clunky and awkward.

What he can do in spades is keep his book a page turner, you really want to know what happens next.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2008 edited
    Yeah but in a very cheesy, non-refined, hollywood kind of way; just like the movie which i still think was more than what the "one-time-wonder-hit-that-even-your-neighbor's-dog-has-read-"-book ever deserved. If you read the highly superior THE NAME OF THE ROSE by Umberto Eco i am confident you'll understand my point exactly.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've gone off Eco since he started writing entire pages in French and Latin.
    There's less annoying ways of showing how literary a snob one is.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know what you mean mate but the man has written some very strong stuff; his "The Island of the Day Before" is one of the most personal and sentimental experiences i've ever had along with Fyodor Dostoevsky's "notes from the underground".
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Gawd, his Island was in fact one of the books I despised for the very reason I mentioned.
    But to be honest, I've never had a taste for Dostoyevski either. I do not believe his characters' motivations, his dialogue is clunky, I'm not interested in his message.
    The Idiot was interminable...rolleyes
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    interminable? Wait 'till you read the 5 books that make up Leo Tolstoy's mammoth WAR AND PEACE * wink

* a very long, tiring and unrewarding experience must i say, completely non-recommended.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    DemonStar wrote
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    and putting the final battle cue first and the preceding battle music later in PoTC 3!!

That one I agree to, though I can understand his choice.

Yeah. But it would've been more fun if a real complete was released along with the regular OST to see what way Zimmer wanted us to listen to it. wink

Well he said in an interview that he didn´t want to put a 25 minute track in the ost.

Yeah, but he could've released the missing material with the Suites CD...

Oops sorry, forgot... Disney... tongue

Guys.... The suites realeaseds in the "Treasure Soundtracks" are far better and more interesting than the unrealeased music from the final battle.

Lord Pirate of Singapore and Lord Cutler Beckett (No mention to "Hoist the colours" , wich you can rip from the End Credits if you want) are worth to the price alone.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah but in a very cheesy, non-refined, hollywood kind of way; just like the movie which i still think was more than what the "one-time-wonder-hit-that-even-your-neighbor's-dog-has-read-"-book ever deserved. If you read the highly superior THE NAME OF THE ROSE by Umberto Eco i am confident you'll understand my point exactly.

I've read Eco's book ( the only one I've read ) and remember enjoying it but it was a long time ago.

There's nothing you've said about Brown's Da Vinci that I don't agree with. At the time it seemed everyone I knew was reading or had read it so I thought "what the feck" and read it myself, a nice easy, entertaining read but I can't for the life of me understand what the fuss was about!?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Timmer wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

I've read Eco's book ( the only one I've read ) and remember enjoying it but it was a long time ago.

There's nothing you've said about Brown's Da Vinci that I don't agree with. At the time it seemed everyone I knew was reading or had read it so I thought "what the feck" and read it myself, a nice easy, entertaining read but I can't for the life of me understand what the fuss was about!?

Me neither; nobody else did imo, they just went along, it was mass hysteria and entertainment. And now gone, forgotten, just like all the other fast-food-like means of being entertained.
  1. I guess a nice, easy, entertaining read is all the masses need to make a fuss. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Nautilus wrote
    Guys.... The suites realeaseds in the "Treasure Soundtracks" are far better and more interesting than the unrealeased music from the final battle.

Lord Pirate of Singapore and Lord Cutler Beckett (No mention to "Hoist the colours" , wich you can rip from the End Credits if you want) are worth to the price alone.

I didn't say the Suites are not good, but I feel the unreleased music is equally good as them and deserved to be released along with the suites too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I guess a nice, easy, entertaining read is all the masses need to make a fuss. wink

If I remember right, a lot of the fuss was created over ideas supposedly "stolen" from the book 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' by another author.

Please correct me if I'm wrong?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    In part, yes, but I believe that came later. I think the main fuss was about the fact that the book was a time bomb in every faithful christian household. And, of course, it came down to the faithful to take a simplistic, easy piece of entertainment as an attack on common belief.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, it sure was a staple among the Illuminati/9-11Truther/New World Order web sites... which in itself has poisoned me against it. (I know, I should be above such considerations... But I am not. shame I still haven't read a single Harry Potter book either, most particularly because everyone else has. Reverse snobbery, thy name is Martijn. slant )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn wrote
    I still haven't read a single Harry Potter book either, most particularly because everyone else has.

Me neither. And i have only watched the first film; i couldn't handle another one.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Martijn wrote
    I still haven't read a single Harry Potter book either, most particularly because everyone else has.

Me neither. And i have only watched the first film; i couldn't handle another one.

The films are great fun and highly watchable imo.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Yeah, it sure was a staple among the Illuminati/9-11Truther/New World Order web sites... which in itself has poisoned me against it. (I know, I should be above such considerations... But I am not. shame I still haven't read a single Harry Potter book either, most particularly because everyone else has. Reverse snobbery, thy name is Martijn. slant )

Melanie got a third of the way through the first book and threw it aside claiming it was so rubbishly written that she couldn't handle anymore. She is far more litterate and well read than I so I'll take her word as given.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I know, but i can't stand them (the films). Harry Potter and the 2 other brats get on my nerves.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I know, but i can't stand them (the films). Harry Potter and the 2 other brats get on my nerves.

And despite my enjoyment of them I TOTALLY understand! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I've only read the first three Potter books and quite enjoyed them, but haven't so far been tempted to pick up the fourth one (which has been on my shelf for years). I've enjoyed the films too - I think each one has been better than the one before.
  2. I´ve read them all and enjoyed them massively. Although her writing does get better with each book (the seventh being the best and a worthy and quite complex finale, without a doubt), I believe that if the first book didn´t do anything for you, there´s nothing to be done aout the rest, since it´s only more of the same, even if better structured and with continually growing and, at times, rather dark, storylines.

I can´t see how anyone can understand a bit about what happens in the movies. They are just moving too fast und leave out too much to really work as a standalone experience. They are great companion pieces to the books, and the two-part finale will certainly help to do the book better justice, but all in all, the books are full of great nuances that get totally lost in the movies, which is a shame, really.

Harry Potter is a great story about growing up and learning to deal with responsibilities and the harshness that´s life.
  3. Also having read them all, the movies never do it for me. I still see them just because Redbox is so cheap, and while I think they are getting better as they go, each one is still so inferior to the books that they never satisfy me. I think the books are very well written, Rowling's 'voice' is terrific and very funny, the story is wonderful, and the work Rowling created is very inventive, so I would suggest reading the first. Ralph is right: if you don't like it don't read more. But I find it hard to read the first and imagine anyone not liking it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    Funny thing, I check on this forum and this thread every couple hours for new postings to see if there's any update regarding Hans Zimmer, and I see lots of new posts (YAY!). But when I click on th thread, I find out that it's all been about books? crazy

Hmm, lemme see if I can do the same with another thread punk
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008
    lp wrote
    Funny thing, I check on this forum and this thread every couple hours for new postings to see if there's any update regarding Hans Zimmer, and I see lots of new posts (YAY!). But when I click on th thread, I find out that it's all been about books? crazy

Hmm, lemme see if I can do the same with another thread punk

Do it on JOHN BARRY, make it look like there's massive interest in a new project, we could get pages and pages from Barry's been hired / fired / walked etc wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2008 edited
    lp wrote

I´m sorry. I forgot to mention that I really, really would love to see a Potter movie scored by Zimmer! Williams was the right choice, of course, but at least Zimmer would have been a far better alternative than Doyle or Hooper (although I like what Hooper did), not stylistically, obviously, but still it would have been interesting to see how he would have approached it. I can perfectly imagine a lot of scenes where his kind of music would have fit like a glove.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    lp wrote

I´m sorry. I forgot to mention that I really, really would love to see a Potter movie scored by Zimmer! Williams was the right choice, of course, but at least Zimmer would have been a far better alternative than Doyle or Hooper (although I like what Hooper did), not stylistically, obviously, but still it would have been interesting to see how he would have approached it. I can perfectly imagine a lot of scenes where his kind of music would have fit like a glove.

Yeah! If Williams is not back for DH for some reason, my second choice will be Zimmer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm not sure Zimmer could pull it off, but since I'm not really a fan of the Potter films, it would certainly be interesting to hear what he'd come up with (without resorting to a thousand and one additional composers). I'd like to hear it on album at least, but Zimmer would be WAY down on my list of composers I would like to hear score a Potter film.

A Potter film gives such a huge canvas for a composer to paint on, which usually equals a fantastic score (well, it should anyway. Hooper didn't quite catch onto that concept. rolleyes )
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Neither did Patrick "The Royals at Hogwarts" Doyle.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Long time ago since I watched it, but as far as I remember I think he did a damn good job. The best score is still Azkaban though, that worked wonders in the film.