• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    Zimmer never will surpass his score for At world's End.

Im sure one of his underlings (Badelt? It could be ironic....) will take his job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2008
    Well if you're talking about him surpassing AT WORLD'S END in the pirates of the Caribbean franchise (or other similar ones) then i agree but if you're talking generally in his career, he had surpassed it a couple of times already, imo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008
    Agreed. And I don't know about World's End... The first two tracks of DMC are just so powerful.

Actually, I'd sum it up that way: DMC has the best singled-out moments of the series, but World's End is the better, most well-rounded album overall.

Plus, World's End has "Up Is Down". woot!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Methinks he can do as well as, if not surpass, AWE. But we're talking about the man who wrote Prince of Egypt and The Lion King! He might as well do better! wink biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, all those years ago rolleyes I love Zimmer, i really do. But apart AWE, the last score i remember from him that really impressed me in terms of the quality and types of music he has delivered all those years, was DA VINCI CODE.
  1. I think Zimmer just keeps getting better. I think each score in the Pirates franchise got progressively better. Da Vinci Code was pretty good. Take a look at Crimson Tide against some of the things he's written lately. AWE, to me, is just Zimmer at his best. And since he just keeps getting better I would expect some more music on the level with AWE or better in the not too distant future.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yes but if you exclude AWE (which i did too above) what other recent example of his music showcases this tendency of him to get betteR?
  2. Depends on the definition of recent. I would say Spanglish.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Stallion : Spirit of the Cimarron!!!!!!!!

I could listen to "Riding Free" all day.

But, granted... that was quite a few years ago...
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
  3. Run Free you mean?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    'Run Free' is a personal favourite of mine. Particularly good when I'm running. Free.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Of course those are good! Spanglish and spirit are top works! I mean recent RECENT as in Kung Fu Pandas and friggin simpsons and blah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Run Free you mean?

Yes, yes I do. Read my mind, not my words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Of course those are good! Spanglish and spirit are top works! I mean recent RECENT as in Kung Fu Pandas and friggin simpsons and blah.

Just ordered my Kung Fu Panda copy and haven't heard it yet. And I rank Simpsons as "cute", but not anywhere as good as As Good as it Gets. (wow try saying that three times fast)

But I think it's still too early to talk about a "Zimmer drought". When AWE is over 5 years old, if he hasn't come up with anything else brilliant at that point, then maybe we can say he's not as good as he used to be. But right now I think it's still too early and I still give him the benefit of the doubt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, you have a point there. I too am just waiting. But if FROST/NIXON or ANGELS AND DEMONS are equally "cute" too (in a metaphorical way of course, not as in actually sounding like simpsons), then i'd say that the grace period is quickly shortening!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2008 edited
    eheh, well, if I didn't have tremendous patience, I'd probably have given up on composers like Mark Isham by now. Truth be told, his jazzy voice such as Quiz Show and Little Man Tate bores to no end, but I've been waiting all these years for another Fly Away Home. If I had given up on him, I probably would've missed Miracle and Racing Stripes. Glad I didn't! Sometimes a composer's grace period must be extended however long it takes for the right project to come along!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2008
    I found 3 pictures of the Hans Zimmer concert in 2000, in Ghent
    http://www.filmfestival.be/features2.cg … edition=27

(just click on the picture to go to the next)
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    I found 3 pictures of the Hans Zimmer concert in 2000, in Ghent
    http://www.filmfestival.be/features2.cg … edition=27

(just click on the picture to go to the next)

This Burgers, Hans.....This burgers...

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

I don't know about Simpsons, but what's wrong with Kung Fu Panda? confused Have you seen the movie?
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    Haven't seen it myself (I missed so many summer movies this year), but I'm expecting the CD in the mail any day now. I'm hoping it's good and catchy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008
    Madagascar: Escape 2 Africa soundtrack release:

Date: 11/04/08
    Label: Geffen
    UPC: 602517884595

Cover
    -> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/6 … SS500_.jpg
  4. Universal Pictures FYC website has four clips of the score to "Frost/Nixon" up:

http://www.universalpicturesawards.com/
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008
    Repetitive, tone-down, more serious version of THE WEATHER MAN. Not bad but nothing special either, kinda disappointing. Let's wait for the full score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2008 edited
    Wow..the first track "smoking" has the same sound of Bourne scores! It seems a copy and paste!

The first time Zimmer does this so scandalous.

The last 2 tracks are deliciously Zimmerish and they seems perfect for the mood of the film (much better than what Horner could have done...Probably reprising his sneakers motif shame )
  5. Hmmm, to me the score is rather Glass than Powell inspired. It's somewhat rather minimalistic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2008
    Nautilus wrote
    Wow..the first track "smoking" has the same sound of Bourne scores! It seems a copy and paste!

The first time Zimmer does this so scandalous.

The last 2 tracks are deliciously Zimmerish and they seems perfect for the mood of the film (much better than what Horner could have done...Probably reprising his sneakers motif shame )

Ummm, no. The repetitive rhythmic structure is something Hans does much more than John did for the Bourne score. And just because the track has some rhythm paired with string doesn't mean it's a Bourne rip off.

Demetri is more correct with the assertion of a Weather Man-esque score, but with more strings. And it does have that Phillip Glass feel to it. Very intimate and arthouse type of score a la Two Death.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, didn't hear the Bourne references either. It's off-beat and small-scale, cold approach with minimalistic elements a la Weather Man and some parts of MATCHSTICK MEN. If it's anything like those 2 scores in the end, i'll probably give it a lot of listens as i've done with the afore-mentioned. I like it when Zimmer goes this route.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
  6. Thanks, I like that last track a lot!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2008
    Sound pretty good to me so far! Eagerly waiting for the full thing biggrin